RAID0 trim and SRT seems possible on 6-series and 5-Series

Page 17 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Fernando 1

Jul 29, 2012
1. Ok the sata id says controller id#2822 alternate#1c04. 2.from your post #70 of this thread it was the modded 3509 bios. 3.Well i hope i did it right i used the EZ flash on the board,it worked and the raid rom shows 11.7.0.1702.
If you have flashed the BIOS, which I had modified for Brahmzy on 11/24/2012, it is clear why you didn't get TRIM into your P67 chipset RAID0 array. You will understand what I mean after having read >this< post.
This is what I recommend to do:
Garikfox is offering the newest BIOS 3602 for your mainboard, where the special TRIM supporting Intel RAID ROM v11.6.0.1702 (modified by me for 67+Z68 on 11/25) is already integrated. You should flash his BIOS version, which you can get >here<.
Alternatively you can download the BIOS 3509, which I have offered on 11/25 for Brahmzy. It will support TRIM for the Alternate Device ID 1C04. You can download it from >here<.
I am sorry for the inconvenience.

Please report here, if the new BIOS really did enable TRIM for your RAID0 array.

Kind Regards
Fernando

Last edited:

jimbill

Dec 22, 2012
Thank you so much fernando 1 what a great christmas gift,i will update the bios and give it a try,and if it works ill report back. edit here to report back and to say it is now working. again thank you so much.happy xmas

Last edited:

TooYellow

Nov 28, 2012
If you have flashed the BIOS, which I had modified for Brahmzy on 11/24/2012, it is clear why you didn't get TRIM into your P67 chipset RAID0 array. You will understand what I mean after having read >this< post.
This is what I recommend to do:
Garikfox is offering the newest BIOS 3602 for your mainboard, where the special TRIM supporting Intel RAID ROM v11.6.0.1702 (modified by me for 67+Z68 on 11/25) is already integrated. You should flash his BIOS version, which you can get >here<.
Alternatively you can download the BIOS 3509, which I have offered on 11/25 for Brahmzy. It will support TRIM for the Alternate Device ID 1C04. You can download it from >here<.
I am sorry for the inconvenience.

Please report here, if the new BIOS really did enable TRIM for your RAID0 array.

Kind Regards
Fernando

I'm curious about the results as well. I have the P8P67 Pro on 3602 from garikfox and I have TRIM problems in Win8. I realize they're different boards but they're also very similar...

Fernando 1

Jul 29, 2012
edit here to report back and to say it is now working.
That is very good news - thanks for your feedback. I am glad, that you got TRIM into your P67 RAID0 at least.

Merry Christmas!

I'm curious about the results as well. I have the P8P67 Pro on 3602 from garikfox and I have TRIM problems in Win8. I realize they're different boards but they're also very similar...
Yes, I have no explanation for this behaviour of your P67 RAID0 system (Win7: TRIM works, Win8: TRIM doesn't work). Other P67 users, who had flashed Garikfox' special TRIM BIOS, reported, that TRIM was/is active within their RAID0 on both Operating Systems.

davidm71

Nov 13, 2008
Was anyone experiencing weirdness since doing the rom patch on a Z68 similar hardware? All of a sudden my programs don't launch and 'my computer' doesn't list files randomly. Weird thing is my AMD machine also is doing this despite AV scans all in the negative..

Fernando 1

Jul 29, 2012
Was anyone experiencing weirdness since doing the rom patch on a Z68 similar hardware? All of a sudden my programs don't launch and 'my computer' doesn't list files randomly. Weird thing is my AMD machine also is doing this despite AV scans all in the negative..
To be honest I cannot see any relationships between the change of 2 Bytes of the Intel RAID ROM module and the issues you reported.

davidm71

Nov 13, 2008
To be honest I cannot see any relationships between the change of 2 Bytes of the Intel RAID ROM module and the issues you reported.

Hi,

I don't know if becuase I created a new stripe array with the new 11.6.1702 orom that Windows 7 64 install dvd fails to read the partition to install the os and fails even if I try to load the raid drivers from a usb key. I know this isn't related to the raid trim conversation but if you try to install Windows 7 fresh you may not be able to do so if you have an old windows 7 DVD..

Thanks

retiredfields

Dec 6, 2012
I too get on and off trim in Windows 8 64. This is with both the IRST 11.7 and 11.6 drivers and the orom modded bios.

Run a file delete test and all gets zeroed out. Run another test, a minute later, and no evidence of trim working. Run the new "optimize" Windows 8 function, it says that it is sending trim updates, but either no changes on the array, or trim works and all is zeroed out. Re-boot and trim may work again.

This happens with both my Intel and Samsung Raid 0 array's. Something is going on with Windows 8 that hasn't been identified yet. I know the trim function works with this mod, but only intermittently. Windows 8 definitely does not send the trim command every time a file is permanently deleted.

Asus P8p67 deluxe, 3602 bios mod.

Last edited:

Makaveli

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2002
Ok so I finally got around to doing the Raid 0 setup with my 160G2's.

So first thing even with intel ssd's you cannot run the optimizer on the drives in an array.

Second it looks like there is no alternate ID with the tool dufus created.

And then 3rd question for all of you that are on raid is it normal to have the host writes go up alot in an array. The intel tool box allows me to check the host writes for each drive in the array.

Fernando 1

Jul 29, 2012
So first thing even with intel ssd's you cannot run the optimizer on the drives in an array.
Maybe this is caused by the almost outdated Intel MSM RAID ROM v8.0.0.1038 your Intel RAID Controller is currently using.
Second it looks like there is no alternate ID with the tool dufus created.
This indacates, that your X58 chipset mainboard doesn't have an Intel 5-Series SATA RAID Controller (maybe it's an ICH9R or ICH10R one).
And then 3rd question for all of you that are on raid is it normal to have the host writes go up alot in an array.
Look >here<.

Merry Christmas!
Fernando

Makaveli

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2002
Maybe this is caused by the almost outdated Intel MSM RAID ROM v8.0.0.1038 your Intel RAID Controller is currently using.
This indacates, that your X58 chipset mainboard doesn't have an Intel 5-Series SATA RAID Controller (maybe it's an ICH9R or ICH10R one).
Look >here<.

Merry Christmas!
Fernando

About the Raid Controller ROM.

I grabbed a copy of my bios and added the new 1106 Raid ROM too it but after flashing it my system was doing some weird stuff at the bios screen. So I went back to the default bios for now until I try it again.

And yes the controller on my board is ICH10R.

Interesting so I look at that link from toms.

It seems Msn messenger and chrome are the two biggest causing writes.

Before I formatted I had setup a RAM drive to store my browser caches I may have to set that up again.

Last edited:

Fernando 1

Jul 29, 2012
About the Raid Controller ROM.
I grabbed a copy of my bios and added the new 1106 Raid ROM too it but after flashing it my system was doing some weird stuff at the bios screen. So I went back to the default bios for now until I try it again.
It is possible, that the BIOS structure of your mainboard doesn't allow to insert an Intel RAID ROM module with a size of > 100 KB.
This is what I would do:
  1. Update the Intel RAID ROM from MSM v8.0.0.1038 to RST v10.1.0.1008 (size: 85 KB uncompressed).
  2. As long as you are not able to update the Intel RAID ROM to an RST(e) v11.5/11.6/11.7 one, I would use the "normal" Intel RST driver iaStor.sys v11.2.0.1006.

Makaveli

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2002
It is possible, that the BIOS structure of your mainboard doesn't allow to insert an Intel RAID ROM module with a size of > 100 KB.
This is what I would do:
  1. Update the Intel RAID ROM from MSM v8.0.0.1038 to RST v10.1.0.1008 (size: 85 KB uncompressed).
  2. As long as you are not able to update the Intel RAID ROM to an RST(e) v11.5/11.6/11.7 one, I would use the "normal" Intel RST driver iaStor.sys v11.2.0.1006.

*Update*

Got it to 1008 now.

I also found some of your threads on the other boards on the net fernando. And it looks like most asus x58 boards won't accept rom's over 100k, there was one guy that got it working but think he found some beta bios that allowed it to work. All the newest raid roms are 120k and won't work so the best rom I can load is 1008. I've noticed better performance with this rom compared to my stock but no trim. However it seems the garbage collection on the raid is working fine. When the machine is idle long enough my numbers get close to clean state numbers.

Last edited:

njetty

Dec 28, 2012
Hello

I can't get Trim to work and I've tried everything posted here. Can anyone help me?

Motherboard: Asus P8Z68-VPRO (6 Series)
Bios: 3603 (Modified)
Intel RST Drivers: 11.7.0.1013 (Latest)
RAID ROM Version: 11.6.0.1702 (Modified, From Fernando, Thank You)
RAID 0 Array: 2 X OCZ Vertex 3 (128 KB Stripe Size)
CPU: i7-2600K @ 3.4 Ghz
Memory: 4X DDR3 Kingston 1600 (32GB Total)

I verify trim is not working by saving file to c drive. I then look at file with hex editor. Note a unique text sequence. Then open drive in hex editor. Search for text sequence and note the sector/offset location. Delete the file (including Recycle Bin). Go back and open drive in hex editor and see if text sequence is still at sector/offset location. I've tried multiple reboots, etc.. Nothing works.

Last edited:

MaxICH

Nov 19, 2012
Hello

I can't get Trim to work and I've tried everything posted here. Can anyone help me?

Motherboard: Asus P8Z68-VPRO (6 Series)
Bios: 3603 (Modified)
Intel RST Drivers: 11.7.0.1013 (Latest)
RAID ROM Version: 11.6.0.1702 (Modified, From Fernando, Thank You)
RAID 0 Array: 2 X OCZ Vertex 3 (128 KB Stripe Size)
CPU: i7-2600K @ 3.4 Ghz
Memory: 4X DDR3 Kingston 1600 (32GB Total)

I verify trim is not working by saving file to c drive. I then look at file with hex editor. Note a unique text sequence. Then open drive in hex editor. Search for text sequence and note the sector/offset location. Delete the file (including Recycle Bin). Go back and open drive in hex editor and see if text sequence is still at sector/offset location. I've tried multiple reboots, etc.. Nothing works.

I'm not sure what you are doing wrong, but I can tell you that on my P8Z68-VPRO with the same bios, with the modified ororm, trim works great.

njetty

Dec 28, 2012
I'm not sure what you are doing wrong, but I can tell you that on my P8Z68-VPRO with the same bios, with the modified ororm, trim works great.

How do you verify trim is working. Is my technique for validating Trim functionality correct?

njetty

Dec 28, 2012

I may have missed a step. In your post you said you manually modified the orom file. I did not do this. Should I have?...

The orom was edited using the LUT info provided by Dufus as follows:

"07 1C 00 00 01" to "07 1C 00 00 07" and "06 1C 00 00 01" to "06 1C 00 00 07"

MaxICH

Nov 19, 2012
I may have missed a step. In your post you said you manually modified the orom file. I did not do this. Should I have?...

The orom was edited using the LUT info provided by Dufus as follows:

"07 1C 00 00 01" to "07 1C 00 00 07" and "06 1C 00 00 01" to "06 1C 00 00 07"

I modded the Intel orom myself, but if you used the orom posted by Fernando you shouldn't need to.

Ao1

Apr 15, 2012
Yes, I just have checked it. The actual BIOS 1.20 for the ASRock Extreme11 contains the newest Intel RAID ROM v11.6.0.1702.

Yes!

Hi Fernando, TRIM works with the Extreme11 BIOS 1.20. For some strange reason Windows 8 sees the Intel RAID 1 array as a Hard Disk Drive. TRIM does however work. The Intel RAID 0 array is seen correctly as a Solid State Drive. Windows 8 sees the on board LSI RAID 0 array as a Hard Disk Drive and TRIM does not work in that configuration, however single drives on the LSI controller are able to pass and execute TRIM commands. (MDSA Trim IOPS Count reflects successfully completed TRIM operations. MDSA Trim DSR Total Count just reflects the fact that TRIM commands were issued).

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Fernando 1

Jul 29, 2012
Hi Fernando, TRIM works with the Extreme11 BIOS 1.20. For some strange reason Windows 8 sees the Intel RAID 1 array as a Hard Disk Drive. TRIM does however work.
I really doubt, that TRIM is active within your RAID1 array. Do you have any proof of it (by hex editor test or similar method)?
By the way: Did you run the Windows Experience Index (WEI)?
This is the best way to let the SSD be detected as SSD by the OS.

Ao1

Apr 15, 2012
I verified TRIM with hIOmon.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
I re-ran the WEI, but the RAID 1 and LSI RAID 0 array are still showing up as HDD. By the way if I run Optimse in Win 8 for the RAID 1 array it runs through the passes and then TRIMs in the same way the RAID 0 array does.

Fernando 1

Jul 29, 2012
I verified TRIM with hIOmon.
This is not an approved TRIM test.
By the way if I run Optimse in Win 8 for the RAID 1 array it runs through the passes and then TRIMs in the same way the RAID 0 array does.
I do not recommend to use the Win8 "Optimizer" for SSDs, which are shown as HDDs, because it probably will defrag them as well.

Ao1

Apr 15, 2012
hIOmon can observe TRIM I/O operations within the I/O stack, which then pass down to the device. The device then returns a completion status back up the I/O stack. If the device returns a completion status hIOmon assumes that the TRIM operation was successful. What and when the device does with a TRIM operation is vendor specific.

With the RAID 1 array the device is returning a completion status, so quite reasonably hIOmon assumes that the TRIM operation was successful, however I double checked with a Hex Editor and TRIM is not working at the device. The instruction is issued and a successful status is returned, but the device is not executing the command.

This is quite odd. It’s also odd that the RAID 1 array is showing up as a HDD and that during a Win 8 optimization it states the drive is being trimmed.

Fernando 1

Jul 29, 2012
It’s also odd that the RAID 1 array is showing up as a HDD and that during a Win 8 optimization it states the drive is being trimmed. [/FONT][/COLOR]
You should not use the Win8 "Optimize" function for SSDs, which are shown as HDDs. The tool will not optimize, but simply defrag them, which is not a good process for SSDs.