Rage3d G80 review

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Nelsieus

Mar 11, 2006
Originally posted by: josh6079
And you concentrate on those points I brought up and supported with evidence rather than on the comments I made saying that the G80 will most likely be the best buy come Q1 07 because...?
Because they are comments you made, and I don't see why you'd like to discredit them when it's of conveniance to you, then resort back to them.

Originally posted by: josh6079And? I can go to any reputable forum and see thread after thread discussing issues the reviews didn't bother to address.
Then I'm not sure what boards you're visiting, because I don't seem to find that. And I don't want to get this wrong, but are you now discrediting reviewers? Because that seems rather ridiculous if you are.

Originally posted by: josh6079However, commenting on what they need to do is a right everyone is entitled to.
You are embellishing "what they need to do," though, which isn't accurate, and that's why you continue to be called out.

josh6079

Diamond Member
Mar 17, 2006
Because they are comments you made, and I don't see why you'd like to discredit them when it's of conveniance to you, then resort back to them.
I haven't discredited them, just asked why you pick only them and not any of my others when you say that I am collectively bashing the G80.

If I were really bashing the G80, I wouldn't comment on it's strengths or say that it's strengths outweigh its weaknesses (which they do).
Then I'm not sure what boards you're visiting, because I don't seem to find that.
Then you have misread a lot of pages of this thread, since there were several links up to this point that would have carried you straight to them.
And I don't want to get this wrong, but are you now discrediting reviewers? Because that seems rather ridiculous if you are.
Not at all, just saying that a lot of them haven't given the whole story which can be found by reading both reviews and owner's comments, something I've been doing.
You are embellishing "what they need to do," though, which isn't accurate, and that's why you continue to be called out.
Why is commenting on their problems and stating what they need to do inaccurate?

Gstanfor

Banned
Oct 19, 1999
Its quite pointless trying to have any sort of reasonable discussion with Josh. He (and redbox and others) know very well what they are doing.

Josh is deceitful, twists facts and drags irrelevant arguments into these debates every single time he turns up and one, and frankly, I don't care if the mods ban for a week for saying that or not. If they do, then so be it.
What Josh and others conveniently ignore that the complaints they love to focus on, here and in others forums form a miniscule minority of everything users write about G80. Most have nothing but praise, and an understanding that the minor flaws that do exist will be fixed with time.

So be it. One week off for you.

AnandTech Moderator

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
Originally posted by: Gstanfor
Its quite pointless trying to have any sort of reasonable discussion with Josh. He (and redbox and others) know very well what they are doing.

Josh is deceitful, twists facts and drags irrelevant arguments into these debates every single time he turns up and one, and frankly, I don't care if the mods ban for a week for saying that or not. If they do, then so be it.

What Josh and others conveniently ignore that the complaints they love to focus on, here and in others forums form a miniscule minority of everything users write about G80. Most have nothing but praise, and an understanding that the minor flaws that do exist will be fixed with time.

Ever consider the possibility that what you are doing is much MUCH worse than anything you claim the others (me incluced) do?

Your every post demonstrates the foundation of the reason you are here at all. It's not to discuss tech I can tell you that much. You are here for the sole purpose to get "revenge" on people who like ATI products (whether they are fanatical about them or just enthusiastic does not matter to you) and who gave nvidia users a hard time in the past. You have given yourself this mission out of pure sickness. Your festering malignancy was made extremely clear when you displayed the desire for that ATI PR rep's meal to take his breath away permanently. That just blew my mind and just about everybody else's mind on this board who read that statement of yours.

All your crude references like: f&ckwit, scum, scumbag, batsh!t and plenty of others pretty much show the rest of us the level of intellect we are dealing with. The best thing that could happen to AT video at this moment is for you to either stop posting, or a moderator seeing to it that you can't post at all. Almost everyone else in video are capable of having decent, anti-biased and respectful conversations in here. There are a few who need to work on their people skills, but as long as you're still here, they appear completely benign in comparison.

So, here's hoping that the mods can grant the rest of us an early Christmas gift. I hope we won't see you here for 2007.

josh6079

Diamond Member
Mar 17, 2006
Josh is deceitful, twists facts and drags irrelevant arguments into these debates every single time he turns up and one, and frankly, I don't care if the mods ban for a week for saying that or not.
Point to these facts that I've twisted.

The links I've provided are to threads where real G80 owners have shared their distress and they've ranged from "clueless newbs with no clue how to properly build a highend system that suffer from PEBKAC" to XtremeSystem Moderators who know their fair share about piecing together great rigs. Even some of our own constructive Anandtech members have chimed in with their opinions regarding the G80's drivers and early problems.

The links you've provided have been to unrelated threads where you have accused me of being a ChrisRay impersonator. Furthermore, your posts not containing irrelevant thread links have instead contained irrelevant tangents that have done nothing but get the Mod's attention.

If you re-read the thread you will see that the "debate" originally began with you not thinking XP-Pro 64-bit should bother to be supported and that it wasn't a problem.
What Josh and others conveniently ignore that the complaints they love to focus on, here and in others forums form a miniscule minority of everything users write about G80.
I never said that the problems were universal. That was your selective reading.
Most have nothing but praise, and an understanding that the minor flaws that do exist will be fixed with time.
I think you need to understand something. I have been thinking about possibly getting a G80 since they arrived and I don't know about you, but I like to research what I buy before I buy it. There are two sources for the kind of information I need about the G80: Reviews and User discussion.

Reviews give a good knowledge base about it, describing its design and core structure, even dipping into possible overclocking performance. While they can give very detailed information it isn't in the degree that say a forum thread can be in since it is published to the net as a document presenting a polished table of information.

User discussion can give insight as to what may happen with practical use and how other games besides those found in a normal benchmark perform, thus other information besides that found in a review. They aren't typically designed to be as polished and presentable as a review and those commenting on the product are active in the discussion about it. Also, their answers can, depending on the user, be more case-specific whereas a review may try to be as broad as can be. I'm sure you yourself have used these two sources before buying a product, though, maybe not.

I was immediately interested in the G80's, particularly the 8800GTS overclockability. Once I saw the performance of the GTX, I thought about how much the trimming the GTS model took affected it. I even PMed a Mod suggesting the G80 overclocking thread be stickied for a while after the G80's came out--and for a while it was.

Yet after the first impressions wore off--afterall, there were some heavy first impressions brought when we saw one GTX giving better performance than the previous SLI and CF setups--I began to see what would happen if I were to hope for the best and expect the worst. Nothing is worse than being disappointed in a product that you pay good money for.

So I started to search around the forums, looking at what multiple sites have said about the G80 and it didn't take long for me to find information discussing what has gone wrong with some. Then upon looking at what areas reviews haven't paid attention to, to areas where forums have, I found out that there was both a unparalleled performance the G80 could give as well as an array of troubleshooting that was mostly due to rushed driver support.

After doing enough research to decide to wait myself before possibly getting a G80, I thought I would at least support why I hold the certain opinions that I do--and you can relax because they are just my opinions--by showing some of the threads that have made this impression on me. It is also starting to seem like others understand there are improvements to be made with the G80: Click

So take my posts not as "some fanatic with an agenda" but as a consumer whose agenda was to find out as much about a product before making a purchase on it. I only hope you will understand the reasons for wanting to relay both types of information, hence why I praise informative reviews such as Rage3D's as much as I do informative user discussions like those found in forum threads.

Gstanfor

Banned
Oct 19, 1999
No, Josh has been desperately seeking trouble for G80 ever since it launched.

First he seized upon my & bfg10k's concern that combined AA modes were missing, but gave up on that when he couldn't get reactions and decided to play the buggy driver hand instead.

Then in the other thread, he tried muddying the waters about what a monopoly is and isn't - first insisting nvidia was a monopoly and then that they were not. The only reason he did that was to divert attention away from ATi's situation.

Not to mention dredging up "SLI issues" that aren't issues at all and trying to portray them as though everyone is suffering from them.

Remove all his posts from this thread (and my responses to them) and there would be no arguing at all in it, and 70% of the other thread would magically cleanup as well.

I certainly hope somebody adequately compensates him for his troubles

josh6079

Diamond Member
Mar 17, 2006
No, Josh has been desperately seeking trouble for G80 ever since it launched.
Why don't you ask the people I've PMed about upgrade options if I've been thinking about getting a G80? Ask nitromullet, Wreckage, and gerrson. They'll be sure to inform you about what video card I've been leaning towards for my Q1 07 upgrade.
First he seized upon my & bfg10k's concern that combined AA modes were missing...
That's because you're not alone in your concern. It's an AA option that many want to see return, myself included.
Then in the other thread, he tried muddying the waters about what a monopoly is and isn't - first insisting nvidia was a monopoly and then that they were not.
You're joking right?
...nvidia however, proudly stands alone...NVIDIA isn't a monopoly.
Remove all his posts from this thread (and my responses to them) and there would be no arguing at all in it, and 70% of the other thread would magically cleanup as well.
I wouldn't mind taking one for Anandtech. It's been good to me and if getting rid of me meant getting rid of you then I have no objection. I can live without posting about corporate lawsuits with no ruling and PR statements to people who really don't care. I come here for the other posters I like to talk casually and intelligently with and for the civilized discussion that can take place without you in it. Interesting that you still want to talk about me more than the issues being discussed though. I know you're taking Ackmed's absence roughly, but please, I'm hardly the substitute...
I certainly hope somebody adequately compensates him for his troubles...
So is that the Frasier-form of "I hope something takes his breath away permanently?"

I've tried explaining to you my reasons for presenting information other than, "G80 is soooo awesome", but it seems you simply can't be reasoned with.

I knew that toilets flushed backwards in Australia but I didn't think the people thought backwards too. You're giving everything you're apart of a bad name, including Anandtech.

Gstanfor

Banned
Oct 19, 1999
You have been nothing but trouble since you first showed up here. I can remember what the forum was like without you.

SilentRunning

Golden Member
Aug 8, 2001

So be it. One week off for you.

AnandTech Moderator

Some people will never learn.