Radiohead and the state of rock today. Dennil, get in here!

Tetsuo316

Golden Member
Mar 14, 2000
Tomorrow, the new Radiohead album comes out. Will it salvage my opinion of the current stae of rock and roll? I've noticed over the past four years or so that rock and roll music has really started to suck. I've never been one to listen to the radio, so I've depended on the reviews of albums from magazines, and from recommendations from friends. There haven't been that many reviews or recommendations that have made me go out and buy the album. There are very few new albums that deliver the same force that albums did a few years ago. I think Ben Harper is carrying the flame rather well. I enjoy Cake's last two albums, and I'd consider myself a big fan of there's, but they're the exception rather than the rule. Beck is still hangin' in there even though he had to release a Prince tribute album (I loved that too). I'm not going to list all the albums that I've liked that have come out in the last few years, but just understand that I used to buy a CD every two weeks or so, and there just haven't been that many albums that I've been excited about in a long time.

I hate Kid Rock. I hate Limp Bizkit. I hate Creed. I hate most of the music that passes for rock and roll lately. this has come to me ocer the last few days I think primarily because I've been listening to Smashing Pumpkins' Siamese Dream almost non-stop. That was a good album! What happened?! Music is so disappointing now! Am I just getting old or what? I'm only twenty for chrissakes!

I pretty much feel the same way about Rap. It all sounds the same to me now. Ever since that DMX album got popular, every new rap single has some raspy-voiced guy. The new De La album helped, but there's nothing new! It's all the same bands still delivering, but no new faces!

Don't even get me started on the pop music system right now. I'm about one "Bye bye bye bye" away from mowing down every boy band I see with an AK.

...This concludes our rant, and we now continue with our regularly scheduled posting.

loup garou

Lifer
Feb 17, 2000
That new De La album is tight. I've been surviving on Guster lately...a little folky, I guess I've been smoking to much lately. ;)

EDIT: Totally agree with you on the state of rock and rap lately.

snoogans

Banned
Sep 14, 2000
Radiohead is going to restore your faith in rock? Radiohead isn't rock. They may be classified as such but they're far from it. As are Cake and Beck for that matter. Kid Rock, Limp Bizkit, KoRn, etc...they're classified as hard rock but I see them more as rock and bands like Pantera, SlipKnot, etc.. are more hard rock.

Anyway, I'd say the bands you mentioned are more like alternative-rock. Third-Eye Blind, Vertical Horizon, etc...they're in that category. The stuff you would hear on college radio or something.

I haven't listened to the radio for a few years now...got tired of songs I hate 50 times a day. Go the underground...signed bands but with little exposure. Find un-signed if you want...just dig deeper and look in different places. There is good stuff out there that few people are listening to because of Britney Spears and N'Sync.

Magazines are too trendy for their own good too...if you find a reviewer that has the same taste as you then you *may* be able to trust them but rarely so. In my experience, they don't know what they're talking about and no bios are given for the reviewers so you never know their credentials. Listen to what you want...not what they think you should and not what's "cool" to listen to.

Not telling you what to do...just trying to help.

TheShiz

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
you want to hear something amazing, go buy:

Dream Theater - Metropolis Part 2: Scenes From a Memory

best CD put out in the last couple of years if you ask me, these guys are incredible. If you've heard Dream Theater in the past and didn't like it, give this CD a chance, its a lot different.

WilsonCat

Nov 12, 1999
TheShiz,

THANK YOU! Another person with some taste in music. Let the music take you on a journey. Dream Theater will be your guide.

BigSmooth

Lifer
Aug 18, 2000
snoogans, Radiohead can really not be classified as "college rock" with stuff like the bands you mentioned. Those bands are much more straightforward "let's find a riff, slap on some distortion and repeat" (and I'm not saying their music is bad, because this formula will spit out a catchy tune or two). Actually, I'd classify the Dave Matthews Band as "college rock", but their musicianship and writing ability is excellent.

Beck also doesn't fit in that mold. Listen to Odelay! or Midnite Vultures. Every song is not just "alternative". There are way too many influences that show up in his music like funk, R & B, 80's, retro pop, etc. to even classify him at all.

As for Radiohead, sure, their first single was "Creep", but they've come a long way since then. Their recent music is so much more... it's actually hard to describe... complex? Adventurous? Challenging? They don't make the kind of record you can listen to all the time, and that's a good thing. I've heard much of Kid A, and it is more removed from "pop" than even OK Computer, if you can believe that. Honestly, just putting some headphones on and listening to a Radiohead album all the way through is an awesome experience. It's not instant gratification... afterward, "doo doo doo, doo da doo doo" won't be bouncing around in your head, but you will hear some great rock tempered by a good dose of weirdness, and it makes for beautiful, haunting music.

Every radio/MTV rock song I hear these days can be put in one of two catagories:

1) Creed clone.
2) Limp Bizkit clone.

Rock is shot.

Best album this year IMHO is the new Rancid. Straight out 1985 style hardcore/punk.

snoogans

Banned
Sep 14, 2000
I liked Dave...everyone seemed to like Dave. It was refreshing and fun but the guy hasn't done anything recently except rehash his old stuff. I still listen to some of his stuff now and then but I've lost interest overall. Maybe if he'd get back in the studio...

I don't like to label stuff because a lot of artists don't fit into one main category. Save for the Smash Mouth's and whatnot. I understand not all of Radiohead and Beck is alt-rock and everyone has different opinions of what artist fits in what label.

Although, I haven't heard anyone use labels as much as magazine music reviews. I think they just make up their own genre to make it seem like they know what they're talking about: Trip-Hop, Mellow-psychadelic-rock, etc.. Honestly, what is that supposed to mean? They follow the same format too...quote a few lines, name a few songs, and give it a rating. Few people have the ability to be a good critic and it seems as if magazines rarely find good ones.

What's stagnant about rock now is the marketing machine. What sells, what doesn't sell, etc... They couldn't care less about the music. Currently, what sells is heavily distorted power chords and yelling vocals. I happen to like that, but not when everything starts to sound the same.

Creed is horrible and Kitty is getting more praise than they should

Tetsuo316

Golden Member
Mar 14, 2000
exactly, what sells and what doesn't sell...

when i said magzines, i didn't exactly mean spin or rolling stone, i meant local zines in my town, or the occaisional AP. that's where I found the cool reviews that led me into the record store to buy a 7" Redd Kross album or some sh*t. yeah, and father than go through all the labeling process of hard-rock, trip-rock, alt-rock, blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah i just said rock. all my qualification for rock is, is does it rock? does third eye blind rock? nope. sooo, into the pop category they go.

i might be able to handle rancid, but i just can't deal with the frontman's voice...tim something right? it's been a while since i listened to op ivy or any hard punk/ska punk for that matter.

<< i might be able to handle rancid, but i just can't deal with the frontman's voice...tim something right? it's been a while since i listened to op ivy or any hard punk/ska punk for that matter. >>

Tim Armstrong. Actually there are three frontmen. Tim, Lars and Matt. Tim does most of the vocals. I admit his voice is annoying at times but on this album he is quite good. Lars totally changed his style for the new album. Matt sounds the same as always, he delivers one of the best tracks on the disc (Black Derby Jacket).

DAM

Diamond Member
Jan 10, 2000
FYI: the incubus cd, make yourself is great, give it a spin you will love it, i know this was mentioned before, but i just bought the cd, yes i actually bought a cd, and it was well worth the 20 dollars.

FYI2: the only cds i buy, are all the counting crows cd's ever released, man i love those guys.

dam(u)

Feb 10, 2000
IMO Radiohead has been the best band in the world for a few years now. I saw them live in San Francisco in support of OK Computer in 1997 and it took my head off. I would stack OK Computer up against any album, ever; just brilliant. I think it is kinda funny that many people still associate them with Creep, and have not heard them, as their music has progressed to be worlds more challenging and complex and wonderful, in years. I actually find it comforting, as I have never been much of a joiner with the crowd, musically.

I have been listening to Kid A nonstop for a few weeks and it has grown on me, in spite of my initial skepticism (kinda like OKC, come to think of it).

They are supposedly releasing another, more accessible album in the spring - yay!

snoogans

Banned
Sep 14, 2000
Jesus man...you paid 20 for Incubus?? Where do you live?

I've found that Best Buy has the best CD prices...10-14.

20 is a bit much but it is a good album. Tool, if you haven't listened to Tool then get off your computer and go to the music store. Or find some samples before you go but man is it worth the money. All 3 are good but I'd start with &quot;Aenima&quot;

Morcheeba is great too but they're more mellow (the majority). Rainy day, sex music, depressed, that kind of thing

DAM

Diamond Member
Jan 10, 2000
i live in college station, texas, and that is why i dont buy cds, hell im a poor college student, very poor :(

ohh to work to go to school

dam()

Farbio

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2000
snoogans, dave is mixing a new album due out sometime this fall...he played alot of it on tour this summer, sounds pretty good...a lil different from his old, but still dave

snoogans

Banned
Sep 14, 2000
Ah, good to know, Farbio, thanks

They just put a Best Buy in, didn't they, Dam? I have a buddy up there but I'm in Houston myself...I have 3 within driveable distance :)

Tetsuo316

Golden Member
Mar 14, 2000
just gave kid a my first listen and i like it. a lot. usually album's take a while to absorb, but this one i liked right off. mmmmm. i finally have a new cd so i can give my other staples a little more rest. i swear that my clash-combat rock cd was going to wear right through.

Tee_edwards I heard about that new album too. it's supposed to be more of the verse-chorus-verse type of album, but i'm sure that doesn't mean much considering it's from radiohead.

snoogansi used to listen to tool a lot, but my musical tastes have mellowed out a bit over the last couple of years too. i still respect them as musicians, and can listen to them no problem, but i just wouldn't buy an album, becasue i'm so infrequently in the mood to listen to some really hard rock music.

Dam i'm a poor college student too, but there are priorities, man! who needs to eat when you can gain sustenance from music? ;-)

DAM

Diamond Member
Jan 10, 2000
yeah we got a BB here recently, but since i cant stand their service i only will go there if i HAVE to, but now that i know cds are usually cheaper ill go there whenever, in a blue moon, i decide to buy a cd.

dam(bastards)

SuperGroove

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 1999
Snoogans,

Morcheeba is NOT rock. You're delving into another genre. The trip hop genre. The best stuff is the 'ol Bristol mellow trip hop. Esthero/Doc had their moment though. You guys should try trip hop...refreshing departure from the norm.

slunk

Golden Member
Feb 2, 2000
I live in college station, texas now, and the music here truly blows (there isn't any). I lived in Denton for a year and got rather spoiled by great music. I think Radiohead is the greatest band out there today. I've loved them for years. I can't even turn on the radio becasue all I hear is crap. If you want to hear some great music, go to Radio Goodand listen to their radio station. It is run by a store in Deep Ellum, in Dallas. The store is called Good Records and is partially owned by two members of Tripping Daisy (my second favorite band) who are now in the Polyphonic Spree (awesome). Some albums you should definitely check out are Tripping Daisy's last two albums, Jesus Hits Like the Atom Bomb and Tripping Daisy. These are two of the greatest albums ever created. I also enjoy listening to the Flaming Lips, Blind Melon (Soup and Nico), Tortoise, Smashing Pumpkins (download Machina II), Grandaddy, Galaxie 500, and others. Give a listen to some of those albums if you get a chance. Great rock music is still out there, it's just not predominantly found on the corporate radio waves.

Mucman

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Another vote for Dream Theater! They kick ass! you can always go out and try to collect the Rush collection :)
Another modern band I really like is Spock's Beard; they are heavily influenced by Yes and it shows in their music.

Testsuo watch out! I just recruited a P233! It's gonna be a close finish!