Info Radeon VII owners/buyers thread

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Furious_Styles

Jan 17, 2019
Can't fault you for being self-interested, but that is kind of cold. They were already expensive @ MSRP.

Agreed. As scummy as scalping is there's some fault on those that pay those prices. Irony of it is he wants to pay the premium for the 2080 ti :)

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Agreed. As scummy as scalping is there's some fault on those that pay those prices. Irony of it is he wants to pay the premium for the 2080 ti :)

Consider that the ones he bought could have gone to those same people @ MSRP had he not bought them up and then resold them. Radeon VII is extremely supply-limited. They sold out in less than a day, worldwide.

I don't like seeing people pay over $1k for cards like this on eBay, but if you really want one and somebody is buying up multiples just to resell them later after supplies dry up, what other choice do they have? They either pay the scalper or they get nothing.

Furious_Styles

Jan 17, 2019
Consider that the ones he bought could have gone to those same people @ MSRP had he not bought them up and then resold them. Radeon VII is extremely supply-limited. They sold out in less than a day, worldwide.

I don't like seeing people pay over $1k for cards like this on eBay, but if you really want one and somebody is buying up multiples just to resell them later after supplies dry up, what other choice do they have? They either pay the scalper or they get nothing.

Yeah it totally sucks I agree. Hopefully it doesn't take too long for them to get back in stock.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
If they come back in stock, I'll post about it here and try to get people clued-in before the scalpers hit again. I have mine coming Tuesday, so I don't need another for myself, but if I can help someone else get one for MSRP from the AT community then I will.

Reactions: DeathReborn

n0x1ous

Platinum Member
Sep 9, 2010
anyone get their activation for the 3 free games yet? I put in the AMD code but still says waiting for all 3 games even though RE2 has been out for a few weeks

Last edited:

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Cards are back in stock at amd.com for who knows how long. Have been since about 11 am this morning (only just got up). If you've been wanting one, now is the time!

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
Glad to see there is some availability. I'm good though.

Anyone get theirs yet buying direct from AMD?

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
I'm waiting on reviews. If they aren't much better than V64, then there's my goto......V64.
CEO Lisa Su danced around the questions about RVII (7) on the story located on Anandtechs front page.. My guess is that it won't be much better than V64 despite the limited benchmarks that AMD used when they announced it. Likely just optimized drivers for it. Time will tell.
I can't wait to see her dance around this one.
https://www.techpowerup.com/252476/amd-radeon-vii-has-no-uefi-support

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I already made $750 from selling 3 of these cards, one more to go and I can buy a 2080ti or do a system rebuild.
I knew AMD fanatics would pay top dollar to own these overpriced cards.
Thanks AMD.

Inflamitory post. You should know better.
Markfw
Anandtech Moderator

As if it's any surprise that you were doing this. Everyone knew it.

Reactions: kawi6rr

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
I wonder if any of the water block manufacturers are planning products for this card... seems like it could still benefit from some aftermarket cooling, nice as the OE shroud looks.

EDIT: a little searching shows that EK might be planning one.

Krteq

May 22, 2015
I hope so. I'm planing to buy this one later with FC blok on it :)

PhonakV30

Oct 26, 2009
If you have card, Please check card with CMS off/on in BIOS.TPU title is nonsense. UEFI =! Security Boot

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
While I hope none of you are foolish enough to buy Radeon VII from eBay right now (amd.com still has them in stock; see OP), it seems that secondhand market prices are coming down. eBay has them for as little as $899 shipped. It looks like market pressure is finally starting to even out.

SniperWulf

Golden Member
Dec 11, 1999
I take it many of you don't have a Microcenter close by? I've had 2 of these in my possession over the weekend. One from the AMD shop, one from microcenter. My brother nabbed one from Microcenter as well.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
I take it many of you don't have a Microcenter close by? I've had 2 of these in my possession over the weekend. One from the AMD shop, one from microcenter. My brother nabbed one from Microcenter as well.

Negative on my end. My card is finally here though, so we'll see how quickly I can get this deployed. Might not be until Friday before I can do anything "serious" with it.

edit: amd.com is once again out of stock. I'll keep everyone posted so long as this product stays fresh on the market.

Last edited:
Reactions: SniperWulf

n0x1ous

Platinum Member
Sep 9, 2010
Just got my launch day 7 from AMD direct. Included hand written thank you note from Dr Su and 3 AMD t-shirts

Thanks Lisa and AMD!

tajoh111

Mar 28, 2005
Since everyone is within the return period and purchased from AMD.com I think you guys have the right to know that your product only comes with a 1 year warranty that is none transferable, has no shipping included and is way more restrictive than normal warranties.

https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/rma-radeonvii-sold-by-amd

The important term to note is solely at AMD discretion.

and includes the following.

THIS LIMITED WARRANTY SHALL NOT APPLY TO YOUR PRODUCT IF AMD DETERMINES IN ITS SOLE DISCRETION THAT THE ALLEGED FAILURE OF THE PRODUCT TO MATERIALLY CONFORM TO THE SPECIFICATIONS DOES NOT EXIST OR WAS CAUSED BY, RELATED TO OR AROSE OUT OF MISUSE, NEGLECT, IMPROPER USE, INSTALLATION OR TESTING, UNAUTHORIZED ATTEMPTS TO OPEN, ALTER, REPAIR OR MODIFY THE PRODUCT OR SOFTWARE, UNAUTHORIZED ATTEMPTS TO REMOVE OR ALTER ORIGINAL IDENTIFICATION MARKINGS, OPERATION OUTSIDE OF THE SPECIFICATIONS (INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, WHERE CLOCK FREQUENCIES OR VOLTAGES HAVE BEEN ALTERED – EVEN WITH USE OF AMD SOFTWARE), COMBINATIONS WITH INCOMPATIBLE THIRD PARTY PRODUCTS, THIRD PARTY VIRUS, INFECTION, WORM OR SIMILAR MALICIOUS CODE OR ANY OTHER CAUSE OUTSIDE THE SCOPE OF THE INTENDED USE OF THE PRODUCT, OR BY ACCIDENT, FIRE, LIGHTNING, FLOOD, OTHER HAZARDS, OR ACTS OF GOD. THIS LIMITED WARRANTY WILL NOT APPLY TO PRODUCTS USED FOR NUCLEAR RELATED, WEAPONS RELATED, MEDICAL OR LIFE SAVING PURPOSES, OR ANY OTHER SITUATION WHERE THE FAILURE OF SUCH PRODUCTS MIGHT BE REASONABLY EXPECTED TO CAUSE INJURY TO PERSON OR PROPERTY.

The following is Sapphires.

Product Warranty will not be deemed valid even if returned after purchase for the following cases:
  • Products that are defaced or physically damaged and modified by customer.
  • Products that become non-functional due to improper use by the customer
  • Products that cannot be verified as original SAPPHIRE products.
  • Products that do not have the same serial number on the product and the original receipt.
  • Products not purchased from an official SAPPHIRE distributor or reseller.
  • When Proof of Purchase cannot be provided
Notice AMD specifically mentions any change in clocks or voltage while sapphires does not.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson–Moss_Warranty_Act

Looking under this act, because AMD specified these scenarios, AMD protect themselves from warrantying your product because consumers are given the benefit of the doubt normally.

Any warrantor warranting a consumer product to a consumer by means of a written warranty must disclose, fully and conspicuously, in simple and readily understood language, the terms and conditions of the warranty to the extent required by rules of the Federal Trade Commission. The FTC has enacted regulations governing the disclosure of written consumer product warranty terms and conditions on consumer products actually costing the consumer more than $5. The Rules can be found at 16 C.F.R. Part 700.

Under the terms of the Act, ambiguous statements in a warranty are construed against the drafter of the warranty.

Likewise, service contracts must fully, clearly, and conspicuously disclose their terms and conditions in simple and readily understood language.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Just got my launch day 7 from AMD direct. Included hand written thank you note from Dr Su and 3 AMD t-shirts

Thanks Lisa and AMD!

I got my card as well, which I will address in a separate post. But I did not get any T-shirts, nor did I get a note. I must have ordered too late on launch day, or something. Oh well.

It's okay, they don't have to love me. It's hard to love cyber zombies anyway. Mostly, people just hit them with wrenches.

Since everyone is within the return period and purchased from AMD.com I think you guys have the right to know that your product only comes with a 1 year warranty that is none transferable, has no shipping included and is way more restrictive than normal warranties.

Thanks, I think? I would be surprised if anyone needed to invoke the warranty (given how the card is built) but you never know . . .

Last edited:

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Initial impressions of this card versus my VegaFE are: wow

Fans: I used to run my VegaFE's blower fan balls out at 4k RPM. It was pretty loud. I am running my Radeon VII fans @ 3850 rpm. It makes less noise.

Voltage/performance: I've been experimenting with undervolting. It seems that the current driver package (the drivers from 2/13/2019) do in fact allow true undervolting. I've got mine running @ .983v right now, with stock clocks. With the fans running full blast, the card never goes over 77C junction temperature and 53C GPU temp during Unigine Superposition. It scores the same as stock voltage (which was nearly 1.2v) - in the ballpark of 16950 and 17035 across multiple runs - and pulls ~370W from the wall.

That's on a R7 1800x @ 4.0 GHz, DDR4-3333 system with an EVGA P2 750W (89-92% efficiency).

For reference, my VegaFE when running full blast (+50% power limit, undervolt to 1.1v) would pull ~510W from the wall full system (same system as above) and score ~15000 in the same benchmark. Note that I had to run my card like that to get it to sustain clocks. Radeon VII has no problem sustaining full clocks EXCEPT that it seems to go to 98% GPU utilization in some parts of the bench where clocks lower. I am curious as to why that is happening. Might be that I am CPU-limited. It does this no matter what voltage I give the card.

Right now I see no memory voltage options in Wattman. Sadly.

I haven't tried any overclocking Radeon VII yet.

edit: here's what you see in the .xml files produced by Wattman for Radeon VII (this example is my undervolt profile with fans at 100 at every temperature point)

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<GPU DevID="66AF" RevID="C1">
    <PPW Value="1"/>
    <FEATURE ID="4" Enabled="True">
        <STATES>
            <STATE ID="0" Enabled="False" Value="808"/>
            <STATE ID="1" Enabled="False" Value="1304"/>
            <STATE ID="2" Enabled="False" Value="1801"/>
            <STATE ID="3" Enabled="False" Value="808"/>
            <STATE ID="4" Enabled="False" Value="1801"/>
        </STATES>
    </FEATURE>
    <FEATURE ID="12" Enabled="False">
        <STATES>
            <STATE ID="0" Enabled="False" Value="707"/>
            <STATE ID="1" Enabled="False" Value="816"/>
            <STATE ID="2" Enabled="False" Value="983"/>
        </STATES>
    </FEATURE>
    <FEATURE ID="5" Enabled="False">
        <STATES>
            <STATE ID="0" Enabled="False" Value="1000"/>
        </STATES>
    </FEATURE>
    <FEATURE ID="9" Enabled="False">
        <STATES>
            <STATE ID="0" Enabled="False" Value="0"/>
        </STATES>
    </FEATURE>
    <FEATURE ID="8" Enabled="False">
        <STATES>
            <STATE ID="0" Enabled="True" Value="0"/>
            <STATE ID="1" Enabled="True" Value="0"/>
            <STATE ID="2" Enabled="True" Value="0"/>
        </STATES>
    </FEATURE>
    <FEATURE ID="17" Enabled="False">
        <STATES>
        </STATES>
    </FEATURE>
    <FEATURE ID="19" Enabled="False">
        <STATES>
        </STATES>
    </FEATURE>
    <FEATURE ID="20" Enabled="False">
        <STATES>
        </STATES>
    </FEATURE>
    <FEATURE ID="21" Enabled="False">
        <STATES>
        </STATES>
    </FEATURE>
    <FEATURE ID="22" Enabled="True">
        <STATES>
            <STATE ID="0" Enabled="False" Value="32"/>
            <STATE ID="1" Enabled="False" Value="100"/>
            <STATE ID="2" Enabled="False" Value="50"/>
            <STATE ID="3" Enabled="False" Value="100"/>
            <STATE ID="4" Enabled="False" Value="72"/>
            <STATE ID="5" Enabled="False" Value="100"/>
            <STATE ID="6" Enabled="False" Value="94"/>
            <STATE ID="7" Enabled="False" Value="100"/>
            <STATE ID="8" Enabled="False" Value="105"/>
            <STATE ID="9" Enabled="False" Value="100"/>
        </STATES>
    </FEATURE>
</GPU>

Last edited:

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
Blowers almost always make more noise; that aluminum casing didn't help with the Vega 64 and FE. My Limited model was definitely louder than my reference black; may have run hotter too ironically. The new cooler on the VII was one of the highlights for me; I actually hope they continue the trend going forward.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Last update for a bit:

Seems like undervolting can produce some undesirable side-effects. Even if you get it stable, there's a voltage range (mine is probably .975-.990v) where the card will produce odd blotches of color briefly during benchmark runs. At first I only saw it in unigine titles, but I saw it in Timespy too. Watch very carefully for this effect. I've never seen a card produce such effects.

In any case, my "stable" voltage is up to .991v right now without notable difficulty.