Info Radeon VII owners/buyers thread

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
I just realized I never tested this for you with a memory overclock, so I just tried and I'm seeing the same thing. Even with my modest 1060 MHz memory clock for mining, when I start running GPUPI the memory only runs at 800 MHz. That's still using the previous driver though - I haven't installed the newest one yet.

Thanks! So it isn't just me. I updated to 19.2.3 and got the same problem. They fixed the Dishonored 2 bug though. Nice of em. It doesn't crash in 19.2.3 like it did in 19.2.2 .

Sorry, not this weekend ... courier lost my package at my local depo! I'm fuming now, will have to wait till Monday or Tuesday before I can join the fun :(

Seriously? Ugh. It may not be possible to replace that if they again run out of stock.

lightmanek

Feb 19, 2017
Thanks! So it isn't just me. I updated to 19.2.3 and got the same problem. They fixed the Dishonored 2 bug though. Nice of em. It doesn't crash in 19.2.3 like it did in 19.2.2 .

Seriously? Ugh. It may not be possible to replace that if they again run out of stock.

I've checked with dealer, and they have 20+ cards, but the delay is killing me!

guskline

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2006
lightmanek, my package was delayed a day due to a snow storm. It worked out. BTW check out the latest Games Nexus youtube on the watercooling results for the Radeon VII

Reactions: lightmanek

guskline

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2006
Just pre-ordered a Bykski waterblock for my Rad VII from the Bykski US site. Expected to ship @3-25-19.

Reactions: n0x1ous

Topweasel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2000
Got my AMD.com Radeon VII in today. Have to give AMD a lot credit on this. Easily their best OEM cooler in years.

lightmanek

Feb 19, 2017
My VII arrived! This is 2nd card I paid for as first was truly lost. I will get refund in due course.

Initial tests are in line with others. I ran card up to 1930MHz with 1.16V stable and HBM2 at 1.2GHz.

Card works really well with 1V and stock clocks using a lot less power than my Vega56 did.

At 1630MHz I can run this card at 0.9V and it uses 50% of power compared to my old card, brilliant!

In some tests it's almost 50% faster compared to OC Vega but on average I see 20% to 30% improvement in FPS.

Heaven 4.0 Benchmark using extreme preset at QHD shows that there are corner cases with massive performance jump! My min. FPS jumped from 8.9FPS on Vega 56 to 35.9FPS on VII!

Unfortunately I will have very little time to play with my card till weekend, but will update you guys when I get a chance.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
@lightmanek and @Topweasel

Congratulations on getting your cards. Hope you both enjoy them. I'll have to rerun my 1585 MHz tests on Radeon VII to see how far down I can get my voltage, but the power draw I saw from the wall wasn't that much lower than when I was running my standard undervolt of .990V @ 1802 MHz. Still a really efficient card if you're willing to tune in on a sweet spot.

Alcolawl

Feb 15, 2019
So I took the plunge last night and decided to lap the stock cooler after a user on OCN claimed he got incredible results from it. The coldplate was warped, and though I had never wetsanded or lapped anything in my life I decided to give it a shot. After about an hour or so of sanding, I had a result that I was decently happy with. Threw the card back together with a lot of Gelid GC Extreme paste and kept the washer mod I had performed before hand.

Results are meh at best. I'm tempted to take the card apart again and lap the coldplate some more but I don't want to push my luck. Junction Temperature delta compared to the core went from 30-35*C to 20-25*C. Nothing crazy. During a 4 minute superposition run with the core are 1825 MHz @ 972mV, fans at 51%, temps were 64*C Core, 88*C Junction. Not stellar.

I'll update if I decide to lap the cooler some more, but after an hour of lapping, I'm worried that I'll take too much off of the coldplate and hinder my performance.

Feld

Aug 6, 2015
So I took the plunge last night and decided to lap the stock cooler after a user on OCN claimed he got incredible results from it. The coldplate was warped, and though I had never wetsanded or lapped anything in my life I decided to give it a shot. After about an hour or so of sanding, I had a result that I was decently happy with. Threw the card back together with a lot of Gelid GC Extreme paste and kept the washer mod I had performed before hand.

Results are meh at best. I'm tempted to take the card apart again and lap the coldplate some more but I don't want to push my luck. Junction Temperature delta compared to the core went from 30-35*C to 20-25*C. Nothing crazy. During a 4 minute superposition run with the core are 1825 MHz @ 972mV, fans at 51%, temps were 64*C Core, 88*C Junction. Not stellar.

I'll update if I decide to lap the cooler some more, but after an hour of lapping, I'm worried that I'll take too much off of the coldplate and hinder my performance.
I wouldn't say a 10 degree drop in junction temp is meh at all. I'd say that's a great result! Very encouraging.

Alcolawl

Feb 15, 2019
I wouldn't say a 10 degree drop in junction temp is meh at all. I'd say that's a great result! Very encouraging.
Realistically, there's been maybe 2-3*C drop in junction temps compared to the stock cold plate when running stock clocks or my daily undervolt. I noticed, however, when overclocking to 1900+ that junction temps came down maybe 5-8*C during benchmarks (100% fans), which is nice, but still not temperatures I'd feel comfortable running for extended periods of time (gaming). And the fan noise... lol. I have a feeling those temps would be a bit higher after extended use.

lightmanek

Feb 19, 2017
I had a chance to quickly test ETH mining performance on Vega 20 and things are looking good!
VJ5VTIo.png

This setting requires 300W from the card and is just to show potential of this card.

When set to match my Vega 56@64 optimized setting power draw of 139W, this card does 76MH/s to 80MH/s compared to 43MH/s!!
HBM2 clocks have no effect on performance till you hit 1860MHz core and according to my rough math and observations, to saturate 1.2GHz HBM2 I would need to push my core to around 2.1GHz!
One thing to note, HBM2 still starts to throttle at 85C, so cooling is very importatn factor for optimal card performance :)

Reactions: Feld

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000

Glad you got some results. A lot of people were saying not to use regular paste (or liquid metal) thanks to the difference in package height thanks to the HBM2 dice. I will say your junction temp isn't that great, though. My unadultered card hits 83C junction temp tops running 1440P Superposition (other settings Medium). That's with a GPU temp of 56C.

When set to match my Vega 56@64 optimized setting power draw of 139W, this card does 76MH/s to 80MH/s compared to 43MH/s!!

That is pretty efficient.

One thing to note, HBM2 still starts to throttle at 85C, so cooling is very importatn factor for optimal card performance :)

85C GPU temp, or 85C TJunction? I haven't noticed HBM2 throttling at any temperature yet, except when running OpenCL2.0 benchmarks.

Alcolawl

Feb 15, 2019

Came home today and decided to lap the cooler again. I basically almost started from scratch and polished up the coldplate much better this time and I'm much happier with the flatness and the overall polish of the coldplate now. Took about an hour. I, once again, slapped a ton of Gelid GC Extreme on there and re-assembled the cooler. Unfortunately I must report that there is no measurable difference in temps compared to my first time lapping the cooler. At least I know now that I did my best instead of wondering whether or not lapping it better the second time around would yield better results.

At this point the only other thing I can think of doing (without spending more money on this small project) is messing with the torque on the screws that hold the backplate bracket on. As I mentioned earlier, I've also done the washer mod, which made no difference. It's possible that I've mounted the bracket too tight. Will investigate.

Glad you got some results. A lot of people were saying not to use regular paste (or liquid metal) thanks to the difference in package height thanks to the HBM2 dice. I will say your junction temp isn't that great, though. My unadultered card hits 83C junction temp tops running 1440P Superposition (other settings Medium). That's with a GPU temp of 56C.

To clarify my Superposition runs, they're 4K Optimized with the clock speeds, voltages, and fan speed mentioned above. What speed do you normally run your Radeon VII's fans at?

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
Still haven't put my VII through its paces yet, but now that I've finished testing my OC on my now-delidded 8700K I should be able to do my VII justice at 5.1GHz no AVX offset. Have to make sure to eliminate CPU bottleneck :D

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
85C HBM2 temp, you need GPU-Z to read that sensor ;)

Oh okay. I had GPU-z with partial support for Radeon VII, but not full. Now that I'm updated to 2.17 I can track that sensor.

To clarify my Superposition runs, they're 4K Optimized with the clock speeds, voltages, and fan speed mentioned above. What speed do you normally run your Radeon VII's fans at?

Depends, if I run my overclock I run em balls out at 3850 RPM (heh) but for my undervolt setting, I use default fan profile right now. It never goes past 2500 RPM, and it doesn't hit that speed very often.

Still haven't put my VII through its paces yet, but now that I've finished testing my OC on my now-delidded 8700K I should be able to do my VII justice at 5.1GHz no AVX offset. Have to make sure to eliminate CPU bottleneck :D

Glad you mentioned that. There are several benches like 3DMark Ice Storm where I'm curious as to the odd performance of Radeon VII. The clockspeed on the card throttles down pretty low for benches like that, no matter what I do. I'm wondering if it's CPU bottleneck (R7 1800x @ 4.0 GHz) or something else entirely.

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
Glad you mentioned that. There are several benches like 3DMark Ice Storm where I'm curious as to the odd performance of Radeon VII. The clockspeed on the card throttles down pretty low for benches like that, no matter what I do. I'm wondering if it's CPU bottleneck (R7 1800x @ 4.0 GHz) or something else entirely.

We'll see when I get a chance to bench it. I found stable settings for 5.2GHz AVX loads but takes more voltage and power than I'd like so hopefully 5.1GHz is plenty. I may try for 5.2GHz with a -1 AVX offset just to split the difference.

Despoiler

Golden Member
Nov 10, 2007
I just put in my order for a Radeon VII. I had moved up to a 1440p 144hz Freesync monitor a few months ago. My undervolted and overclocked Vega 56 isn't terrible by any means, and Freesync works well, but I need to regain some frames from the increase in resolution.

I have to give accolades to AMD for selling directly through AMD.com so people can get the MSRP price. In stock and not being gouged.....thank the PC hardware gods.

Alcolawl

Feb 15, 2019
One last update on lapping the stock cooler.

I took the card back apart to give everything a once over and once again slapped a bunch of paste on there. I removed the nylon washers, as it seemed to be interfering with screwing the backplate bracket all the way down. I made each screw extremely hand tight. Any tighter and I fear I'd damage the card.

Additionally, I spoke to the OCN user who first lapped his cooler and created the picture guide. After an in-depth discussion with pictures of my work on the cooler, we concluded that I'd actually done a pretty good job on lapping the cooler. We further verified this by running Firestrike at the same settings as his card and comparing scores and temperatures. Temperatures were nearly identical. Afterwards, I began to push the card to it's limits in Firestrike with Registry Mods. Final results before I went to bed:

Core Clock: 2122 MHz
Core Voltage: 1185mV
Memory Clock: 1200 MHz
Max Core Temperature: 68°C
Max Junction Temperature: 90°C
Fan Speed: 100%
Driver Version: 19.3.1
Firestrike Graphics Score: 31722

Some Observations:

While benchmarking, I get several 100 MHz dips below the average frequency, which I can't seem to mitigate. Perhaps I need a more powerful registry mod, but at any rate it's affecting my scores. Also, fan speeds get stuck at 100% even when I change them back to 50% in between test runs (purely for noise), which is pretty annoying. Biggest thing to note here is that these clocks are in no way even close to being usable as daily settings or for gaming. I even tried running 4K Superposition with the above clocks and I think I made it to Scene 3 before Junction temperatures hit around 103°C. I stopped the benchmark. Firestrike doesn't use as much power or push the card as hard. Realistically, for extended gaming sessions, my maximum clocks are 1900 MHz @ 1033mV with the memory at 1100 MHz and fan speeds topping out at 55% for noise purposes. Memory speeds also seem to barely have any effect on gaming benchmarks. I benchmarked The Division (DX12) yesterday several times with different settings. Going from 1000 MHz to 1200 MHz increased average framerates by about 2-3% (108 FPS to 110 FPS). This is margin of error stuff and not worth the extra heat.

All in all, I was enamored by the amazing temperatures that some users were achieving with the lapped cooler. What I didn't realize was that this was during Firestrike, which isn't nearly as demanding as 4K Optimized Superposition and maybe 1-2 minutes shorter. Lapping the cooler certainly has made a difference in junction temps, as I mentioned earlier in this thread, by about 6°C or so in some situations. I was aiming for a dramatic decrease in temps, but this cooler just isn't up to the task. I daydream of maybe strapping three 80mm fans to the heatsink instead of the stock fans and shroud to see if there would be any increase in performance while being dramatically quieter. If you want to push this card passed 1950 MHz or so without the ridiculous noise of the stock cooler, turn to water cooling.

Hope this helps someone in the future. It's been fun playing around with this card. I'm currently on the fence as to whether I'd want to water cool this puppy later on down the road. Perhaps Alphacool will release an AIO. That'd be ideal.

Last edited:
Reactions: lightmanek and Feld

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
@Alcolawl

Thanks for all your reports, and I agree with your general sentiment about the limitations of the stock cooler. I'm guessing you used registry mods to raise power limits beyond +20%? Also, at this time, there doesn't seem to be any reliable way to force the card to hold a specific clockspeed.

@lightmanek I reran some of my 1585 MHz tests and got voltage down to .881V without artifacts. Total system power in 1080p Superposition was ~300W. It scored maybe 100-150 points higher than my Vega FE that would burn 500-510W total system power.

guskline

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2006
Alcolawl, also thank you for all of your work.

I quickly ordered the Bykski water block when it was announced.

With rare exception, I have used EK blocks but I wasn't sure at the time of the Bykski announcement that EK would even release a block. In addition, most reviews give Bykski an OK.

Perhaps the "closer" for me was Steve Burke's comments from his Gamer's Nexus YouTube video of the CLC cooler test of the Radeon VII when he mentioned that even at stock the "water cooled" Radeon VII ran faster than theone with a stock cooler.

It seems the thermals from the gpu/HBM2 core really are producing most of the heat. He also mentioned that the VRMs didn't heat up appreciably without additional cooling when stock.

One of the problems with some water blocks is the lack of good VRM cooling. Hopefully, the Bykski full water block addresses this.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Only issue I would have with the Bykski block is that it puts nickel in your loop. If you don't want that, then too bad. EK may be no better though (haven't seen theirs yet).