Radeon Vega Architecture Preview Thread

railven

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2010
Sign me up for more info! See if RTG can do what AMD can't!

Also, that video...I'm really not getting what they are most likely trying to imply/sell.

I see a sole Radeon Drummer walking empty streets stumble across a warehouse of unused Radeon drums. Yeaaaaahhhhh....

The cynic in me would say that summarizes AMD in a nutshell. Haha.

Erenhardt

Diamond Member
Dec 1, 2012

Also, that video...I'm really not getting what they are most likely trying to imply/sell.

I see a sole Radeon Drummer walking empty streets stumble across a warehouse of unused Radeon drums. Yeaaaaahhhhh....

More info:
http://videocardz.com/65288/amd-vega-architectural-upgrades-revealed
AMD-Vega-architecture-1000x505.png

HBM2 confirmed

railven

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2010
Videocardz has gone on my "roll eyes" list. They oversold Polaris. Gonna wait and see what AMD or a site I trust more comes up with.

But here is hoping my next card is a Radeon!

EDIT:

I bit, reading their article their opener is a good sprinkle of salt.

This buzzword cloud reveals that VEGA has 2x peak throughput per clock and 4x higher power efficiency. What we don’t know is what was compared to VEGA.

If they are comparing it to Polaris, yawn. If they are comparing it to Fiji. My ears are perked.

EDIT #2:

Hmmm.... Radeon Vega? Why does that not sound as appealing? AMD adding yet another new name to their stack? Will they not use Fury this time?

Last edited:

swilli89

Golden Member
Mar 23, 2010
Several Easter eggs in the video including a "poor Volta" poster.

RussianSensation

Elite Member
Sep 5, 2003
If AMD delivers, my 1070s are out the door! Hoping for 45-50% gain over the Fury X at 4K. Fingers crossed for 4096 shaders @ 1525mhz = 12.5Tflops FP32.

TimCh

Apr 7, 2012

dacostafilipe

Oct 10, 2013
About the "High Bandwidth Cache Controller" thing. Do you remember this:

3QS1jdP.png

Could this be the first usage of an active "Base Die"?

A Radeon SSG comes to mind, where the SSD would not be addressed by PCIe, but directly over the GPU PHY ...

Bacon1

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2016
Hmmm.... Radeon Vega? Why does that not sound as appealing? AMD adding yet another new name to their stack? Will they not use Fury this time?

While fury ended up being solid products the name was tarnished so starting over a with a fresh name would be good.

daxzy

Dec 22, 2013
If AMD delivers, my 1070s are out the door! Hoping for 45-50% gain over the Fury X at 4K. Fingers crossed for 4096 shaders @ 1525mhz = 12.5Tflops FP32.

A straight up die shrink of Fury from 28nm to 14nm should yield at least a 30% gain. If it isn't a 40%+ gain, then its a disappointment.

Vesku

Diamond Member
Aug 25, 2005
Hope videocardz is right about the rasterizer improvements.

May get a Vega GPU, from 480, if it has enough rasterizer changes to comply with DX 12_1.

ddogg

Golden Member
May 4, 2005
Pretty excited to see what AMD brings to the table. Crossing my fingers they have a solid competitor to the 1080 or even the Ti/Titan XP as I'm itching to upgrade

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

beginner99

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2009
how accurate is this picture?

ur0HalTTnxZZ1fNVPtgx1WM-D6t1X5DGRCqpweAppX0.png

As far as I remember this was discussed already almost a year ago in the polaris threads due to AMD patents. So simplified it's probably true. AFAIK the main content of the patent was that you can combine the blocks (except the single block) together into 1 block as well to get a 16-bit wide SIMD. So 1 CU in this case can do 1 16-wide + 1 2-wide SIMD or 1 8-wide, 2 4-wide 1 2-wide SIMD at same time. I think the 2 4-wide blocks can also be combined to a 8-wide block but not sure about that.

EDIT:

It's explained well in the reddit thread the image is from

Last edited:

Ancalagon44

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2010
I'm more concerned about whether they are replacing Polaris 10. Reason being, I have just ordered an RX 480 4GB, and it gets delivered tomorrow. Should I return it and wait for Vega?

Budget won't stretch for anything that has GDDR5X or HDM2.

TimCh

Apr 7, 2012
I'm more concerned about whether they are replacing Polaris 10. Reason being, I have just ordered an RX 480 4GB, and it gets delivered tomorrow. Should I return it and wait for Vega?

They are not replacing Polaris, Vega will slot in higher in their line up. They will continue to sell P10 for at least another year (it might get rebranded at some point).

May 11, 2008
how accurate is this picture?

ur0HalTTnxZZ1fNVPtgx1WM-D6t1X5DGRCqpweAppX0.png

The impression i get from this, is that with the standard 4x16 wide simd units, and one does not utilize all bits in a simd unit, all those transistors still have to switch.
That consumes current and wastes power. With variable length simd units, there is less dissipation if part of the simd unit that is not used is left idle for example with clock gating.
Thus less dissipation, and more thermal headroom thus more boost clock headroom. AMD is with Polaris and Zen and Vega fully into the thermal headroom mantra.
If the chip is cool enough, clock it up until the maximum allowable clock. The idea is similar to what cpu's do. When only 1 of 4 cores is 100% utilized and the other 3 are less utilized, the cpu will boost the clock of that core to the maximum allowable clock until the cpu core reaches the thermal limit.

p.s.
Of course, this is already available for some time on gpu and cpu designs.
If the text above is really the case, AMD refined it a lot. Sensors everywhere on the chip...

Last edited:

ConsoleLover

Aug 28, 2016

Probably won't see any new additions at least until late summer for a refresh of polaris. Though I'm hoping the Vega architecture can spart price wars at all price points, and therefore affecting mid range segments, where I can snap up a cheaper RX 470 or 480.

fingerbob69

Jun 8, 2016

Well, if the drum represents a single gpu, then a warehouse full of them would imply stock sufficient for a release is available now. Given Vega has been announced and publicly demo'd already ...at the New Horizon event ...then why would AMD be counting down to 'just' another announcement?

Still, the hype train doesn't need any more fuel, least of all from me! :)

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

Will your budget at least stretch for an 8gb 480? If you can find a deal, return the 4gb card for an 8gb 480!

Vega--at least this initial release--is a higher-end line that is not replacing P 10, and will probably be 3+ months away, anyway.

prtskg

Oct 26, 2015
Well, if the drum represents a single gpu, then a warehouse full of them would imply stock sufficient for a release is available now. Given Vega has been announced and publicly demo'd already ...at the New Horizon event ...then why would AMD be counting down to 'just' another announcement?

Still, the hype train doesn't need any more fuel, least of all from me! :)
AMD received first vega samples from fab around december. There is no way vega will be released in q1.