Radeon team chooses Kabylake over Ryzen

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
Was that to highlight gaming performance?
No. But apparently, the combination if the 2 has a lot of power, and since no benchmarks that I have seen shows this, I thought I would mention it.

Reactions: Drazick
Mar 10, 2006
To me a little odd. Did you hear about the petaflop computer with 20 EPYC processors and 80 VEGA cards ?

That's not for gaming, though. Gaming wants very fast single threaded CPU performance (latency sensitive), which is why the 7700K is still the best CPU for gaming even with all of the excitement around SKX and TR.

Doom2pro

Apr 2, 2016
The OP kinda sounds like he is suggesting Radeon group doesn't think AMD's CPUs are good enough but what I took away from the decision is that AMD knows there are a lot of people out there that own 7700K CPUs and they don't want to imply by using AMD CPUs that Vega is only for AMD Fans, they are clearly marketing towards that gamer out there that loves high frame rates.

dwade

Jun 25, 2017
Well if the bottleneck is THIS bad, I too would use the competitor's CPU to show off the latest graphic card.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
This is so stupid.
Because you can easily offset the cpu advantage by pitting it against the nvidia on a Ryzen CPU.

You dont need to use a 7700K over a Ryzen to show off a gpu prowess, you just pit it against the competitor using the same exact bed. Unless your trying to break world records.

It really tells the public, "Sorry our Ryzen cant beat a 7700K in gaming."
Which will later translate to, "Oh noes, CoffeeLake will rip us a new one."

Not a smart move from AMD... not at all...

The OP kinda sounds like he is suggesting Radeon group doesn't think AMD's CPUs are good enough but what I took away from the decision is that AMD knows there are a lot of people out there that own 7700K CPUs and they don't want to imply by using AMD CPUs that Vega is only for AMD Fans, they are clearly marketing towards that gamer out there that loves high frame rates.

again... no.
It clearly means the AMD CPU is not good enough.

If they wanted to show prowess, they just need to cross compare on the same bed.
That would show the GPU Prowess.
Instead by changing the bed to a INTEL Platform its to either go after WR, which denotes, "RYZEN IS NOT GOOD ENOUGH".

you can sugar coat it anyway you like, but going on a intel platform means just that.
Ryzen is NOT good enough.

This is why i said its such a stupid move on AMD.
And this will only enforce more gamers to look at INTEL for future Gaming systems, instead when they could of secured more Ryzen sells, by showing off how well the complete AMD package holds.

Its like this.... so what if the AMD package gives u 77FPS vs Intel's 90FPS..
The fact the AMD package could do 77FPS and cost less, would secure more sales for AMD.
Instead people will go OMGWTFBBQ i want the 90FPS shown off, and kill sells for Ryzen for gaming PC setups.

It may boost GPU sales... but at this point GFL getting one over the hording Bitcoin miners.
So wouldnt you want to boost CPU sales and not Neuter it when there will clearly be a shortage on GPUs, since every bitcoin miner in the world will be picking them up as soon as it says instock.

Last edited:
Reactions: Phynaz

UglyDuckling

May 6, 2015
I don't understand the point of this thread? we all know Ryzen is fast enough to drive even a crazy 1080Ti SLi system, it's just that the 7700K handles resources better in some games vs the Ryzen chip so it's better suited for a gaming orientated benchmark. Not only this but almost all reviewers out there are using intel based hardware as their test benches.

rbk123

Aug 22, 2006
Not only this but almost all reviewers out there are using intel based hardware as their test benches.
This. Sure they can use a Ryzen and compare against Nvidia with a Ryzen but since no one does that, they would be shooting themselves in the foot. It has to be clear they are as fast or faster than Nvidia; anything less, or even that confuses things, will result in no traction in reducing the continued market dominance by Nvidia. Aigomorla isn't even close to on target this time.

SPBHM

Diamond Member
Sep 12, 2012
7700K is faster for gaming and gaming benchmarks, it's no secret, AMD have been using Intel test platforms for their cards for a very long time.
strange that people think this is news worthy.

GaiaHunter

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2008
Yeah.
Lets imagine AMD using NVIDIA cards with Ryzen and having everyone and their mothers complaining that AMD was crippling the NVIDIA cards since NVIDIA didn't have time to optimise for Ryzen.

The 5GHz 7700K gets the highest max FPS and the highest AVG FPS. It may or may not get the highest MIN FPS vs a 4 GHz Ryzen chip and it may or may not get the smoothest gaming experience. But that is a bit nuanced.

Zucker2k

Golden Member
Feb 15, 2006
Please, let's stop dancing around the problem. If Ryzen+VEGA was faster than Kabylake+1080, AMD would have taken ads on TV to make sure every gamer on the planet knows about it, especially since they're trying to push a full AMD platform.to consumers. The 7700k is the only chip that churns out the best numbers with either company's cards.

exquisitechar

Apr 18, 2017
Please, let's stop dancing around the problem. If Ryzen+VEGA was faster than Kabylake+1080, AMD would have taken ads on TV to make sure every gamer on the planet knows about it, especially since they're trying to push a full AMD platform.to consumers. The 7700k is the only chip that churns out the best numbers with either company's cards.

AMD themselves outright admit Intel is better at gaming and highlight Ryzen's price/performance and performance in other areas instead, nothing newsworthy here.

Pointless bait thread.

rbk123

Aug 22, 2006
Please, let's stop dancing around the problem. The 7700k is the only chip that churns out the best numbers with either company's cards.

Who in this thread is dancing around that? That's exactly the point everyone is making as to why Radeon is using it. What thread are you reading?

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
Please, let's stop dancing around the problem. The 7700k is the only chip that churns out the best numbers with either company's cards.

Who in this thread is dancing around that? That's exactly the point everyone is making as to why Radeon is using it. What thread are you reading?
Well, actually, the latest reviews I have seen with a Ryzen and 3600 memory win more than half the benches. But the point is arguable.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005

and that is exactly why people are ranting.
Its one thing when a review site uses its own set of hardware, but when the actual team which represents the company uses a competitors brand, its down right insulting.

again we have said SO WHAT if you get those extra little frame rates.

The real issue is the psychological message it represents.
It clearly represents : "Intel is Greater then AMD"

This is why a lot of us are angry and pissed at Team Radeon.
Because of Numbers which are pointless, cuz it wont last or help the company at all, they are straight up gimping future CPU sales.

If gamers today represents a large market, who will want to buy a ryzen over an intel?
Is that what AMD wants to promote?

And again in today's market, so what if team radeon cant get World Record numbers. It wont help the already shortage we will see when the gpu launchs thanks to bitcoin miners.

Infact they want to boost sales, they should just BITCOIN mine the gpu and show how many points the thing can make, and have the bitcoin miners fight over them, because it will be difficult for us gamers to procure one, and even more painful for us to keep it vs reselling to bitcoin miners.

Team Radeon... if i was Lisa Su i would seriously slap them all in the face and strip them of their sponsorship for a stupid move like this.

Because what this move did is clearly boost future 7700k sales 7740K sales, and future coffeelake sales, while crippling Ryzen sales in the Gaming platform.

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
Well... looks like at least one person took the bait.

The simplest explanation is this:
1) nVidia #s shine brightest with a i7-7700K test system (at 1080p)
2) To show Vega as "apples to apples" as possible, AMD chose to showcase #s using a comparable 7700K test system

That's it. The end. As close to scientific (only "one" variable, i.e. the GPU) as possible.

dwade

Jun 25, 2017

2) To show Vega as "apples to apples" as possible, AMD chose to showcase #s using a comparable 7700K test system

That's it. The end. As close to scientific (only "one" variable, i.e. the GPU) as possible.
They could've use Ryzen on both systems but something made Vega look bad in comparison to Nvidia with that setup.

Aug 11, 2008

I seriously doubt AMD is concerned about the scientific method. They are trying to sell products. Thus they want to get the best performance possible. At least by using a 7700k they show the gpu in the best light possible. Using a slower Ryzen cpu would cast a bad light on both the cpu and gpu. Personally I find it hilarious that after all the hype in these forums about how well threaded games are becoming, how great ryzen is in a certain multiplayer game, and the FUD spread about the 7700k because it is only a quad core, that AMD themselves chooses it for a gaming demo.

Last edited:
Reactions: pcp7 and CHADBOGA

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
They could've use Ryzen on both systems but something made Vega look bad in comparison to Nvidia with that setup.

You don't have any numbers, so that is jumping to conclusions.