"Radeon 9700 Pros suck"?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Nov 12, 2002
Originally posted by: BFG10K
Apart from a few driver glitches (of which there are less and less with each driver release I might add) the Radeon 9700 Pro is an oustanding piece of hardware.

Sombody give me $100 and the card, I still won't take it.
rolleye.gif

It's not just the driver... the whole card is f#@ked up.
There's nothing wrong with the card's design.

Talk about three different ATI R9700pro's from different stores not working with my Abit KR7A and KR7A-133R??? problem description: no boot screen, orange light indicator. All the rest of hardware and fans run fine
Power supply? BIOS? Chipset drivers? Flaky motherboards (let's face it Abit, isn't exactly known for their legendary stability)?, PEBCAK?

What the hell do you think I am? stupid?

Power supply?
- Antec PP403x 400watt Pot adjustable, Antec SmartPower 350watt, Enlight 300watt, CompUSA 300wtt, and some no name brand 250watt PSUs.

BIOS?
- Factory 6N bios
- 9N bios

Chipset drivers?
- HPT372 HighPoint UDMA100/133 Raid controller
- Via Apollo 4-in-1 v4.38

Flakey motherboards? Abit.. Legendary stability?
- Sure. Running at 13 x 193mhz FSB@ 1/4 PCI@ blistering 48.25mhz= 2513mhz@ Fast CPU Decode @ cas2.0 turbo.

Now sit down.. before I crush you down.
What the hell do you think you are?
Don't you question my overclocking/troubleshooting knowledge boy. I know you.
Know hell lot more than you know in this area because I know you.
And don't eye rollin' on me boy. I should be doing that to you.
rolleye.gif
rolleye.gif

rolleye.gif

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
What the hell do you think I am? stupid?
I have only your comments to go from. You draw your own conclusion as to what my deductions could be.

Flakey motherboards? Abit.. Legendary stability? - Sure. Running at 13 x 193mhz FSB@ 1/4 PCI@ blistering 48.25mhz= 2513mhz@ Fast CPU Decode @ cas2.0 turbo.
I don't give a crap about your overclocking exploits (I assume you tried running at stock speeds first? Perhaps you've permanently damaged the hardware from overclocking?).

All I know is that you've got a 50% failure rate on your selection of Abit motherboards while other people have a 0% failure rate on different branded motherboards using the same card (myself included, Gigabyte and Soltek work perfectly). So either it's the manufacturer or it's because you're running a non-Intel chipset and trying to use AGP x8.

Now sit down.. before I crush you down.
rolleye.gif

I know you.
Know hell lot more than you know in this area because I know you.
rolleye.gif
You're starting to ramble. Any form of credibility which you might have had will quickly fade away if you proceed down this path.

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
oh, just to remind.. Read this. Related discussion.
It looks like I know you as well - carrying on like that will either get you banned or you'll get verbally evicted from this forum. Either way, you won't last long.

Nov 12, 2002

I don't give a crap about your overclocking exploits (I assume you tried running at stock speeds first? Perhaps you've permanently damaged the hardware from overclocking?).

- YOU are the one mentioned about Abit's stability and thinking I have no clue what I'm doing with it. That's why I said it. Foo.

Stock speeds??.. wtf.. What were you thinking??? See what im saying? You think im stupid.. stupid enough to leave it running at 193mhz FSB with that card???? wtf.... Have you ever thought about me trying the CMOS reset???.. When you reset the CMOS, what happens then?? Don't mess with me.. about my knowledge and experience. Even a 5 yr old baby can do the CMOS reset.
rolleye.gif

All I know is that you've got a 50% failure rate on your selection of Abit motherboards while other people have a 0% failure rate on different branded motherboards using the same card (myself included, Gigabyte and Soltek work perfectly). So either it's the manufacturer or it's because you're running a non-Intel chipset and trying to use AGP x8.
How the phu.c-k do you even get to set to 8X when you can't even get the machine to boot into the BIOS? What is this s-h!.t? Who said I was trying to run it at 8X, are you f#@kin' nuts? Sorry, but Im not interested in 8X. All i wanted to do was to get this card up and running on this mobo, Foo.
rolleye.gif

TheWart

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 2000
Well, it seems that some people are a little crazy....this card in one word ROCKS

It has been as revolutionary for me as going from non-accelerated 640x480 to glide 800x600!

Games just look hideous now without Anti Aliasing and Anistopheric (sp?) filtering. No more jaggies and no more blurry textures

Games just come alive, and it is a blast. The only downside is you need a monster if a cpu....my xp2000 is pushed too the limits (esp in like UT), but the card can easily outstrip it.

Nov 12, 2002
BFG10K,
It is obvious that I know more than you. You only seem to know the basics.. but not further. You seem very limited with various hardware hands-on experience. I feel sorry for you college boy.

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
You think im stupid.. stupid enough to leave it running at 193mhz FSB with that card????
You'd be surprised just how many people ask for help on overclocked hardware - about the same amount that ask for help on warezed software. And these same people are often the ones who complain the most loudly when things don't work.

So you'll understand why I had to check first.

How the phu.c-k do you even get to set to 8X when you can't even get the machine to boot into the BIOS?
You shouldn't need to set AGP x8 manually, the motherboard should do this automatically when it detects an AGP x8 compliant card.

So instead of slinging insults in this thread what you could do instead is put in a card that works, force AGP x4 in the BIOS and save the settings, then stick the Radeon 9700 Pro in and see if it boots. If you're really cautious you could even try AGP x1 if your system goes that low. It's not an ideal solution but it might help to get you started.

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
It is obvious that I know more than you. You only seem to know the basics.. but not further. You seem very limited with various hardware hands-on experience. I feel sorry for you college boy.
Ah, I see you really have no idea what you're talking about.

The only thing here that's obvious is the content and attitude of your posts.

Nov 12, 2002

So instead of slinging insults in this thread what you could do instead is put in a card that works, force AGP x4 in the BIOS and save the settings, then stick the Radeon 9700 Pro in and see if it boots. If you're really cautious you could even try AGP x1 if your system goes that low. It's not an ideal solution but it might help to get you started.

It was set 4X AGP, dude.

Why?.. because that's the setting I always run at with the GF3 ti200. So the AGP was already set at 4X before I even tried to put the R9700pro.

And oh yes, I did AGP 1X too. Made no difference. No boot, black screen, orange light.

Nov 12, 2002
Ah, I see you really have no idea what you're talking about.

The only thing here that's obvious is the content and attitude of your posts.

True, I do have content and attitude.

SpeedTester

Mar 18, 2001
overclocksomemore, Why do you insist on insulting people. It's going to get you nowhere here.
As a matter of fact it going to get you banned.

I havent had one hiccup installing and running 9700's in many many different systems.
If you have problems feel free to come down to my computer store and I'll install one free
of charge for you.(You supply the card)

BFG, dont worry about this guy, he wont be around to much longer.

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
What else? eh?
May I ask if you've ever tried the cards on non-Abit motherboards?

And don't you think it's strange that the same card works on some of your motherboards and not on the others? Such a scenario provides very weak grounds to blame the video card and very strong grounds to single out the specific motherboards as the problem.

It might pay to check Abit's site for Radeon 9700 Pro compatibility FAQs and to see if they have updated BIOSes for your problematic motherboards.

Nov 12, 2002
BFG10K, have you heard of running @ 100mhz FSB on my system when i attempted to put the R9700pro and try to boot? Don't pick on my overclocking masterpiece. It's been running 193mhz FSB for several months, none stop. Sorry it didn't work out the way you were hoping it would get fried or tear/wear and puke on me. sorry it didnt work out that way bro.

Nov 12, 2002
What else? eh?
May I ask if you've ever tried the cards on non-Abit motherboards?
that, no. although I do have a Epox 8K3A in my place. But that's not mine, that's why I didn't mention that.

And don't you think it's strange that the same card works on some of your motherboards and not on the others? Such a scenario provides very weak grounds to blame the video card and very strong grounds to single out the specific motherboards as the problem.
If you've read all my posts including the Link(Related discussion), I said Abit KX7-333R worked fine. I even have a 3DMark score for it. heh heh....

It might pay to check Abit's site for Radeon 9700 Pro compatibility FAQs and to see if they have updated BIOSes for your problematic motherboards.
i can try. The card is gone so it's too late.. but i can still check.

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
If you've read all my posts including the Link(Related discussion), I said Abit KX7-333R worked fine.
I know it works fine, that's why I said:

And don't you think it's strange that the same card works on some of your motherboards and not on the others?

Nov 12, 2002
You wan sum? my 3dmark score on the R9700/KX7-333R? I have the link..

And I didn't tell ya this.. I bought that KX7-333R just to get the R9700 to work. Because I have seen many many many many many many many many users running KX7-333 board with the R9700pro in madonion compare database. I bought that damn board just to see if it would really work on the R9700. So I tried it, put em on. Fire up.. and guess what... Worked just fine.

After all this, from what i've been seeing, this tells me that the ATI R9700pro cards are picky and only wanting to run certain boards, not my boards fault. Because I told you. I even tried two different GeForce4 Ti4200s and worked perfectly fine on my KR7A board. you see what im saying?

Nov 12, 2002
I also have a score for the Ti4200 and KR7A on the 3DMark. The brands I've tried are both Gainward and Verto.

This is what im saying... even a GF4 cards work fantastic with my KR7A but why not R9700?? R9700 card is the only thing that doesn't want to run with my KR7A. This made me wonder it's the card.

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
You wan sum? my 3dmark score on the R9700/KX7-333R? I have the link.
I believe you dude. Like I said, I'm well aware that the card works on some of your motherboards.

R9700 card is the only thing that doesn't want to run with my KR7A. This made me wonder it's the card.
Cast your mind back to the GeForce DDR/AGP x4 days and you'll see the angle I'm coming from. This isn't the first time something like this has happened - a card being blamed when in reality it was the motherboards at fault.

Nov 12, 2002
Cast your mind back to the GeForce DDR/AGP x4 days and you'll see the angle I'm coming from. This isn't the first time something like this has happened - a card being blamed when in reality it was the motherboards at fault.
hmmmmmmmmm.... i see what you're saying.. hmmmmmmmmm...

cbrsurfr

Golden Member
Jul 15, 2000
Did you update the bios on your KR7A? There is a known issue with the 9700 and that board. I had the same problem with it not posting. I did get the card to work after a bios update. Only problem is I'm now experiencing the infamous "stutter" problem, especially in GTA3.

Atif

Platinum Member
Oct 10, 2001
There have been some incompatibilites with certain motherboards when running in 8x AGP mode. In general, the card's performance and features however, definitely don't suck.

Peace