"Radeon 9700 Pros suck"?

idNut

Diamond Member
Jun 9, 2002
My friend's friend says that they suck and I am very skeptical about that because I've just heard rave after rave about them. I don't think he meant the card sucked but primarily the drivers because he missed a clan match because he had to reload Windows due to some driver problems with the card. I'm getting one in my new computer (2.4 P4, 533FSB 8XAGP USB2.0, 512 MB DDR, 60 Gigs) and I'm actually, get a load of this, trying to be optimistic here and hoping this guy doesn't know what he's talking about.

Tates

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 25, 2000
Do 9700's suck? Yes, they will suck you in with wicked fast and amazing graphics, and spit you out wet and hang you to dry.

This ain't your mama's video card ;)

Nov 12, 2002
wtf... R9700pro does suck. Are you guys crazy?? I wouldn't take that card even if it was given to me for free. Even the person who wants to gimme that card and begging me to take it, I won't. I'll say "Get the hell off my legs!". but seriously... I will not take that card even somebody beggs me to take it.

Tates

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 25, 2000
wtf... R9700pro does suck. Are you guys crazy?? I wouldn't take that card even if it was given to me for free. Even the person who wants to gimme that card and begging me to take it, I won't. I'll say "Get the hell off my legs!". but seriously... I will not take that card even somebody beggs me to take it........Sombody give me $100 and the card, I still won't take it.

Doesn't sound smart at all.

I'm assuming you're a Nvidia fanboy.

At least you would have a quick $100 + $300 selling it.

You'ld be $400 richer and could still hate ATi. ;)

Nov 12, 2002
Originally posted by: Tates
wtf... R9700pro does suck. Are you guys crazy?? I wouldn't take that card even if it was given to me for free. Even the person who wants to gimme that card and begging me to take it, I won't. I'll say "Get the hell off my legs!". but seriously... I will not take that card even somebody beggs me to take it........Sombody give me $100 and the card, I still won't take it.

Doesn't sound smart at all.

I'm assuming you're a Nvidia fanboy.

At least you would have a quick $100 + $300 selling it.

You'ld be $400 richer and could still hate ATi. ;)

oh....

Rand

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Suffice to say there are many that consider it one of the most innovative and and impressive graphics card launches ever since the old Voodoo2 SLI was launched.

It most definitely doesnt 'suck'.

EdipisReks

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2000
did someone hit you over the head with an ATi card or something, Overclockomemore?? brain damage due to blunt trauma is the only way i could rationalize saying that the 9700pro sucks.

Kingofcomputer

Diamond Member
Apr 6, 2000
The logic here is
ATI's driver sucked in the past,
so ATI's cards suck,
so Radeon 9700 Pro suck.

I agree, but I'll still buy ATI's cards, since it's always cheaper than equalivant Nvidia based cards from time to time.

Glitchny

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2002
HMM i have one, drivers are great, no problems with the new drivers sicne the cat 2.3's faster than anything out their by a large margin... great 2d.. by far the best peice of equipment i have ever owned... nah i wouldnt say it sucks, he is just a small minded idiot basicly.

glitch

DarkMask

Jul 24, 2002
My friend has one, and i have to say it doesnt suck.... has anyone seen the graphics demos? Damn, that car made my pants all moist. I have a ti4200, and i would give that overclocksmore kid it for a radeon 9700. :)

SFang

Apr 4, 2001
Originally posted by: overclocksomemore
Sombody give me $100 and the card, I still won't take it.

Don't refuse him:Q. I will help you get rid of the card by sending it to me, you can still keep the $100. :D

mrman3k

Dec 15, 2001
Really only fanboys will say a product sucks or owns unless it really does suck bad. I don't feel that the R9700 sucks or owns, but rather I feel that it is a good product that is performing the way it should be. Likewise the same goes with the GFFX.

Rankor

Golden Member
Jul 10, 2000
hoping this guy doesn't know what he's talking about

You don't have to hope. This guy doesn't know what he's talking about :p

If I had funds allocated right now, I'd buy a 9700 Pro or maybe even a 9500 Pro ($177 at Mwave).

But, I'll hold on for ATI's next part and the eventual release of the G(2F)X before considering purchasing.

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002
Originally posted by: overclocksomemore
wtf... R9700pro does suck. Are you guys crazy?? I wouldn't take that card even if it was given to me for free. Even the person who wants to gimme that card and begging me to take it, I won't. I'll say "Get the hell off my legs!". but seriously... I will not take that card even somebody beggs me to take it.

Have you got any reasons for saying it sucks? Any basis at all for your wild, nonsensical ravings? I could say that the original Voodoo card sucked when it was released, but I've never used one, so I'd have no rational for saying that, and no evidence to back it up. Don't say a card sucks just because you are a moron and are jealous of the people who do have one.

idNut

Diamond Member
Jun 9, 2002
So how bad are the drivers? Carmack seemed to rave about them in the ATI Testimonials. (I'm sure ATI isn't his favorite company now) Are the drivers not taking the card to its limits or what? What makes them so bad, the compatibility? I remember when I had a driver problem with my Voodoo5 and it was hell, complete hell. I had to get all these third-party drivers and install different drivers for different games. When I ran Wicked3D drivers during Quake III, everything was super dark. That was when 3dfx went out just when I was getting comfortable, I hope that I'm not going to run into third-party software again since ATI doesn't know how to right good driver software. I just plan to play games on it, not overclock it or anything, just play all the games I've bought in the past year that I couldn't run on this computer.

Nov 12, 2002
It's not just the driver... the whole card is f#@ked up.

If it was just the driver issue, I would've loved it to buy it and keep it.. I have no problem with that.

The ATI designers and engineers are f#@ked up. All the positions have been filled with morons...

ATI, you can kiss my @ss. Somebody plz drop a mini A-bomb in their headquarter.