Radeon 5700 Reviews Thread

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Ranulf

Platinum Member
Jul 18, 2001
LOL..buying a GPU somehow qualifies people for "had it coming"?

I doubt normal ppl regret owning a RTX card for close to a year now. I know I don't.
Tech moves on, it always does.

If one worries about depreciation, maybe this hobby aint the right one for one's broke ass.

In the era of $350 "mid range" cards, a $300 depreciation hit in 9 months is a bit hard to just dust off. Even with GPU's having long been the PC part that loses value the fastest. I'm certainly glad I didn't buy into RTX to replace my 970. I'm not happy about 5700 at $350 either as we'll see the same price inflation with AIB cards we saw with the 2060 cards hitting $380-400. At least the custom 5700's will likely be cheaper than the new custom 2060 supers and the whole 8gb vs 6gb.

Definately worth waiting 1-2 months to see where prices/AIB cards sit.

Face2Face

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2001
I’m personally very excited to see the updated uArch (RDNA). Its look to address a lot of the occupancy issues that plagued GCN. We’re seeing a 2560 SP part keeping pace with the best version of GCN with 4096 cores. Once AIB models hit and potentially clock up to 2100 MHz, they should come pretty close to a RTX 2080…all for around $400. Yes, it’s missing VRS support and dedicated RT hardware, but for person who doesn’t care about that, seems like a killer deal.

With that said, I spent $350 on my Founders RTX 2060 couple of months ago and I honestly have no complaints. This is how technology works - it moves fast - I’m just glad to see RTG bringing the fire – Love the competition.

guachi

Nov 16, 2010
Forza Horizon 4 is crazy...

[graph deleted]

In benchmarks that include this game the Navi cards look much, much better. In the Tom's Hardware Review it alone accounted for 1/3 of the lead the 5700XT had over the 2060S.

I'm not saying it shouldn't be included, just that choice of games can have a big effect.

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
[graph deleted]

In benchmarks that include this game the Navi cards look much, much better. In the Tom's Hardware Review it alone accounted for 1/3 of the lead the 5700XT had over the 2060S.

I'm not saying it shouldn't be included, just that choice of games can have a big effect.

That's why I like reviews that benchmark upwards of 30 games even if some of them aren't at all popular. With that many you can get a good idea of the card's performance and remove the top and bottom 3 results in terms of performance delta to avoid significant outliers like this.

Reactions: psolord

guachi

Nov 16, 2010
I understand it takes a long time to benchmark a game and not all games have benchmarks but I appreciate lots of benchmarks as well.

I also much prefer benchmarks (maybe not initially, but eventually) using equipment we might actually buy. Will we EVER see a benchmark of a Ryzen 3600 with a 2060 Super or 5700XT?

Reactions: MangoX

Guru

May 5, 2017
Probably just a title that's heavily optimized for AMD hardware, which makes a certain amount of sense given it's an Xbox game. But for every game like that which runs really well on AMD hardware, there's one like Ace Combat 7 that runs awful:

ace-combat-7-2560-1440.png

There even the Radeon VII (not that it's a great card in general, but point still stands) runs worse than a 2060. That's just how it goes with some titles.
Its the unreal engine, its heavily optimized for Nvidia hardware, so any game that uses it heavily favors nvidia. They need to update and improve their engine to better suit modern needs and requirements, especially DX12 and Vulkan.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
I think AMD optimization is going to improve on UE... there's a few games coming out soon that are going to be using it; are partnered with AMD/Radeon.

Shivansps

Diamond Member
Sep 11, 2013
HWU unboxed showed very similar wins with 2X MSAA. After applying 4X MSAA, the 5700 XT is about 10% faster than the 2070S, as shown below. Being it’s a pure DX12 engine, I’m not surprised that Navi is doing well here.

View attachment 8150

Has someone considered that AA may not be working at all? I would think thats impossible not to spot it, but after that thing with the Ryzen CPU turbos im not sure anymore.

insertcarehere

Jan 17, 2013
Its the unreal engine, its heavily optimized for Nvidia hardware, so any game that uses it heavily favors nvidia. They need to update and improve their engine to better suit modern needs and requirements, especially DX12 and Vulkan.

Consumers don't buy and use game engines, developers do, and for them how dev-friendly the engine is at least 1000x more important than whatever consumer jargon the engine supports. Until something better comes along to supplant it (not unity), UE4 or whatever next unreal iteration will still be widely used. Epic Games doesn't need to update or improve the engine for modern features so much as AMD needs to improve their gpus performance on said engine, regardless of 'modern' needs and requirements.

AtenRa

Lifer
Feb 2, 2009
Epic Games doesn't need to update or improve the engine for modern features so much as AMD needs to improve their gpus performance on said engine, regardless of 'modern' needs and requirements.

Since all consoles from MS and SONY are AMD based (GCN & RDNA), it is EPIC that needs to improve their game engine to take 100% the performance given from the hardware and not the other way.

Reactions: kawi6rr

tamz_msc

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2017
Since all consoles from MS and SONY are AMD based (GCN & RDNA), it is EPIC that needs to improve their game engine to take 100% the performance given from the hardware and not the other way.
Then AMD should partner with Epic and optimize the engine for their architecture. It is natural that without any incentive to do so a company is going to primarily target the majority of the market, and that is NVIDIA.

insertcarehere

Jan 17, 2013

Even taking into aside how utterly disproven that argument has been over the last 6 years (consoles are AMD-based == super optimized PC games for AMD gpus). EPIC sells their game engine and associated middleware to developers, not consumers. The former group (esp. smaller studios, which is likely the case if licensing UE4), is going to prefer ease of development, flexibility, and documentation over all-out performance/features 999 out of 1000 times, therefore, EPIC's incentive is to push UE4 towards the former path, not cater performance to a hardware manufacturer unless there are explicit partnerships that change the equation.

AtenRa

Lifer
Feb 2, 2009
Then AMD should partner with Epic and optimize the engine for their architecture. It is natural that without any incentive to do so a company is going to primarily target the majority of the market, and that is NVIDIA.

1. AMD and EPIC already working together
2. If you combine AMD PC & Consoles they have the majority of the market vs NV

Global_Games_Market_2018.png

Reactions: DarthKyrie

tamz_msc

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2017
1. AMD and EPIC already working together
2. If you combine AMD PC & Consoles they have the majority of the market vs NV

Global_Games_Market_2018.png
1. If they are I don't see it being reflected in the real world as NVIDIA still does better in UE4 games.
2. Console market share doesn't mean a damn thing when it comes to PC optimization, this has been proven in this generation. For every game that does well on AMD due to being optimized for consoles, like Forza Horizon 4, I can find another that is equally well-optimized for consoles but fares poorly on AMD compared to NVIDIA. Ace Combat 7 is a prime example of this category.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
MSI has already announced some AIO cards for 5700 series... but I think ASRock & Sapphire are planning to release more "gaming" lines too.

Reactions: mopardude87

Guru

May 5, 2017
Consumers don't buy and use game engines, developers do, and for them how dev-friendly the engine is at least 1000x more important than whatever consumer jargon the engine supports. Until something better comes along to supplant it (not unity), UE4 or whatever next unreal iteration will still be widely used. Epic Games doesn't need to update or improve the engine for modern features so much as AMD needs to improve their gpus performance on said engine, regardless of 'modern' needs and requirements.
Even though epic's engine is widely used among small indie developers, its just a small fraction of games published, so its epic who need to improve their engine and make it more friendly to amd hardware.

And again epic are already behind the line with features and performance with their engine, its currently one of the slower and less feature rich engines.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

Avalon

Diamond Member
Jul 16, 2001
This x 1000! Our hobby, compared to things like cars or drones is super cheap! You spend a few hundred and are locked in (hardware wise) for a few years. Its incredible people agonize over $300 vs 350 when most will putting hundreds or even thousands of hours of their time into it. And like you said, people will go out for drinks or dinner and spend $100 easily, yet turn around and spend hours researching if RAM that is $20 more expensive is worth it.

I was thinking about the 5700, but I think you just convinced me to get the 5700 XT. You're absolutely right. An extra $50 won't kill me. My last bar/dinner tab was $60.