Radeon 5700 Reviews Thread

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
I feel like the only reason people would say that is because they'd rather not believe a company can be this careless. What's this, the fourth time? Fool me once, yada yada.

I guess someone over at AMD responded officially to why they choose this design, i believe it was on Reddit. They said it was cause of the people who have poor airflow. People of course responded in a uproar saying all kinds of things but a suggestion of why there isn't at least 2 cards one a blower and a triple fan option like Radeon 7 and i guess there was no response to it. Others went as far as to recommend they don't even bother with reference if they want their third parties selling gpus that much. So much disappoint for sure is all i kept on reading.

If i find the thread i will update this post with it. It was quite the read.

Reactions: Ranulf

DarthKyrie

Golden Member
Jul 11, 2016
I guess someone over at AMD responded officially to why they choose this design, i believe it was on Reddit. They said it was cause of the people who have poor airflow. People of course responded in a uproar saying all kinds of things but a suggestion of why there isn't at least 2 cards one a blower and a triple fan option like Radeon 7 and i guess there was no response to it. Others went as far as to recommend they don't even bother with reference if they want their third parties selling gpus that much. So much disappoint for sure is all i kept on reading.

If i find the thread i will update this post with it. It was quite the read.

So people are complaining that AMD isn't like nVidia as they would prefer not to step on their partners' toes when it comes to the reference design of their cards. All I can say is WOW! It's not like people are going to have to wait for forever for AIB models, they should be showing up about the second week in August (45 day AMD exclusive window).

Reactions: guachi

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
So people are complaining that AMD isn't like nVidia as they would prefer not to step on their partners' toes when it comes to the reference design of their cards. All I can say is WOW! It's not like people are going to have to wait for forever for AIB models, they should be showing up about the second week in August (45 day AMD exclusive window).

Yeah some people even went as far as saying they have choose Nvidia just cause the long wait for a Navi third party isn't even worth it. Me myself i won't lie when i say i am kind of disappointed its a middle of August deal given i could afford a 5700xt in 2 weeks or so but luckily the 2080 Super and 2070 Super which i may pick over Navi are affordable for me in September and who knows a after market Navi may be so good i can forget about the Nvidia options all together at that point.

I might even still pick up a reference 5700 for its affordability if 2080 Super disappoints. I am a headphone gamer and am kind of used to a little noise. I had a 7970 reference overclocked it wasn't THAT bad even with the 1.2ghz oc i did and i was using speakers. I can accept third party coolers will up the cost and will certainly consider that the reason why a $349 5700 is appealing.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

DarthKyrie

Golden Member
Jul 11, 2016
Yeah some people even went as far as saying they have choose Nvidia just cause the long wait for a Navi third party isn't even worth it. Me myself i won't lie when i say i am kind of disappointed its a middle of August deal given i could afford a 5700xt in 2 weeks or so but luckily the 2080 Super and 2070 Super which i may pick over Navi are affordable for me in September and who knows a after market Navi may be so good i can forget about the Nvidia options all together at that point.

I might even still pick up a reference 5700 for its affordability if 2080 Super disappoints. I am a headphone gamer and am kind of used to a little noise. I had a 7970 reference overclocked it wasn't THAT bad even with the 1.2ghz oc i did and i was using speakers. I can accept third party coolers will up the cost and will certainly consider that the reason why a $349 5700 is appealing.

You could always pick up a dead AIB 290/390 on Ebay and use the cooler on the 5700 for max performance if you absolutely can't wait for AIB cards.

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
You could always pick up a dead AIB 290/390 on Ebay and use the cooler on the 5700 for max performance if you absolutely can't wait for AIB cards.

The 5700xt is the one getting all the hate. It seems the 5700 itself is tolerable. Out of the 4 options one being 2080 super, 2070 super reference 5700 and AIB 5700XT currently the reference 5700 appeals most. It offers best bang for buck no need to wait another month for it and i save a bundle. The 2080 Super which comes out before i even purchase anything may be good enough to wait for. I like the idea perhaps of the $350 saved over a 2080 Super and putting that directly into the next gen upgrade too.

Took some time to think it over then saw a nice price on a Asus Strix 2070 on newegg that was hard to argue with and jumped on it. Had quite the pickle between cards given GTA V poor performance on AMD and BF performance at 4k. I was more then happy with the BF4 fps i was getting on the 1070ti but GTA V needed a boost and the 2070 looked like the pick. Overall a 25% boost in avg fps in both titles which isn't bad. I could up a setting perhaps in GTA V and increase my minimums from the low 50s to the desired 60s i much prefer and enjoy.

Maybe next year with all the rumors i am hearing about, perhaps when everything settles down i could maybe hop on a 2080 ti tier card with any luck in the $700 range. Assuming of course Ampere is out and if its even a next gen part. Or if the 5800 competes. I am sure i could be content with the 2070 prob right into 2021.

Last edited:
Reactions: DarthKyrie