Dtnightmare1

Sep 4, 2017
Hey all,

Just wondering if anyone has chucked an ID-Cooling AIO cooler on there reference 290 and what kind of temps you've gotten? I had the reference design and the temps would always be in the 90-96c range when gaming/benchmarking. I've recently bought a Dual AIO Hunter Duet Cooler from ID-Cooling and now I usually get anywhere from 55 - 65c but some games (Mafia 3) - (Enemy Front) it will go to 75 to 80c. And without limiting the FPS for Enemy Front, my GPU went to 94c. Not sure if this is normal or not? It also gets to a max of 69c in Unigine Heaven. And idles at around 31-35c.

CPU seems to be cooling fine as it sits at 20-25c at idle and doesn't usually go past 50c at full load.

I've also tried to OC the card by about 10mhz core and it's resulted in black screens and after restart and tells me that it was unstable and has reverted to default settings, which I think is odd as I've herd that the cards are quite overclockable.

Anyone had any similar issues?

I currently have the GPU and CPU pump plugged into the CPU_Fan header and the 2 radiator fans plugged into a CHA_Fan header and I've plugged the onboard GPU fan into the GPU fan header. Not sure if that's correct.

System specs:
Monitor
: Asus 27" VC279H 5ms IPS
Case: NZXT 410 Black
Case Cooling: 5 Fans + 2 for Radiator & Hunter Duet AIO Cooler - ID-Cooling
PSU: 750W EVGA SuperNova G2 80+ Gold
Mobo: H97-Pro Gamer
CPU: i5 4590 3.3ghz turbo 3.7ghz with AIO Cooler
GPU: AMD R9 290 4GB Ref with AIO Cooler
RAM: G.Skill RipkawsX C9 16GB DDR3 1600mhz
SSD: Geil Zenith S3 120gb
HDD: 4TB WD Blue
HDD: 1TB WD Blue x2
HDD: 1TB Seagate Barracuda Green

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
Never had any severe heat issues with my ref ASUS 290X but I did replace the cooler, because the OE one was very loud, with full cover water block

these cards do run hot but i'd check the heat sink and possibly reapply some good thermal on the GPU itself. the reference coolers are relatively low tech and easy to take apart.

fleshconsumed

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2002
Overclocking is a gamble, even by 10Mhz. As far as your temps, they seem fairly normal. I was getting around 60-65 tops with AIO on my 290 with 1450 rpm Gentle Typhoon fans. 80C full load in your case seems a bit high, but you're running both CPU and GPU on a single AIO system, so 80C is probably normal.