R.a.t. 7

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

JoshGuru7

Golden Member
Aug 18, 2001
My view on the customizability is that it leads to a product that is easy to recommend for everybody and as such gets great reviews. However, if you already have found a mouse that fits well for you (X8 with larger hands) then there is little reason to upgrade based on that the new mouse is going to be comfortable as well. If you've never been able to find a mouse you found comfortable then perhaps it matters more.

There are two reasons to upgrade from a current mouse that you like to the RAT7:

- Sniper thumb button. I love my on the fly sensitivity switches on the X8, but currently use them when I change weapons (or games) most of the time rather than simply then I zoom due to the placement of the buttons. Making this a single button that you simply depress with your thumb means you use it every time you zoom with anything for excellent results.

- Thumb wheel. Think about how you currently use your mouse wheel while gaming and you are probably pulling a finger off either your left click or right click. With a thumb wheel this is no longer an issue.

Whether those two things are worth $100 to you is a different matter entirely if you already have a DPI adjusting mouse that is comfortable...

Last edited:

kasasdf

Sep 3, 2010
I'd like to give the RAT 7 a chance, but there were way too many nay sayers with personal experience with the mouse at Hardforum.

There certainly are. I think it could be caused by using the wrong kind of mousepad. At least I'm certainly hoping that's the cause, as I already ordered one. I hope it arrives before the weekend (today) so I can do a proper review on it.

I think one of the other issues they had was the mouse 'rocking', meaning when the thumbrest was moved to the mouse was not flat on the surface anymore. Someone from MadCatz posted a fix to that which sounded plausible enough; hold the mouse down properly from the center when tightening the screw.

It's a bit silly I'm defending a mouse I haven't even tried :sneaky:

Returning this would be a pain in the ass as I ordered from Amazon.de and I live in Finland and don't speak any German. Except for a couple of words which are best left unmentioned.

Also, I would feel like a complete idiot. I got this since I was extremely unsatisfied with Roccat Kone. Only tried it on a single mousepad though. And after I ordered this I went back to MX518 and it was flawless. I don't really have a proper reason to replace it.

TheUnk

Golden Member
Jun 24, 2005
This mouse sucks. The only thing I like about it is it's looks.

It's NOT comfortable because of one major flaw. There is no area between the thumb rest and palm rest, you just get edges unless you extend the palm rest a lot, and in my case makes the mouse too long.

The mouse also buldges up on the right/wrong side, as if it was designed for leftys, which it clearly isn't. It just feels very wrong.

You are forced to use a thumb rest. Seriously? A mouse so customizable that such a thing that is either loved or hated can't be removed? I use thumb friction intentionally when gaming, and even raise my mouse ever so slightly with my thumb to make fine adjustments. Sorry I guess I just don't ever have thumb fatigue to the point where I need to rest it on something. If I want it off the surface I simply raise my thumb a little higher...

The Precision Aim button requires too much pressure to press. This button should require a very light touch since chances are you will be aiming at someone while you want to engage it!

The pinky rest, not that I wanted to use it but tried it anyways, has corners on it?!!? Who wants to rest their pinky on something so uncomfortable... Plus it has no foot so you can easily lift the mouse accidentally if too much pressure gets applied to the right side of the mouse.

The thumb scroll is practically embedded within the mouse and requires a big movement to access, I can't see how this could even be effectively used like this.

It's too heavy, even with all weights and the tool removed. WTG on making such a customizable mouse that is either heavy, or heavier.

The back/forward thumb buttons are HUGE and way too far apart. The back button is also way too far back, even with the thumb rest as far forward as it will allow I still have to move my thumb way too much to hit this button. Your thumb is also always in contact with them, does not feel good /shrug

Last edited:

TheUnk

Golden Member
Jun 24, 2005
Oh yeah and the software for this thing is years behind what the Logitech software is capable of.

terentenet

Nov 8, 2005
I had the Mamba, spilled some Cola on it, buttons became very sticky and pressing the left click was a pain so I had to switch. I have bought the G700 from Logitech, it's a good piece of hardware, the tracking is good, ergonomics are good but the one thing I didn't like was the plastic quality. It felt cheap.
I now bought the RAT7 and I love it. I have tweaked the mouse so it fits my hand, I have configured all the buttons to my liking and this mouse rocks!
Very nice to hold, very nice to play with, the grip is perfect once properly configured, the tracking is superb, precision button is welcome. The Back and Forward buttons are easy to reach and even if I only played with the mouse for a couple of hours, I hit the correct Back or Forward button 90% of the time. This will only get better with time.
I am using the Razer Megasoma mousepad, I have none of the issues I have heard of with this mouse; no liftoff issues, no negative acceleration, the mouse feels sturdy and all feet are in good contact with the mousepad. Build quality is excellent, everything is in place and works as it should, finish is very good, no sharp corners, plastic quality is very good and I love the metal base. This mouse can act as weapon if burglars break into the house. Not that it's heavy (it's not that heavy) but that metal base can do some damage.
The Megasoma is a medium surface and the RAT7 seems to love it; I would like to try this mouse on a soft (cloth) surface and also a hard pad. I have the Exactmat from Razer as hard surface, Razer Destructor as medium-hard and a Func cloth pad. I will give all mousepads a go with this mouse and will report back with a conclusion.
I suspect that as with all Phillips sensor mice, this one will enjoy medium to hard mousing surface and will dislike cloth ones.
The software is pretty straightforward, not too many functions available, but the basics are there and in my opinion it helps, it's not clogged and it's easy to understand and set the mouse to your liking.
@TheUnk: what would you like the software to do and it doesn't do it? It seems to me it covers everything. Of course it can't cook dinner, it's mouse software...

TheUnk

Golden Member
Jun 24, 2005
@TheUnk: what would you like the software to do and it doesn't do it? It seems to me it covers everything. Of course it can't cook dinner, it's mouse software...

Did you use the SetPoint software when you had the G700?

Profiles for automatic application switching, up to 5 DPI settings per profile, set X and Y axis separately (was critical for me in some games). Ability to turn off all acceleration.

Best of all being the profile switching of course.

G9 is by far the best mouse I have used to date and I've tried a lot. While the RAT has a lot of hardware customization (which was still not enough to make it work for me), it really lacks in software customization.

I still can't get over the fact that the thumbrest isn't optional on a mouse so aimed at being a one size fits all mouse..

terentenet

Nov 8, 2005
I feel no acceleration with the RAT7, I believe the software has the acceleration turned off by default and no option to enable it.
It does lack profile auto switching, perhaps it will be included at some point. It shouldn't be hard to implement and I am sure MadCatz will listen to us, the users and implement it.
I guess the thumbrest is what makes this mouse a love or hate mouse. I love it because I hate to drag my fingers on the mousepad. I even mounted the pinkyrest; for me it's perfect. And it looks like it wants to kill.

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
I just got this for my birthday (about 3 months late, but I did get it). I wuold never pay this much for a mouse, but I have to say that this thing is pretty darn spiffy. The ability to change the sensitivity on the fly (has a quick switch under the scroll whwll) to increase or decrease sensitivity to one of 4 preset settings - which you adjust yourself - and the sniper switch are awesome. The ability to adjust the palm rest is really cool too. I really like this mouse.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002

Profiles for automatic application switching, up to 5 DPI settings per profile, set X and Y axis separately (was critical for me in some games). Ability to turn off all acceleration.

G9 is by far the best mouse I have used to date and I've tried a lot. While the RAT has a lot of hardware customization (which was still not enough to make it work for me), it really lacks in software customization.

I still can't get over the fact that the thumbrest isn't optional on a mouse so aimed at being a one size fits all mouse..

thats too bad. once i got used to the g9 profile switching goodness.. can't really imagine buying amouse with anything less.

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007

The RAT has this. Although it is only 4 profiles that you switch with a button under the scroll wheel. Each has seperate x and y DPI adjustments. I only really use one of them, but I tested it out and it works on the fly.

If you have the mouse and can't figure out how to get some of the features to work, either ask on here or PM me, and I might know. In this last case, you just set it up in the provided software.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
they are also autoswitch, application detection. most important of all is the custom color led you can set to make sure its in the right mode as well.

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
they are also autoswitch, application detection. most important of all is the custom color led you can set to make sure its in the right mode as well.

I'm not sure if they have the autoswitch, but the led is there. There are 4 LEDs on the side that are lit up depending on which profile you are using. It sounds like the two mice have most of the same features, which is good if you bought the RAT and like the features of the other mouse.

I didn't buy the RAT 7, it was a gift, but if I had another high quality mouse I don't think I would switch. While it has everything I could want with it, it sounds like there are other mice that have most of the same features.

Bmxant

Oct 7, 2010
I'm not sure which mousepad to order with the R.A.T 7.

1. Goliathus
2. Coolermaster CS-X
3. QcK heavy
4. ????

I don't want to destroy the feet since they don't offer replacements. What do you guys recommend? Thanks!

Edit: Currently using an old G9, but I have pretty large hands, so it's uncomfortable. Also using a Sphex, but the adhesive didn't last very long, so it's being held down by a stapler, lol.

zagood

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2005
I'm a diehard 5L guy myself. I just wish they came in a smaller size. You can probably find it cheaper than this.

Bmxant

Oct 7, 2010
I'm a diehard 5L guy myself. I just wish they came in a smaller size. You can probably find it cheaper than this.

Haha, that's great. I have a 5L as well, but some areas are smooth, and others are worn out.

Edit: The slicker it is the more I like it.

zagood

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2005
Might just be dirt. Hit it with some 409 and a paper towel, then rub it so hard you start feeling the friction heat up the paper towel.

Bmxant

Oct 7, 2010
Might just be dirt. Hit it with some 409 and a paper towel, then rub it so hard you start feeling the friction heat up the paper towel.

I'll give that a shot, thanks. I've tried water before, but that didn't seem to do much.

Edit: I'm still stumped on which mouse to get, too much negativity going around about the R.A.T. The Roccat Kone + looks really good too, but I'm in the US.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
I'm not sure if they have the autoswitch, but the led is there. There are 4 LEDs on the side that are lit up depending on which profile you are using. It sounds like the two mice have most of the same features, which is good if you bought the RAT and like the features of the other mouse.

I didn't buy the RAT 7, it was a gift, but if I had another high quality mouse I don't think I would switch. While it has everything I could want with it, it sounds like there are other mice that have most of the same features.

by custom color i mean it can change to any color you choose, it has rgb lighting inside or osomething.
maybe the rat has this as well..i dunno.

ixelion

Feb 5, 2005
love the mouse, pinky rest is a god send. The shape is perfect for claw grip. I wish the fine aim button was a toggle but I don't think I would benefit from it anyway.

Despite the archaic drivers, the are functionally much better than the Imperator or Lachesis drivers.

YBS1

Golden Member
May 14, 2000
I purchased one of these a couple of days ago. The mouse itself is pretty awesome, I'm coming from a Logitech g9x which I liked pretty well except for button 4/5 placement. I purchased it on a whim fully expecting to return it, but the Logitech is in the box and the rodent remains on the desk. Software aside I like it better than the g9x in every way. Both Logitech's and Razer's software is better. If MadCatz would allow you to map functions/macros to any and all keys rather than just the additional ones they would have a real winner.