quick question about GPA on resume

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Originally posted by: magomago
Originally posted by: sdifox
When I hire new grad, I am not interested in their GPA. I want to know how they work and communicate. If the intro letter is poor, it gets tossed. If you came across as honest and willing to learn, I'll give you a chance to convince me you are the right person.

What are you going to do in a situation where you have many students who

a) have a 1-2 short paragraph cover letter who demonstrated they at least went online and found some info about your company- basically a step above the rest who talk about how much they want to work for said company, even though they don't know anything about them.

b) have nicely done resumes (doesn't have to be a certain style - can be many different styles that are nicely done)

c) have some kind of experience (not necessarily the same field)

would you choose to interview students who won't list their GPA vs those who list a GPA of over 3.4,5,6? From that, I would think that while you will always check out the experience, you will tend to pick out students who have a GPA listed. It shows they either studied more, or they pick the stuff up faster (barring someone with a horrible GPA who has incredible experience...then I can see why you would take them in)

Or will you tell me that you will interview...EVERYONE? Or am I being way to hypothetical and no one has A, B, and C? ;)

Usually, I am staring at 5-800 applications... Either your letter captures me or it does not. I am not even going to read your resume if your cover letter look unpolished or scripted. I detest the ones where they paid money to have it done. Yes, I can tell.

I don't have a fixed rule on who gets interview, since I am not the only one picking. 3 people pick and we then settle on the list. Most of the applicants are duds. But a few cuts through and those get a shot.

At most we interview 20 per position. And guess what, most of them don't quote GPA.

duragezic

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
In preparation for our job fair next month, our Career Center has a few seminars this week where you learn how to make your resume better, and get critiques from the staff, so I'm going to work on mine a little and bring it in for advice. I'll see what they have to say about it; I think they are a more authoritative source than some guy on here.

I didn't realize how many people here think it is so ridiculous for a college student or recent graduate to have it listed or say that it doesn't matter. I would say at least 90% of the resumes of my peers I've seen have had their GPA on it. Yes, some students get ridiculous, like being obsessed with and showing 3 GPAs, showing high school crap, etc. I've seen one resume where the 2nd or 3rd section of the resume listed four different areas of study, and under each was 3-5 classes taken from that area, with the grade earned for each class...!!

I think that it seems to be so common to have students list their GPA on their resume, that when it is not listed, it is assumed low. So unless the career center folks recommend to get rid of it, I'm keeping it on, and I'll gauge employers reaction on whether they notice it or not at the job fair next month.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Originally posted by: duragezic
In preparation for our job fair next month, our Career Center has a few seminars this week where you learn how to make your resume better, and get critiques from the staff, so I'm going to work on mine a little and bring it in for advice. I'll see what they have to say about it; I think they are a more authoritative source than some guy on here.

I didn't realize how many people here think it is so ridiculous for a college student or recent graduate to have it listed or say that it doesn't matter. I would say at least 90% of the resumes of my peers I've seen have had their GPA on it. Yes, some students get ridiculous, like being obsessed with and showing 3 GPAs, showing high school crap, etc. I've seen one resume where the 2nd or 3rd section of the resume listed four different areas of study, and under each was 3-5 classes taken from that area, with the grade earned for each class...!!

I think that it seems to be so common to have students list their GPA on their resume, that when it is not listed, it is assumed low. So unless the career center folks recommend to get rid of it, I'm keeping it on, and I'll gauge employers reaction on whether they notice it or not at the job fair next month.

My advice is that you work really hard on your cover letter, customise to each job. Look up what the company does and how you can help.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
When I hire new grad, I am not interested in their GPA. I want to know how they work and communicate. If the intro letter is poor, it gets tossed. If you came across as honest and willing to learn, I'll give you a chance to convince me you are the right person.

a) have a 1-2 short paragraph cover letter who demonstrated they at least went online and found some info about your company- basically a step above the rest who talk about how much they want to work for said company, even though they don't know anything about them.

b) have nicely done resumes (doesn't have to be a certain style - can be many different styles that are nicely done)

would you choose to interview students who won't list their GPA vs those who list a GPA of over 3.4,5,6? From that, I would think that while you will always check out the experience, you will tend to pick out students who have a GPA listed. It shows they either studied more, or they pick the stuff up faster (barring someone with a horrible GPA who has incredible experience...then I can see why you would take them in)

Or will you tell me that you will interview...EVERYONE? Or am I being way to hypothetical and no one has A, B, and C? ;)

Usually, I am staring at 5-800 applications... Either your letter captures me or it does not. I am not even going to read your resume if your cover letter look unpolished or scripted. I detest the ones where they paid money to have it done. Yes, I can tell.

I don't have a fixed rule on who gets interview, since I am not the only one picking. 3 people pick and we then settle on the list. Most of the applicants are duds. But a few cuts through and those get a shot.

At most we interview 20 per position. And guess what, most of them don't quote GPA.

How can you be so picky about a position where you hire 20 at a time for?

Many hiring managers have a huge power trip they go through. Whether or not a pro did the resume, it behooves anyone to consider it if the skill set is there.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Originally posted by: alkemyst

How can you be so picky about a position where you hire 20 at a time for?

Many hiring managers have a huge power trip they go through. Whether or not a pro did the resume, it behooves anyone to consider it if the skill set is there.

You misread. We interview 20. We hire 1. And even if we are hiring 20, the process will still be the same, except more interviewees. It's not a powertrip thing. My time is valuable, so I will only interview those whom all three of us deem possible candidates.

It is really not that hard to understand. I am against pros doing resume because that tells me the applicant was not confident enough to do it himself/herself.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
It is really not that hard to understand. I am against pros doing resume because that tells me the applicant was not confident enough to do it himself/herself.

I guess if you have a need to hire someone that knows how to do resumes.

Still does you know good to not look at a qualified candidate just because they paid to have a resume done. Then again you may be hiring low level workers or something I guess.

Gibson486

Lifer
Aug 9, 2000
Originally posted by: fritolays
I think I'll just list them all so that I'm not being deceptive in any way
Major GPA: 3.25, Core GPA: 3.4, Cumulative: 3.1

just like that

Why don't you just do this?

GPA: 3.1

I mean, what is the difference between the three? Obvioulsy Major is just courses associated with your major. What is Core? Is Cumulative is the whole thing? if it is then how can it be lower? Are your electives really that hard?

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: Gibson486
Originally posted by: fritolays
I think I'll just list them all so that I'm not being deceptive in any way
Major GPA: 3.25, Core GPA: 3.4, Cumulative: 3.1

just like that

Why don't you just do this?

GPA: 3.1

I mean, what is the difference between the three? Obvioulsy Major is just courses associated with your major. What is Core? Is Cumulative is the whole thing? if it is then how can it be lower? Are your electives really that hard?

If your major is something that you are good at, you'd expect their cumulative GPA to be lower... my cumulative GPA was 0.2 lower than my major GPA. I majored in something I was really good at, and classes like American Literature brought my GPA down.

vital

Platinum Member
Sep 28, 2000
I also have a question about GPA on resume,

When you have 1-2 years of experience, should you still need to put your GPA on your resume? what if it's below 3.0?

jandrews

Golden Member
Aug 3, 2007
I agree it is very deceitful and very easy to misunderstand, when I think of core I think overall.

SacrosanctFiend

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
Originally posted by: vital

When you have 1-2 years of experience, should you still need to put your GPA on your resume? what if it's below 3.0?

With 2 years of experience, I wouldn't put it down at all.

oddyager

Diamond Member
May 21, 2005
Originally posted by: vital

I wouldn't and definitely no.