Question: Why did latest Batman movie bring in 1/2 latest Spider-Man?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BudAshes

Lifer
Jul 20, 2003
If I had to guess I would say it's because half as many people went to see it.

spacejamz

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
I am never going to see another batman movie again because of Ben afflack...maybe I am not the only one?? LOL

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
Spidey is DC? Ptah, ptah. But the fact that I just assumed it was MCU I think says something. Franchises can be fragile things. They sort of shot their wad with the previous series of movies. And I was so grateful that Far from Home was a sort of spoof. Suspending disbelief as to the ahem, "SFX." But the fact that they at least seem to be following the MCU playbook might be a good sign for the future. Marvel seems to have really mastered that approach. I never followed the comics - despite less than an inordinate amount of begging and pleading. But it seems that at least Marvel is trying to come up with new story lines. And I have to admit I rather like the spin-offs.

I'm not sure I'm ready to accept Spidey as a perpetual-appearing teenager, but they definitely have the right actor for the part. Also, while I can't say that he's basically a young Ryan Reynolds in a cape, he definitely gives me that vibe. I sort of like RR but also sort of hate him. It's hard to explain.

Anyway, I think they released NWH to the wild so I will be "acquiring" it at some point. I will try to actively watch it instead my normal half-conscious viewing method. So pissed at Altice. My cablebox/DVR is officially f***ing useless at this point. I was grateful to just be able to get CNN during the day and once again they have bent me over. I know the NJ BPU is probably going to tear them a few new ones but I don't think I'm going to be able to wait. So I'm warming up the Roku.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Spidey is DC? Ptah, ptah. But the fact that I just assumed it was MCU I think says something.
No, Spidey is part of the MCU. Well, for now, at least (complicated ownership of the movie rights). Spider-man has always been a Marvel character.

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
No, Spidey is part of the MCU. Well, for now, at least (complicated ownership of the movie rights). Spider-man has always been a Marvel character.
I'm amazed he didn't know that. I donned a mask to see the webslingers latest. It was so worth it. I'm not sure the latest Batman would measure up.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Because DC sucks.

...and I suspect audiences have grown tired of the...5th? version of growly misanthropic billionaire punching drug addicts in the face and calling it "justice."

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Completely agreed..... accepting Tom Holland good as he is for the role was a reach. (IMO Tobey McGuire was the perfect Peter Parker)

Have to admit after he was able to push Sony to keep talking to Disney re the Marvel deal to keep Spiderman in the MCU (my favorite Comic as a kid) I'll always have a soft spot for that guy!

agreed, Toby McGuire is the best Peter Parker; but even though these sucked, Andrew Garfield seemed like the best Spider-man. At least, he was closest to the late 80s-mid 90s Spider-man that I know. well, but also, there was Emma Stone as Gewn Stacy....also better than the Mary Janes, I'd say.

Holland is pretty good overall, but it's definitely not the Spider-man I'm used to; which is post-college, actual adult Spider-man.

Spidey 2 (McGuire) is still my favorite overall Marvel movie. And while I like Alfred Molina and Doc Oc, no one beats Willem Defoe from Spidey 1. So fucking good.

Reactions: Captante

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003

:D

The Roosevelt Island tram scene (linked above) in the first movie is still my favorite Spiderman-scene ever though.

Except maybe for this one:

Last edited:

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
maybe because this latest spidey is a top 5 mcu movie.

and batman?

View attachment 58886

I'm still struggling to understand that first bit. :confused:

I finally saw No Way Home in its entirety and while it didn't actually suck like I was afraid it might, I wasn't thrilled.

And I have no desire whatsoever to see yet another Batman reboot.

GunsMadeAmericaFree

Golden Member
Jan 23, 2007
My favorite Batman in the last 6 or 7 years was actually that fan made short on Youtube where he fights Darth Vader, and rescues Superman. Some parts are a bit silly, but it's still good fun that really speaks to my 12 year old, yard sale comic loving self.

NuclearNed

Raconteur
May 18, 2001
Because times are hard, and right now people need escapist fun instead of gritty reality.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I think being part of the MCU, having had fairly solid prior entries (e.g. Homecoming and Far From Home), and it including villains from prior movies gave Spider-Man: No Way Home a huge boost. I recall having to wait around 2-3 hours just to deal with an overloaded website so I could buy No Way Home tickets. I haven't seen The Batman yet, but I do want to. Although, I can't say that I was super excited to see that it's nearly three hours long. I'd rather go see the Jujutsu Kaisen movie since it's at least a bit under two hours.

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
I finally saw No Way Home in its entirety and while it didn't actually suck like I was afraid it might, I wasn't thrilled.

man i finally just watched "no way home" and LOVED it

maybe it's because i recently watched all the spider-man movies in a row

but it was awesome imho. probably second to tobey's spider-man 2

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
man i finally just watched "no way home" and LOVED it

maybe it's because i recently watched all the spider-man movies in a row

but it was awesome imho. probably second to tobey's spider-man 2

I just felt like it was too many disjointed "acts" .... lots of fantastic individual action scenes but not enough of a cohesive story for me.

Again I didn't hate it by any means..... it blew the living daylights out of Batman vs Superman or that last Wonder Woman debacle for example.

Fortunately I didn't pay to see it.... paying theater-admission would have forced me to be more harsh. I seriously doubt this or the new Batman movie would have been anywhere near as successful pre-pandemic.

Last edited:

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
It is looking like the latest Batman movie is going to end up bringing in less than half what the latest Spider-Man movie did worldwide.
I actually thought it was going to be a lot closer.

Anyone have thoughts on why? I mean, I thought they were both about equally enjoyable.
because It was STUPID of Warner Brothers to release a Batman reboot.

i was confused till i read the wiki.
i was like, how does a Batman reboot affect Justice League?
Answer: it doesnt.

this Batman is in another universe different from Justice League.
it's basically 'Batman: Year Two' if you follow the comics.

WtfBBQ were they thinking of releasing a Batman reboot in the middle of the Justice League/Apokalypse arc?!

That's like Marvel releasing an Iron Man reboot in the middle of the Infinity Gauntlet arc.

Confuses the hell out of viewers.

And that's why Warner Brothers sucks and Marvel rules.
(at least till the head of Marvel movies decides to retire after Phase 4 is completed next year or Disney fires him.)

Last edited:

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
WtfBBQ were they thinking of releasing a Batman reboot in the middle of the Justice League/Apokalypse arc?!
Henry Caville's Superman contract is done and they won't re-up.
Ben Affleck's Batman contract is done and they won't re-up.
Ray Fisher is blackballed from Warner and they won't re-cast Cyborg.
Joss Whedon's Justice League was a huge flop and he's not welcome back.
Zac Snyder's "original" Justice League was an expensive flop.

They (WB) have already said that the DCEU/Justice League project is dead and will not be returning.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Henry Caville's Superman contract is done and they won't re-up.
Ben Affleck's Batman contract is done and they won't re-up.
Ray Fisher is blackballed from Warner and they won't re-cast Cyborg.
Joss Whedon's Justice League was a huge flop and he's not welcome back.
Zac Snyder's "original" Justice League was an expensive flop.

They (WB) have already said that the DCEU/Justice League project is dead and will not be returning.
what did Ray Fisher do to screw himself?

so we wont see the current Justice League/Apokalyse arc to conclusion?! :(

WB just washed their hands of ALL the associated projects relating to Justice League and starting over? (so Another 4 year buildup arc starting with this Batman???)