Question about how homophobic you are:

SXMP

Oct 22, 2000
Ok, story of what happened yesterday. I just finished tell my sister this story, and she reacted like a typical southsider chicago girl:

Yesterday, since I was in town from college, and going back soon, my friend and former boss, invited me downtown to his loft. I've been friends with this guy for 3 years, and he's always treated me like a son. We hung out at his place for a little while, and then went across the street (from where he lives) to the East Bank Club (he lives in downtown Chicago). We had a nice dinner there and caught up on old times, etc. Afterwords we went in the hot tub there and sauna to relax and talk. Now being from the southside of Chicago, [a normaly very restrictive place, no culture, nor arts, just bars] I've never been in a hot tub where the other people were nude. Nor a sauna. I'm very open minded, so it didn't bother me in the least bit. Now look at the previous sentence, and notice that doesn't read that I'm gay or that I would ever even give that a second thought, I am a straight male.

Anyways, what it comes down to, is that my sister apparently (as well as many people) associate nudity instantly with sex. The first thing that she wondered if this guy (my former boss) was gay. To me that was just outrageous! So my question is posed towards those who have frequented nice health clubs across the US: is it, or isn't it common to walk around a locker room in the buff, or with just a towel, and then use the sauna and hot tub the same?

I already know the answer to that question, but I just want to have a little evidence. The arguement spilled out from my sister to my mother. And my mother, being the very conservative person she is really had a hard time with that fact.

Thanks guys, and please don't get this locked.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Why does the Southpark epsiode "Two Guys in a Hottub" suddenly pop into my mind?

SXMP

Oct 22, 2000
Originally posted by: MangoTBG
You posted this?

Yeah. I'm confused what you mean.

Originally posted by: vi_edit
Why does the Southpark epsiode "Two Guys in a Hottub" suddenly pop into my mind?

Never saw it, but I can imagine. Is there any other significance though to what you said, minus the fact that there are "guys" and a "hottub" in my story?

jhu

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
so according to your sister, the entire population of japan is gay?

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Imagine all the pubes and ass hairs floating around if everybody in the Hot Tub was naked!

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Originally posted by: Red Dawn
Imagine all the pubes and ass hairs floating around if everybody in the Hot Tub was naked!

Assuming they had pubes to start with!

GasX

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
if you were walking around his apartment nude, then you are gay whether you admit it or not. Taking a sauna at a health club is simply living large

SXMP

Oct 22, 2000
Originally posted by: Mwilding
if you were walking around his apartment nude, then you are gay whether you admit it or not. Taking a sauna at a health club is simply living large

No, definatley was not. Where did I ever even imply that?

Yes to the sauna, living large. From what I've read, the East Bank Club is where the stars like Oprah Winnfrey etc go that live downtown Chicago.

guapo337

Platinum Member
Apr 7, 2003
I slept with another guy last night. In the same bed. Totally heterosexual.

I would have no problem with that.

SXMP

Oct 22, 2000

Ok bud, first of all, for that to be true, think of the opposite. When you go in a hot tub with swim trunks, do you find mass amounts of hair in your trunks afterwords? Didn't think so.

Second, you're required to take a shower before you go in.

Third, it's the freakin East Bank Club. Its luxury to the extreme. I gurantee you they clean that thing.

rgwalt

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2000
I'm not familar with clubs that have hot tubs or saunas. In health clubs (gyms), being nude or having just a towel on while in the locker room, shower, sauna, or hot tub is not unusual. I guess I would associate clubs (not gyms) with saunas/hot tubs with the bath houses in San Fransisco, which were meeting places for homosexuals. In your situation, I would expect to wear a suit (speedo even) while in the sauna or hot tub, however nudity would be optional. I wouldn't automatically assume anything about the sexuality of two or more men in a hot tub, whether clothed or not. However, outside of a locker room, it would make me wonder, even just a little bit.

Does this make me a homophobe? Am I a homophobe? That is another topic of discussion.

R

EDIT: The lack of exposure to clubs (not gyms) where there are saunas/hot tubs is probably due to growing up in Kansas and living, currently, in Indiana. I would probably have another opinion if I had lived in an area where recreational hot tubbing at a club was simply a sign of having lots of disposable $$$.

tm37

Lifer
Jan 24, 2001
Originally posted by: guapo337

but were you nude :Q

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: SXMP

Ok bud, first of all, for that to be true, think of the opposite. When you go in a hot tub with swim trunks, do you find mass amounts of hair in your trunks afterwords? Didn't think so.

Second, you're required to take a shower before you go in.

Third, it's the freakin East Bank Club. Its luxury to the extreme. I gurantee you they clean that thing.
Who said anything about mass amounts?
It's not about Homophobia with me, it's more about how hygienically clean would it be!

SXMP

Oct 22, 2000
Originally posted by: rgwalt
I'm not familar with clubs that have hot tubs or saunas. In health clubs (gyms), being nude or having just a towel on while in the locker room, shower, sauna, or hot tub is not unusual. I guess I would associate clubs (not gyms) with saunas/hot tubs with the bath houses in San Fransisco, which were meeting places for homosexuals. In your situation, I would expect to wear a suit (speedo even) while in the sauna or hot tub, however nudity would be optional. I wouldn't automatically assume anything about the sexuality of two or more men in a hot tub, whether clothed or not. However, outside of a locker room, it would make me wonder, even just a little bit. Does this make me a homophobe? Am I a homophobe? That is another topic of discussion. R

rgwalt:
The East Bank Club is at its heart a gym. It has 2 floors dedicated to "gym-like" stuff, exercise equipment, free weights, swimming pool, etc. What makes it a club is that it also has 2 restaurants, a massage place, and a deck on the roof for sunning. They also have soccer, basketball, and tennis courts. As well as golf. Its like I guess a mega-gym so to speak.

SXMP

Oct 22, 2000
Originally posted by: Red Dawn Imagine all the pubes and ass hairs floating around if everybody in the Hot Tub was naked!
Ok bud, first of all, for that to be true, think of the opposite. When you go in a hot tub with swim trunks, do you find mass amounts of hair in your trunks afterwords? Didn't think so. Second, you're required to take a shower before you go in. Third, it's the freakin East Bank Club. Its luxury to the extreme. I gurantee you they clean that thing.
Who said anything about mass amounts? It's not about Homophobia with me, it's more about how hygienically clean would it be!

Hygenically: how much do you really think swimwear conceals when you're in the water. Last time I checked, they don't filter out bacteria etc. To me a hot tub is only as clean as the people that use it and how often its cleaned. Hygenically speaking I would much rather be in a hot tub nude at the East Bank Club than at the local pool in my swimwear.

rgwalt

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2000
Originally posted by: rgwalt
I'm not familar with clubs that have hot tubs or saunas. In health clubs (gyms), being nude or having just a towel on while in the locker room, shower, sauna, or hot tub is not unusual. I guess I would associate clubs (not gyms) with saunas/hot tubs with the bath houses in San Fransisco, which were meeting places for homosexuals. In your situation, I would expect to wear a suit (speedo even) while in the sauna or hot tub, however nudity would be optional. I wouldn't automatically assume anything about the sexuality of two or more men in a hot tub, whether clothed or not. However, outside of a locker room, it would make me wonder, even just a little bit. Does this make me a homophobe? Am I a homophobe? That is another topic of discussion. R

<STRONG>rgwalt:
</STRONG>The East Bank Club is at its heart a gym. It has 2 floors dedicated to "gym-like" stuff, exercise equipment, free weights, swimming pool, etc. What makes it a club is that it also has 2 restaurants, a massage place, and a deck on the roof for sunning. They also have soccer, basketball, and tennis courts. As well as golf. Its like I guess a mega-gym so to speak.

Ah, in this case I would have no problem hot tubbing with another nude male, assuming it was in the men's locker room. Outside the men's locker room, in view of anyone, I would be a bit shy due to my small... feet :D.

R

guapo337

Platinum Member
Apr 7, 2003
Originally posted by: tm37
Originally posted by: guapo337

but were you nude :Q

boxers? And my Express for Men spandex undershirt. :p

phatj

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2003
I don't think people go in hot tubs nude... I've been in many and never seen anyone go in there nude (especially public hot tubs, what's wrong with u?). Unless of course you are alone with your girlfriend and want to make hot passionate hot tub intercourse.

What does homophobia have to do with your post? "Homophobia" and not approving of homosexuality are two totally different things. If someone is homophobic, they are afraid of gay people and gay acts. It annoys me that people who don't approve of or embrace homosexuality are labelled "homophobic".

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: Red Dawn Imagine all the pubes and ass hairs floating around if everybody in the Hot Tub was naked!
Ok bud, first of all, for that to be true, think of the opposite. When you go in a hot tub with swim trunks, do you find mass amounts of hair in your trunks afterwords? Didn't think so. Second, you're required to take a shower before you go in. Third, it's the freakin East Bank Club. Its luxury to the extreme. I gurantee you they clean that thing.
Who said anything about mass amounts? It's not about Homophobia with me, it's more about how hygienically clean would it be!

Hygenically: how much do you really think swimwear conceals when you're in the water. Last time I checked, they don't filter out bacteria etc. To me a hot tub is only as clean as the people that use it and how often its cleaned. Hygenically speaking <EM>I would much rather be in a hot tub nude at the East Bank Club than at the local pool in my swimwear.</EM>
A Local Pool? You mean a Public Pool were little snotgobblers swim and pee in it? I totally agree with you!

caitlion

Golden Member
Sep 25, 2003
i know all the girls walk around naked at my gym... well like in the locker room, sauna, jacuzzi, and stuff. i dont though. too weird.

and i think gay guys shop at express for men .... the ones i know do anyway :p

tm37

Lifer
Jan 24, 2001
Originally posted by: caitlion
i know all the girls walk around naked at my gym... well like in the locker room, sauna, jacuzzi, and stuff. i dont though. too weird.

and i think gay guys shop at express for men .... the ones i know do anyway :p

I want to go to your gym ;)

SWScorch

Diamond Member
May 13, 2001
I walk around the locker rooms at school naked after taking a shower, so stuff like that doesn't bother me. I enjoy walking up to someone I know and just having a conversation with them, while I'm completely naked, just to see their reactions.