Quake Wars to land in-game ads

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

TecHNooB

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2005
The Doom engine will bring this game down. There's no oomph in the weaponry and everyone's too stiff and plastic-like.

hooflung

Golden Member
Dec 31, 2004
I have been waiting for this game for a long time. I loved the Doom 3 engine in Quake 4 but I never really cared for the Quake 3 type multiplayer and Quake 4 just rehashed it. Infact, the only Quake 3 engine game I liked in multi was Jedi Knight 2 and had Jedi Academy been given more funding and patches... it would have been great too.

So I hope Quake Wars doesn't turn out to be a rehash of the original Enemy Territory. I hated that game. I thought this would be more like Battlefield 1942 ( 2 sucked I have to say but only cause it was a poor implementation of the 1942 engine on steroids and obscene lack of balance ).

If ads in the game keep the public servers open so that when you buy the game you can log in to a server then by all means put it in. As long as they make the game fun and balanced and not some rehash of a bad game.

n7

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2004
Originally posted by: TecHNooB
The Doom engine will bring this game down. There's no oomph in the weaponry and everyone's too stiff and plastic-like.

I absolutely hate the Doom 3 engine.

Basically, it's an abomination that needs to die, so it's sad to see another game using it.

It runs like crap on every system i've had...regardless of fps, it always feels like it's chugging, not to mention the terribly slow movement every game based off it has.

The console commands layout is a hilarious joke in all Doom 3 engine crap...
Makes simple things like changing the goddamn resolution an unholy nightmare, nevermind the fact it randomly changes settings on its own half the time.

/i'll shut up now, or i could go on forever, but seriously, i absolutely hate the Doom 3 engine...every single game based off it is ruined.

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
It runs like crap on every system i've had...regardless of fps, it always feels like it's chugging

Finally, someone else here who can see this problem too. There is a way to fix it, but it makes the game speed dependent on the framerate and things essentially go into slow-mo when the framerate drops. I would take that any day over the frameskipping you get otherwise though.

n7

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2004
Originally posted by: CP5670
It runs like crap on every system i've had...regardless of fps, it always feels like it's chugging

Finally, someone else here who can see this problem too. There is a way to fix it, but it makes the game speed dependent on the framerate and things essentially go into slow-mo when the framerate drops. I would take that any day over the frameskipping you get otherwise though.

What method are you referring to?

I have an 8800 GTX, so i can keep high fps...so if you have a suggestion, please let me know, as i might actually play Q4 then, instead of becoming annoyed by just playing one map...

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Originally posted by: n7

I have an 8800 GTX, so i can keep high fps...so if you have a suggestion, please let me know, as i might actually play Q4 then, instead of becoming annoyed by just playing one map...

D3 engine should run fine on 6600GT/equivalents or better. that's a very low standard video card for AT

Molondo

Platinum Member
Sep 6, 2005
Originally posted by: Fenixgoon

D3 engine should run fine on 6600GT/equivalents or better. that's a very low standard video card for AT

I tried doom 3 on highest settings with ultra high quality on a 8800gts 640, and it was studdering bad. I did the same with quak4 and it was fine. silly programmers.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Originally posted by: Molondo

I tried doom 3 on highest settings with ultra high quality on a 8800gts 640, and it was studdering bad. I did the same with quak4 and it was fine. silly programmers.

agreed, that is silly,but Q4 had a lot more optimization to it. i hope/imagine ETQW is likewise :)

Molondo

Platinum Member
Sep 6, 2005

agreed, that is silly,but Q4 had a lot more optimization to it. i hope/imagine ETQW is likewise :)

it better be. What is the deal with the multi-texture thingy? Is that new to the Quake series?

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003

it better be. What is the deal with the multi-texture thingy? Is that new to the Quake series?

mega-texturing is a texture method developed by carmack specifically for ETQW that allows the D3 engine to "brute force" render the textures to the horizon (whatever that means). so they make 1 uber large texture file that describes the entire level (or the terrain, at least i guess) and apply it across the entire area. it also allows for texture description (a vehicle on grass makes X sound while on sand makes Y sound, handling properties change, etc.)

sounds cool. anyone who's actually played the beta (unlike me :D) care to chime in about the terrain graphics (or graphics in general)?

GundamSonicZeroX

Platinum Member
Oct 6, 2005
Originally posted by: pontifex
Originally posted by: GundamSonicZeroX
Originally posted by: TehMac
Originally posted by: Running
why should it matter? if it doesn't affect game play and keeps us from not having a monthly fee i'm all for it
This game sounds exactly like Battlefield 2 and will most likely play the same sort of way, and that game didn't have ads. This is a crap step to take, and I think we need to abstain from buying games with this lazy way of making money.

its actually worse than BF2. same style of game but the gameplay is worse

You deserve to be burned at the stake. There is no way a Quake game will be worse than BF2.

ah, fanboys. the reason sh!tty games keep getting made.
if you didn't like BF2 or its variants, you will not like this. and i stand by my comments of it being worse than BF2.

I may love the Quake games, but I hate BF2 more. So, I'm more of a hater than a fanboy.

GundamSonicZeroX

Platinum Member
Oct 6, 2005
Originally posted by: the Chase
As long as Splash Damage doesn't put spyware in the game like Dice did with BF2142, I'm fine.

It's got spyware too. Not buying this game because of it. Like above poster stated. This is just the start. If we accept this they will escalate the level of advertising until it's hardly a game anymore.

But what about this:

According to Postlethwaite, these ads will not be intrusive, nor will the ad system collect personal information or data of gamers.

and this:

"You won't have to interact with them; they'll just be part of the normal environment. In fact, there are some places it's quite odd not to have an advertisement--the sides of container trucks, for example. Great care is being taken to ensure that all our ads are appropriate for the game world and we have absolute approval rights in this area. If it's not appropriate or it's distracting, it won't go in."

the Chase

Golden Member
Sep 22, 2005
Originally posted by: the Chase
As long as Splash Damage doesn't put spyware in the game like Dice did with BF2142, I'm fine.

It's got spyware too. Not buying this game because of it. Like above poster stated. This is just the start. If we accept this they will escalate the level of advertising until it's hardly a game anymore.

But what about this:

According to Postlethwaite, these ads will not be intrusive, nor will the ad system collect personal information or data of gamers.

and this:

"You won't have to interact with them; they'll just be part of the normal environment. In fact, there are some places it's quite odd not to have an advertisement--the sides of container trucks, for example. Great care is being taken to ensure that all our ads are appropriate for the game world and we have absolute approval rights in this area. If it's not appropriate or it's distracting, it won't go in."

They are going to monitor how long and how many times you look at a particular ad. I think of that as spyware. And this is what they admit to collecting.

As stated before- they will start with so called non intrusive ads but over time you will wonder why you are ordering Avon lipstick and nail polish.

imported_Imp

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2005
As long as they don't do it like Rainbow 6: Vegas, I'll be happy. Read: No stupid AXE 'Effect' advertisements on every garbage can within a 10 mile radius... Otherwise, whatever, if they don't shove it down my throat and force me to watch it (TV), I'm fine.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: TehMac
Originally posted by: Running
why should it matter? if it doesn't affect game play and keeps us from not having a monthly fee i'm all for it
This game sounds exactly like Battlefield 2 and will most likely play the same sort of way, and that game didn't have ads. This is a crap step to take, and I think we need to abstain from buying games with this lazy way of making money.

its actually worse than BF2. same style of game but the gameplay is worse

You deserve to be burned at the stake. There is no way a Quake game will be worse than BF2.

ah, fanboys. the reason sh!tty games keep getting made.
if you didn't like BF2 or its variants, you will not like this. and i stand by my comments of it being worse than BF2.

I may love the Quake games, but I hate BF2 more. So, I'm more of a hater than a fanboy.

the 2nd sentence had nothing to do with the 1st one. eh...nvm.

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004

I'm guessing you're talking about the frameskip effect in D3 engine games, which annoys me to no end too. Make sure vsync is turned on and add the following lines somewhere in your doomconfig.cfg file: (or the equivalent one for whatever game it is)

seta com_preciseTic "0"
seta com_fixedTic "1"

The game should now become visibly smoother (you can especially see the difference by moving around in the opening area of D3 while looking down at the grating on the floor), but it will go to half speed whenever the framerate falls below 60. It also goes to double speed at framerates above 60, but you shouldn't have to deal with that on a 60hz LCD.