quake v??

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Quake is such a weird series, half story based corridor shooter, half arena shooter.

I hope we return to the strogg campaign and also something that ties the "plot" of the original game and Quake 3 in with the primary story.

Reactions: Shmee and cytg111

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
They should leave the single player campaign to Doom. Quake was also best as a multi-player shooter. Even back in the Quake World days.

But for all intents and purposes, Quake Champions *IS* Quake 5.

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
Quake is such a weird series, half story based corridor shooter, half arena shooter.

I hope we return to the strogg campaign and also something that ties the "plot" of the original game and Quake 3 in with the primary story.

Fond memories of destroying the "Big Gun" planetary defenses in Q2. My dad and I played together, no mouse, so one of us moved, the other looked up and down and pulled the trigger. It was super great bonding actually. It really made the investment in that Voodoo 2 look worthwhile.

We played several games this way. Deus Ex was a lot of fun, too. By then we had moved to one player running the mouse the other the keyboard.

The final boss battle of HL ended in multiple defeats, a dead MS optical mouse and my Dad declaring "I won't play with you again." Sigh. An end of an era because teenager me raged at that final stupid battle. I finished HL sometime after HL2 came out by myself and my dad didn't really play video games with me again for a decade.

Now we are back to rocking Borderlands, etc. We each have our own avatar though, obviously. :p

I would definitely buy a story based Quake :D I would expect a solid amount of cheese but superb movement and gun play. Aliens, not demons invading, of course!

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
I'd like to see a revival of a capture the flag game for Quake (or Doom). I had a lot more fun with that than either the single player or multiplayer death matches. Capture the flag with the grappling hook mod was the best.

Reactions: cytg111

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
I'd like to see a revival of a capture the flag game for Quake (or Doom). I had a lot more fun with that than either the single player or multiplayer death matches. Capture the flag with the grappling hook mod was the best.

Man, I miss expert CTF from Quake World. By far and away the best CTF mode I have played in any game.

Artorias

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Doesn't Bethesda/Zenimax now own the IP through ID? I cant imagine a Doom like revival being any good, its a much different style of game meant for hard core mouse/keyboard players.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003

quake 1 is corridor shooter.
quake 2 is corridor shooter.
quake 3 is arena shooter.
quake 4 is corridor shooter.

THATS 25 - 75 !!!!!

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
The problem with Quake 3 is there was no bot protection that actually worked! Aimbots were rampant!

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
The problem with Quake 3 is there was no bot protection that actually worked! Aimbots were rampant!

Not when it first came out. The bots came quite a bit later. When Quake 3 first launched the anti cheat worked pretty decently. You gotta remember its been 21 years since it came out. Which makes me feel so old. Especially since I played Quake World for many years before Quake 3 ever came out. I didn't play Quake 2 as it was not considered a competitive shooter. The skill cap for Quake World was quite a bit higher, especially on the expert servers.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Not when it first came out. The bots came quite a bit later. When Quake 3 first launched the anti cheat worked pretty decently. You gotta remember its been 21 years since it came out. Which makes me feel so old. Especially since I played Quake World for many years before Quake 3 ever came out. I didn't play Quake 2 as it was not considered a competitive shooter. The skill cap for Quake World was quite a bit higher, especially on the expert servers.
Just to point something out -- no game has bots when it first comes out...lol

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
Just to point something out -- no game has bots when it first comes out...lol

Well, I meant for the first several years that it was out. I think I played it regularly until about 2001 to 2002.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006

THATS 25 - 75 !!!!!

Quake Champions - Arena Shooter

Guess we're at 40 - 60!!!

Need one more Quake Arena game and I'm technically correct!!!

Edit:

How quickly we forget:

Enemy Territory: Quake Wars - Arena Shooter* (More of a class based MP shooter, but I'm not being picky here its MP only).

We've landed at 50/50!!! Bust out the Vuvuzelas!!!! :D

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Stuka87
Oct 9, 1999

lots of us still playing q2. LMCTF(the first q2 ctf mode) is alive and very active, weekly games, and half way thru a league (http://lmctf.com/beatdown/index.html) right now.

also regular q2 CTF games going on too. we have a very active discord as well.

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
I hope soon. Hopefully it is filled with Strogg on a campaign to continue Quake 4.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
After Q4 I feel like the Quake series is primed to be ID's "co-op" shooter. You spend a fair amount of Q4 with a handful of AI squadmates and I remember thinking (back when I had friends to mp with) "why can't I play through the campaign with my friends instead of AI".

Take something like Doom's combat, throw in 4 player co-op, watch insanity unfold.

Just remember to make a game that still works as a single player experience.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
lies... we all know Valve does not know how to count past 2.
ffs.... left4dead3 ??
Valve be like YEA this is a successful franchise, we could make a TON of money on this, does a 180 and walks away. Wtaf???

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011

THATS 25 - 75 !!!!!
not really.

Q1 SP is a corridor shooter.
Q1 MP is a corridor shooter.
Q2 SP is a corridor shooter.
Q2 MP is an arena shooter.
Q3 SP is an arena shooter (wtf?).
Q3 MP is an arena shooter.
Q4 SP is a corridor shooter.
Q4 MP is an arena shooter.
QC is an arena shooter.

i left out a few, like enemy territory, but essentially all the id games are in the same universe, so Quake / Wolfenstein / Doom should all be bunched up together.
Anyway, ever since Quake 1 after release, the shift went towards multiplayer; the thing is, not really a lot of people had internet in 1995 (and those who did generally had a 56k). But Q2 was so successful because everyone from Q1 who could got onboard with the multiplayer improvements, and people were foaming at the mouth for a MP shooter.

Keep in mind that Doom and Doom 2 also had MP and they both are arena shooters in MP. Doom 2 is an arena shooter in SP, as well. Or, at least, on some maps.

PlanetJosh

Golden Member
May 6, 2013
Just the title reminds me of all those hours online in Q3. The action, the graphics, the skinny players, the fat players too.