Quake Champions Beta - non disclosure

JimKiler

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2002
If I was a beta tester for Quake Champions i would be breaking the non disclosure agreement by telling you guys. But if I were a beta tester and not yet agreed to such non disclosure yet would I have to delete this post after agreeing? This is all hypothetical.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
I'll just say this. Going against or trying to circumvent any NDA is a really bad idea.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Just spent the last couple hours watching videos.

I am so underwhelmed its difficult to find the words.

Reactions: slugg

frowertr

Golden Member
Apr 17, 2010
Is it like the older Q3 Arena? Because if so Ill be passing on it. Im so tired of multiplayer only games.

local

Golden Member
Jun 28, 2011
Some NDAs state that acknowledging you are a part of it at all is a violation.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
there's nothing to spoil, everything is already on the web, as published by bethesda. different champions have different set of activations ("special moves"), each has a fixed set of weapons, and they also have nerfed strafejumping. rail is still 80, LG is still 6.
QC might have its own crowd (albeit i suspect nowhere near as popular as Overwatch), but the hardcore crowd will keep playing QL.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
You could probably state that you were invited to the beta test (received an e-mail, etc.), but anything beyond that would be a breach of the NDA.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
there's nothing to spoil, everything is already on the web, as published by bethesda. different champions have different set of activations ("special moves"), each has a fixed set of weapons, and they also have nerfed strafejumping. rail is still 80, LG is still 6.
QC might have its own crowd (albeit i suspect nowhere near as popular as Overwatch), but the hardcore crowd will keep playing QL.

So it's quake trying to jump on the overwatch bandwagon, rather than being quake? :|

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
yes.

and since i don't want to be the guy who only replies YES or NO, Overwatch copied some stuff from Quake and UT, but they had the smarts to draw players in with the art design and keep them interested with stuff like rankings, matchmaking, and in general "social features", something which id soft doesn't understand.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
yes.

and since i don't want to be the guy who only replies YES or NO, Overwatch copied some stuff from Quake and UT, but they had the smarts to draw players in with the art design and keep them interested with stuff like rankings, matchmaking, and in general "social features", something which id soft doesn't understand.
Agreed. I'm not saying that different devs shouldn't try to branch out (Hell, Overwatch came from branching out for Blizz and it's been hugely successful for them), but if you've got a winning formula, don't try and tether to someone else's horse.

Of course having said that, some might argue that ID hasn't had a winning formula with quake since Q3:A or so (personally I preferred Q2), so I guess it's a hail mary either way.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
i dont have a good answer. this has been speculated upon, on ESReality, for years. the best guess is that quake is being kept alive by its core community, and you cannot change anything from Q3/Ql or you will be burned at the stake. So the community that is keeping quake alive, is also the anchor that is forcing it to remain static.

JimKiler

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2002
Google prohibits you to acknowledge that you work for Google.

Are you referring to suppliers/partners or employees? After that Sapphire company went bankrupt it seemed like Apple had quite the NDA for suppliers.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
Google uses an enormous number of "contractors" worldwide. They present themselves as Google employees to the customers they face, but outside of work they are not allowed to discuss who they work for, where they work, or the nature of their work.
Also, the NDAs are in perpetuity. < FOR LIFE

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
Is there any reason behind the NDA for Google employees? I can only imagine it would be on-par with retail employees who sell lottery tickets being prohibited from playing the lottery.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
well, i dont know. funny enough, the NDA does not cover the contents of the NDA, so i can freely discuss those. anyway, i'm not keen on finding myself on the wrong side of a google lawsuit so i'm just gonna drop it and go back to talking about Quake Champions.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
I played the Beta a few times. I can safely disclose the fact that I absolutely suck. That much I'm sure of. Nothing else I can really even "disclose" that isn't already known based on the gameplay videos on youtube. Seriously. There's nothing to disclose. Its Quake. Its just like all the other Quakes. Twitch shooter. End of story. Its kind of fun but I think there's a reason the gaming world has moved on.
I think this game will basically exist for the quake pro's who've been playing for decades and they will have a new Quake game that they can compete against themselves in and congratulate each other for being awesome quake players. As a newcomer playing the BETA, there were a few players in there who just always dominate the crap out of the whole match. This kind of game doesn't leave much room or reward for anyone but the best player in the match IMO. There's nothing to do but twitch out and shoot people with bot-like speed. If you can't do that as good as the best players, then well, it may not be very rewarding since this is a one dimensional game. Its nothing but twitch speed, so I don't see it being very successful IMO.

Last edited:
Reactions: DigDog

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
There's nothing to disclose. Its Quake. Its just like all the other Quakes. Twitch shooter. End of story. Its kind of fun but I think there's a reason the gaming world has moved on.

sadly i agree with 'boog, to the letter. there *is* a reason the world has moved on. there is no fun to be had competing with people who have 20 years (literally, not figuratively) of experience, and there is no way for anyone to develop as a player in an environment where you can't even tell how you got beaten... when you get beaten by a ELO 2300 player, it feels exactly like when you get beaten by a ELO 1200 .. and you can't appreciate the skill he had in beating you because it all goes over your head.
i play BLR and i am honestly happy when some newb manages to kill me, because that means the formula works for both me and him.

n0x1ous

Platinum Member
Sep 9, 2010
bethesda just sent me a couple beta codes to give out to friends. PM me if interested....I have 2 left

EDIT - 1 LEFT.

Last edited:

frowertr

Golden Member
Apr 17, 2010
sadly i agree with 'boog, to the letter. there *is* a reason the world has moved on. there is no fun to be had competing with people who have 20 years (literally, not figuratively) of experience, and there is no way for anyone to develop as a player in an environment where you can't even tell how you got beaten... when you get beaten by a ELO 2300 player, it feels exactly like when you get beaten by a ELO 1200 .. and you can't appreciate the skill he had in beating you because it all goes over your head.
i play BLR and i am honestly happy when some newb manages to kill me, because that means the formula works for both me and him.

The problem is I have been playing for 20 years (Q2 CTF clan member back in the day) and I've actually gotten worse I think. Them kids whoop my butt nowadays.

If this is just Q3A with better graphics I'll pass. DM just doesn't do anything for me anymore. I'd much rather have a really well polished single player experience than deal with loud mouth gamers dropping F-Bombs every 10 seconds after a kill.