Quake 4 visuals seem "unpolished"

borisvodofsky

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2010
bunch of corridors, boxes in said corridors, cyber monsters with physically cumbersome appendages :\:\

vj8usa

Dec 19, 2005
You realize the game came out in 2005, right? It looked great back then.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
Ermmm... well, it's Quake, and Quake without corridors and cyber monsters (see Quake's actual story line) is like DOOM without zombified marines and shotguns, it's also id Tech 4, an engine with roots dating as far back as 2003, and Quake IV is a five years-old game, you can't really expect something along the lines of "complexity" with 2010-standard sausage on top of it at this point. If you played it when it came out you would have perceived it differently.

borisvodofsky

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2010
Ermmm... well, it's Quake, and Quake without corridors and cyber monsters (see Quake's actual story line) is like DOOM without zombified marines and shotguns, it's also id Tech 4, an engine with roots dating as far back as 2003, and Quake IV is a five years-old game, you can't really expect something along the lines of "complexity" with 2010-standard sausage on top of it at this point. If you played it when it came out you would have perceived it differently.

The boring rehash level design is my issue. and the lighting is just bland. i guess production value is what i'm getting at. doom 3 looked great even though most of the game was pitch black :D. Quake feels rushed...:eek:

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
The boring rehash level design is my issue. and the lighting is just bland. i guess production value is what i'm getting at. doom 3 looked great even though most of the game was pitch black :D. Quake feels rushed...:eek:

Yet DOOM 3 is even more of a rehash of old school gaming than Quake IV ever managed to be.

paperfist

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
www.the-teh.com

What! Did your version come with a halogen flashlight? Cause mine was too dark to notice what the graphics looked like :D

I never got to play Quake IV, I can't believe it's 5 years old already and no talk of 5?

Dec 30, 2004
I enjoyed Prey a ton, that game was SERIOUSLY immersing. Great voice acting, attention to detail. Download the demo and see what you think, it sucked me right in.

Quake 4 felt like Doom 3.

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
Hasn't the point of Quake's visuals always been to look like it's been dipped in liquefied shit? Not saying that the game is bad, but the visuals were always "brown and drab."