Quake 2 remake

nonameo

Diamond Member
Mar 13, 2006
IMO, this is probably the best quake ever released. I'd like to see it remade. How about you?

ScrewFace

Banned
Sep 21, 2002
I'm with you! I still play it once in a while. IMHO, it's more fun than newer FPSs, know what I'm sayin'?

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
The partial remake of Tombraider went over well, so I am all for a Q2 remake, if done right.

fleshconsumed

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2002
One, the best quake ever was original quake, not that pathetic effort (comparatively speaking) called Q2, and two, look what happened to Doom remake, it sucked donkey's balls...

rstrohkirch

Platinum Member
May 31, 2005
There are already some decent modified q2 engines out there like q2 evolved....more then anything there's just a need for some talented texture artist, modelers, and level designers to redo the in-game content to acceptable levels.

nonameo

Diamond Member
Mar 13, 2006
Originally posted by: fleshconsumed
One, the best quake ever was original quake, not that pathetic effort (comparatively speaking) called Q2, and two, look what happened to Doom remake, it sucked donkey's balls...

Q1 was OK, but it just seemed so hokey with it's goblins and chainsaw wielding zombies :p

Plumcuda1

Jan 1, 2005
do it do it !! 1v1 DM on edge .... ahhh man the good ole days! tag em with a rail gun ... finish them off with the chain gun. Weeeeeeeeee

ConstipatedVigilante

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2006
Q2 was pretty awesome indeed. Quake 4 isn't bad by any means, though - they definitely got some good monsters in there. Quake 2 did have a certain "feel" to it, though.

imported_Nacelle

May 8, 2004
Originally posted by: fleshconsumed

Quake 1 Ruled!

andylawcc

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
ya man, Q1 was the best. that's how I learned how to install TCP/IP protocol on my school's library network and played 8 player shoot out. then we start recording it and make movies out of it. ... so fun.

Q2 was just so-so. didn't have the magic of Q1.

ShawnD1

Lifer
May 24, 2003
Wasn't Quake 2 already remade? Quake 4 is pretty much the exact same game. Much like Doom 3, Quake 4 had severely gimped controls where bunny hopping didn't work and you had to hold a button to run.

edit: oh yeah and Quake 2 was better than Quake 1. Why did they make Q1 so you had to hold a button to be able to use the mouse to look around? I had mouse2 bound to "+mlook" and I had to hold that button the entire game. That's total bullsh|t.

AyashiKaibutsu

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2004
Originally posted by: ShawnD1
edit: oh yeah and Quake 2 was better than Quake 1. Why did they make Q1 so you had to hold a button to be able to use the mouse to look around? I had mouse2 bound to "+mlook" and I had to hold that button the entire game. That's total bullsh|t.

For games like that, I always jammed a quarter into my keyboard so the button would stick...

cKGunslinger

Lifer
Nov 29, 1999
Quake 2 Evolved was an update to the graphics, menus, hud, weapons, sounds, etc of Q2. It's pretty cool - if you're a big Q2 fan.

Looks like they've moved on, however.

Text

Sentrosi2121

Platinum Member
Aug 8, 2004
Remake Tribes2 before Quake2. I wet myself thinking what Raindance would look like with todays engines...and yes, pun intended.

Skacer

Banned
Jun 4, 2007
Originally posted by: nonameo
Q1 was OK, but it just seemed so hokey with it's goblins and chainsaw wielding zombies :p

It had a Gothic look, which was extremely unique for the time. Much more unique than Quake2 - Quake4's generic technological layout and enemies. I don't know why Id ever ditched the unique Gothic look of Quake1.

Give me stained glass windows, marble floors, zombies and a rocket launcher.

Oct 9, 1999
quake 2 community made it stand out from the rest. the mods, the maps and players.

first online fps i played. had aol and wouldn't have traded it for anything, even with my 400-500 ping.

HPB ftw!:D

Icepick

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2004
I still have a bad taste in my mouth from Doom3. For that reason I voted "no - don't ruin it." After the hours and hours I played Doom2 I expected a lot more out of the remake. For some reason I couldn't really get into Quake 4 either. It just felt too much like running through a maze and didn't hold my attention after HL2 and Far Cry. The Q4 graphics seemed kind of lame in comparison too.

HannibalX

Diamond Member
May 12, 2000
Originally posted by: ConstipatedVigilante
Q2 was pretty awesome indeed. Quake 4 isn't bad by any means, though - they definitely got some good monsters in there. Quake 2 did have a certain "feel" to it, though.

Quake II felt "heavy" to me. The movements were slow, the maps were bulky and boxy. I loved the game but not as much as Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight which I was playing at the same time. Jedi Knight was much faster paced and felt lighter, more open and was more fun to me.

Smilin

Diamond Member
Mar 4, 2002
Originally posted by: ShawnD1
Wasn't Quake 2 already remade? Quake 4 is pretty much the exact same game. Much like Doom 3, Quake 4 had severely gimped controls where bunny hopping didn't work and you had to hold a button to run.

ROFLMWAHAHA...at you holding down that button for the duration of the game.

Dude just bring down the console and type "+mlook". Tada! Done.

If you bind a "+mlook" command to a mouse button it will simply execute the "-mlook" command when you release the button.