Pyloric Stenosis

Status
Not open for further replies.

oiprocs

Diamond Member
Jun 20, 2001
I was diagnosed with this in the beginning of February after it was revealed in an endoscopy exam.

I had the same problem in April 2008 after complaining of abdominal pain. The doctor at that time was able to dilate the pylorus using a balloon.

In November I started getting abominal pain again after eating, bloating, vomiting if I ate too much (3 meals in a day), feeling of fullness, growling and gurgling noises at all times, etc.

The endoscopy showed the pylorus was now so closed that the doctor said he was afraid to dilate it due to risk of perforation. He said that 1 or 2 dilations is ok but when it keeps shutting the only option is surgery, especially since I'm young.

I saw a surgeon and he said that he would not perform a pyloroplasty (cutting the pylorus and widening it) because he believed the area is now scar tissue. This condition is found mostly in babies and it's rare for someone my age to get it. As a baby the tissue is still soft and will heal well, but at my age he said there is a risk for the cut to not heal properly, and then I would be dealing with a ton of other problems.

He wants to do a gastroduodenostomy and create a connection between the stomach and the small intestine to bypass the pylorus. I've read about the complications of this procedure and they scare the shit out of me, mainly the dumping syndrome that arises from undigested food entering the small intestine as well as the possibility that bile from the gallbladder may enter the stomach and cause irritation.

Does anyone know if the pyloroplasty can be done at my age? The complications for that are much less problematic, no dumping syndrome, no bile leakage, and it is the preferred procedure for babies.

I would much rather get a pyloroplasty done but the surgeon I spoke with does not want to take that route. As of now, if I eat really small meals, avoid thick, tough breads or foods, and make sure I chew my food, I still get a little bit of pain but I am not vomiting and I can get through the day. I would rather hold out to see if the pyloroplasty is a viable option than jump right in and get the gastroduodenostomy.

Also, if you know a forum where I could get some really good advice, I'd appreciate it. I've read articles regarding this procedure (yay for college library access!) and the pyloroplasty has been performed on adults in the past with success, so that is a light of hope for me.

Cliffs:
Diagnosed with pyloric stenosis
Doc says pyloroplasty is not viable at my age (22)
Doc wants to perform gastroduodenostomy
I am afraid of dumping syndrome, bile leakage
I would rather do the pyloroplasty

MustISO

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
All I can suggest is seeing more doctors/surgeons to get more opinions on treatment.

oiprocs

Diamond Member
Jun 20, 2001
What happens if I get 2 that say go with the gastroduodenostomy, and another 2 that say go with the pyloroplasty?

Do I then make a personal preference choice?

rezinn

Platinum Member
Mar 30, 2004
It's your choice in the end. If you find a doctor that thinks the pyloroplasty is safe, then go for it.

My advice is to go with experience. Find out how many of these procedures your current doctor has done, and see if someone more experienced in the area is available for a consultation.

Status
Not open for further replies.