Discussion Putin v. Trump - Who’s more popular?

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
Which populist currently enjoys more support (in terms of % of total population in their home country?)

The reason I’m asking is that right now, the media pundits are saying that we shouldn’t punish ordinary Russians for Putin’s war—they’re being fed propaganda and don’t know what’s going on. At the same time, some actual Eastern Europeans on Twitter are saying Putin enjoys broad support, and that even amongst those who know better, support for the war is strong.

Is that any different than how other countries saw us with Trump in power? I’m guessing Canadians and Europeans just assumed Trump was a random mistake (or that election interference worked) and that the country didn’t really support him. But he did (and still does) enjoy broad support—perhaps even from a “silent majority”. So do we think Russia’s silent majority might actually still support Putin?

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
The reason I’m asking is that right now, the media pundits are saying that we shouldn’t punish ordinary Russians for Putin’s war—they’re being fed propaganda and don’t know what’s going on.

Humans feed themselves propaganda. We seek it out. Where none exist, we make it. Social media should have taught us all that lesson. The idea of not being responsible due to ignorance, would apply to a GREAT many people for pretty much every notable thing. Is that sort of forgiveness something you want for society? If so... then there is a lot of work to do because tensions are heating up between political divisions where each reads and hears what they want to. And knows reality VERY differently from the other side.

So do we think Russia’s silent majority might actually still support Putin?

What choice do they have?
Didn't you know the West has "attacked" them and they need to "defend" themselves by killing 44 million Ukrainians?

Do not confuse true opposition with unrest borne from the economic collapse they are facing. One could lead to the other, but if the Russian people faced no consequences, most would be perfectly happy sitting back and smiling as their military DID kill all 44 million Ukrainians. But given the gravity of the situation, the unwarranted aggression, the violence, the slaughter Russia is committing, this is war. There is no limit to the pain we need to inflict to force a surrender. Hell, we should be in the war to do as much damage to Russia as is inhumanly possible.

TL;DR: Russia broke the peace, and they know where the exit is. It is our duty to push them through that door.

Dave_5k

Golden Member
May 23, 2017
Which populist currently enjoys more support (in terms of % of total population in their home country?)

So do we think Russia’s silent majority might actually still support Putin?
Polls in Russia and the US are slightly different. While respondents can and do lie to pollsters in both, generally only in Russia do you worry about risk of being jailed for the wrong answer…

But at least up through last week, what polling there is showed Putin at around 70% approval, which Trump could never even dream of. (Trump is still hovering around 40%)

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013

The reason I’m asking is that right now, the media pundits are saying that we shouldn’t punish ordinary Russians for Putin’s war—they’re being fed propaganda and don’t know what’s going on. At the same time, some actual Eastern Europeans on Twitter are saying Putin enjoys broad support, and that even amongst those who know better, support for the war is strong.

Is that any different than how other countries saw us with Trump in power? I’m guessing Canadians and Europeans just assumed Trump was a random mistake (or that election interference worked) and that the country didn’t really support him. But he did (and still does) enjoy broad support—perhaps even from a “silent majority”. So do we think Russia’s silent majority might actually still support Putin?

Either way you slice it the popularity for Trump here in the US just reflects worse on his supporters over Putin's. I mean they totally have more of an excuse in Russia where media is so much more controlled and censorship is much more prevalent. Trumpers here choose to support evil even while having access to real information, they willfully choose to be ignorant in order to satiate the worst emotions and instincts inside them from racism to jingoism and white nationalism, etc... Russians have far less access to real information, so I tend to forgive them more. However at the end of the day both populations are dangerous when they believe things that are fascist nationalist propaganda.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Pity on the Russian populace? Please! Ukrainians are being murdered as fast as Putin can manage it. Squeeze everyone in Russia until this madness stops. Putin's reign of terror has to end ASAP.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
This question is offensive to a degree where I am unable to contemplate its conclusion.

NostaSeronx

Diamond Member
Sep 18, 2011
Meanwhile within the 防火长城:
Every day I wake up I hope my hubby Trump or Putin won't be bullied.

nauseated-face_1f922.png

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Putin. Because their disinformation network and outright lying has been working longer.

Trump, other Republicans and the right wing media adopted that model and it worked well enough to get him elected. In our case what they are doing isn't hidden but masses of people swallow everything they shoot out.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
Well in the case of Putin and Trump, the term "popular" takes on a whole new meaning. Some thing like "is Trump the Scaramouch who can never tell the truth more popular than Putin, a KGB trained megalomaniacal tyrant that murders anyone who challenges his choking grip on his Empire?"

May as well try to decide if a turd from a hyena is more aesthetically pleasing to look at than a turd from a buzzard.

Reactions: Muse