Purchased 40" monitor, need a bit of advice

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
You misunderstood. The 40" TV's are disappearing. The smallest is 43" now which is really too big for a PC monitor.

I would prefer a 38" 4k@144hz @ Chroma 4:4:4 with a Display port.....I'll hold my breath.
Maybe I did misunderstand. My impression from what I've been reading (principally in these forums) the last few days, from a post or two I guess, was that Display Port was available on some 43" models but not on any 40" models. 40" models disappearing does not mean I can't get one or two presently. There's the Avera, there is at least one Samsung model (NU7100). Myself, I could probably fit a 43", just not sure I need, would benefit from or wouldn't suffer from the extra 3". I only said I'd consider a 43" based on my impression that Display Port meant no 40", only 43" and up. It's only because of the Display Port that I would consider a 43" model. What am I missing here?

BTW, I'm seeing posts from people using monitors larger than 43" for computer monitors. Doesn't mean I want one, but it makes me wonder. Obviously, they are not maximizing their windows when computing!

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Well, today I opened the box of Avera 40EQX20 40" 4K I picked up from Walmart 13 days ago. Hadn't opened it because I figured it was not new in box, but a return, as explained in the OP.

What I found was that they sent me the previous year's model, 2016 instead of the one that's been for sale recently, the 2017 model.

1. The remotes are different (see pictures below).
2. The bezel on the 2016 model is more than twice as wide all around as that on the newer 2017 model.
3. There's only one USB port on the 2016 model, there are 2 USB ports on the 2017 model.
4. It could have been the weather today, but the TV reception was worse on this 2016 model than the 2017 model I've been using from Newegg that I'm going to return because of the screen defect.

The remotes, the 2016 model on the left is significantly thicker and heavier than the 2017 model on the right which has 5 more buttons:

GdswbBY.jpg
PxWJpsI.jpg

Last edited:

13Gigatons

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2005
Well, today I opened the box of Avera 40EQX20 40" 4K I picked up from Walmart 13 days ago. Hadn't opened it because I figured it was not new in box, but a return, as explained in the OP.

What I found was that they sent me the previous year's model, 2016 instead of the one that's been for sale recently, the 2017 model.

1. The remotes are different (see pictures below).
2. The bezel on the 2016 model is more than twice as wide all around as that on the newer 2017 model.
3. There's only one USB port on the 2016 model, there are 2 USB ports on the 2017 model.
4. It could have been the weather today, but the TV reception was worse on this 2016 model than the 2017 model I've been using from Newegg that I'm going to return because of the screen defect.

The remotes, the 2016 model on the left is significantly thicker and heavier than the 2017 model on the right which has 5 more buttons:

Wow...you have really bad luck at buying monitors.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Yup, I've been unlucky on this one. Everybody else AFAIK has been getting the 2017 model from Walmart, not the 2016 I got. I'm hoping I can still get a good 2017 model keeper. Both the ones I have are going back to the retailer. They are shown OOS right now, so no guarantee, I may wind up with Samsungs after all. After all this work... well, work doesn't scare me and I have learned a lot anyway.

If I'd known that these would go OOS so soon, and known Walmart's return policy, I would have opened the first one I got from Walmart instead of returning the box unopened. It was for sure the 2017 model, but the box had evidently been rough treated and I was nervous about it. Could have unboxed and tested, inspected it.

Buying monitors is not a simple matter!

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Well, there's one upside to my particular problem at the moment: I have both models I can test and compare right now, although they are both going back.

I just ran Dead Pixel Buddy on each. Both were set to the same settings in the Service Menu, so all things were equal. The 2017 model was quite a bit better than the 2016 model. Not perfect, but way better in terms of uniform lighting of a monochrome screen that switched between black, white, red, blue, green. That's a deciding factor for me right there. Of course, these are just single samples, but I figure I have to go on that.

Mar 11, 2004
Yes, what I've been reading today suggests that Display Port (at least some form of it) is future proofing your purchase. It will give you the equivalent of HDMI 2.1, right? So, maybe a 43" makes more sense even though it seems big to me, than a 40".

I don't know of many TVs that have DisplayPort at all. I don't doubt there are ones, but I think most are HDMI as their only digital inputs.

I think you might be getting mixed up with HDMI spec versions or some other jargon (HDR or something?).

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Looking at the screen defect in the 2017 model I have from Newegg, it's a streak about 2.25" long and it's evidently about 0.3 inches beneath the screen surface. If I have text over it and crane my head side to side, I can see that it's well below the surface. Obviously I could not have done that to the display and it was done at the factory. Not that I handled it in any but the most careful manner anyway.

What could explain that streak? Where in the construction would that be?

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
I'm not sure if I could handle a 40" display at home. My 27" 1440p monitor at home seems big enough to me. Any bigger, and I think that I would be moving my head back and forth to read it all.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I'm not sure if I could handle a 40" display at home. My 27" 1440p monitor at home seems big enough to me. Any bigger, and I think that I would be moving my head back and forth to read it all.
I think the thing to do with a large display for computing is to not maximize your windows.

Mar 11, 2004
Yeah a 40" 4K is basically just 4 20" 1080p displays. You can also sit farther away and use DPI scaling (so say wall mount it, and then sit in like a recliner or something). Use a program that lets you set snap points (don't think Windows lets you but I'm sure there's programs that do).

13Gigatons

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2005

Feels to big
Start to adjust
Start to enjoy the extra space
Wonder how you ever put up with such a small 27" monitor...so out dated.
Then 40" is perfect.....
Then 40" is not so perfect!
Then 40" starts to feel small and maybe you should upgrade to a 50"....

:):):)

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Feels to big
Start to adjust
Start to enjoy the extra space
Wonder how you ever put up with such a small 27" monitor...so out dated.
Then 40" is perfect.....
Then 40" is not so perfect!
Then 40" starts to feel small and maybe you should upgrade to a 50"....

:):):)
I'm liking the 40" I'm using ATM, the Avera 40" 4K with the 2.5" deep scar defect. Every once in a while that defect sticks out like a sore thumb and I realize again it's a for sure RMA to Newegg.

I watched a movie on it tonight, first time. Beauty and the Beast, Disney animation. It did a beautiful job, I must say. I had the audio piped into an amp and 2 medium size Yamaha speakers, via the headphone jack.

Exactly 24 hours ago I bought a 43" TCL, stumbled on this Slickdeals thread. Super deal on what looks like a virtually perfect display for my kitchen table system where the Avera sits now. It lacks brightness but I have the Avera's brightness turned down quite a bit... the room is never bright. I think it will work out great.

I may still have an Avera upstairs, if I can land a 2017 model that isn't defective. I called Walmart yesterday and they said I can get a replacement for the same price I paid for the 2016 model they sent me. If that's true, I'm game. Otherwise, I might look further. The Avera I just watched a movie on has some flaws. For one thing it's a PITA to change the brightness. You have to key in the secret code for the Service Menu, then navigate to the brightness setting. That's about 14 key presses just to get to the setting. Then you press a button N times to change N settings of brightness, e.g. 10 to change from 30 to 40. Then 4 presses IIRC to escape the ugly Service Menu. So, in that event, 28 key presses. Feh! Very creaky design.

Last edited:

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Maybe I was lucky they sent me the wrong year's model. They tell me (Walmart) that if/when they get more in stock they will supply me with one at the same price I paid for the one I bought. But I'm very high on the 43" TCL 43S405 I have been using the last couple weeks and figure I'd like another TCL instead of the Avera 40". It has built in Roku, which updates, and supports PAUSE/FF/REW right out of the box, no subscriptions or fees for that, all you have to do is plug a 16GB flash drive into the USB port and configure it for Live TV usage. I set that up yesterday and love it. Can't program it to turn on like a regular DVR, but once on, it seems great.

Been looking at my options and looks like a good one is Costco's TCL 43S403 at $249.99. It appears to be the same as what I have with different colored feet! Gotta pitch in CA tax and a $7 environmental fee. It's a few bucks more than some other sources but buying from Costco has a big upside: No shipping with untold dangers of rough treatment, it's probably pulled off a pallet, that's about it. Also, any problem at all and Costco will refund my money, and probably long after the 1 year warranty expires. Not sure that would apply to a TV, but maybe so.

Last edited:

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I guess you have never heard of amazon...
As usual you guess wrong. Maybe you should stop guessing.

It's $10 more at Amazon and I'd have to risk damage in shipment. Why would I want to buy it there?

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
As usual you guess wrong. Maybe you should stop guessing.

It's $10 more at Amazon and I'd have to risk damage in shipment. Why would I want to buy it there?

as opposed to the time you have already wasted.... time cannot be bought.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
as opposed to the time you have already wasted.... time cannot be bought.
Time wasted doing what??? I like to make sure before I buy. I hate buyer's regret. This philosophy has served me well.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Time wasted doing what??? I like to make sure before I buy. I hate buyer's regret. This philosophy has served me well.

It's been almost a month. You still don't have a working monitor.

Last edited:

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
It's been almost a month. You still don't have a working monitor.
Nada. You're not paying attention.

From the post you reacted to above, that you obviously didn't read:

I'm very high on the 43" TCL 43S405 I have been using the last couple weeks and figure I'd like another TCL instead of the Avera 40".

I'm looking at my brand new TCL 43S405, been doing that for 2 weeks, love it. I want another for upstairs.

I really like shopping carefully. I get a lot of satisfaction from it. I don't make a lot of mistakes, therefore.

Buying a monitor off Amazon makes no sense if I can get it from a B&M store locally. I hate being on pins and needles waiting for Fedex, I hate worrying if they'll handle the package roughly (they often do). I'll buy at Costco, BB, maybe even Target. Long as I can return for refund. Don't have to mess with mailing labels, customer service online or phone, screw that stuff.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Maybe I was lucky they sent me the wrong year's model. They tell me (Walmart) that if/when they get more in stock they will supply me with one at the same price I paid for the one I bought. But I'm very high on the 43" TCL 43S405 I have been using the last couple weeks and figure I'd like another TCL instead of the Avera 40". It has built in Roku, which updates, and supports PAUSE/FF/REW right out of the box, no subscriptions or fees for that, all you have to do is plug a 16GB flash drive into the USB port and configure it for Live TV usage. I set that up yesterday and love it. Can't program it to turn on like a regular DVR, but once on, it seems great.

Been looking at my options and looks like a good one is Costco's TCL 43S403 at $249.99. It appears to be the same as what I have with different colored feet! Gotta pitch in CA tax and a $7 environmental fee. It's a few bucks more than some other sources but buying from Costco has a big upside: No shipping with untold dangers of rough treatment, it's probably pulled off a pallet, that's about it. Also, any problem at all and Costco will refund my money, and probably long after the 1 year warranty expires. Not sure that would apply to a TV, but maybe so.
Costco offers free technical support and automatically doubles the warranty to 2 years for any TV purchased at Costco. My nephew wanted a TV for his bedroom for Christmas so I bought him the 50" TCL 4k Roku TV as Christmas present and he loves it. The built in Roku is nice and for $300, I thought the TV was a bargain. I'm thinking about buying one for my bedroom.

Reactions: Muse

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
I just bought a "43 Vizio from Walmart.com for $149, it was advertised as refurb but when I got it the factory box was unopened. IMO manufactures will list end of life products as refurbs just as a means of blowing them out. in this case Vizio's new "43 is a 4K model, possibly they did not want tthe older, (but substantially cheaper) model competing with new offerings. In your case, if the 2016 specs are the same as 2017 specs then you got what you paid for, I understand that you would prefer the '17 model but it's not going to be valued any differently as far as what it's worth since it's an appliance, not an auto.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005

I'm very high on the 43" TCL 43S405 I have been using the last couple weeks and figure I'd like another TCL instead of the Avera 40".

I'm looking at my brand new TCL 43S405, been doing that for 2 weeks, love it. I want another for upstairs.

I really like shopping carefully. I get a lot of satisfaction from it. I don't make a lot of mistakes, therefore.

Buying a monitor off Amazon makes no sense if I can get it from a B&M store locally. I hate being on pins and needles waiting for Fedex, I hate worrying if they'll handle the package roughly (they often do). I'll buy at Costco, BB, maybe even Target. Long as I can return for refund. Don't have to mess with mailing labels, customer service online or phone, screw that stuff.
How mich time have you wasted on Walmart already?

13Gigatons

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2005

Blah...personally hate cheap monitors...Avera, TCL.....I barely like the Samsung....love higher end, black levels, higher hertz, no light bleed, etc. Of course the price is difficult to swallow.