puppies are offensive to muslims

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

RightIsWrong

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2005
Originally posted by: brandonb
Originally posted by: RightIsWrong
First of all, if the Muslims don't like it, they can go back to the middle east. As the saying goes "When in rome.... act like romans do." Thats why we have cultures and different countries. Globalism FTL.

Second, if they don't like it, too bad.

I'm wondering if there was a card distributed with an upside down pentagram within a circle and Christians were outraged if you would be so quick to tell them "too bad" and "When in Rome...act like romans do"?

You know those little fish on the bumpster stickers with a cross in it. The Jesus symbol thingy.

We have someone at work here that has the fish in flames that says "Satan" in the middle of it.

Do I care? No... If they want to be an idiot, thats their choice. I just know who to stay away from.

And we are a Christian nation. 95% of the people here consider themselves Christian? So according to our culture, people should act like Christians do. (don't giggle, I realize most people here don't act like Christians...)

And 95% of our population have less wealth than the 5% at the top. I guess we should just resign ourselves as a poor nation and start asking for handouts as well then, right?

There is a reason why the founders structured our .gov as they did so as to not create a mob rules scenario.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
First of all, if the Muslims don't like it, they can go back to the middle east. As the saying goes "When in rome.... act like romans do." Thats why we have cultures and different countries. Globalism FTL.

I'm wondering if there was a card distributed with an upside down pentagram within a circle and Christians were outraged if you would be so quick to tell them "too bad" and "When in Rome...act like romans do"?

You know those little fish on the bumpster stickers with a cross in it. The Jesus symbol thingy.

We have someone at work here that has the fish in flames that says "Satan" in the middle of it.

Do I care? No... If they want to be an idiot, thats their choice. I just know who to stay away from.

And we are a Christian nation. 95% of the people here consider themselves Christian? So according to our culture, people should act like Christians do. (don't giggle, I realize most people here don't act like Christians...)

And 95% of our population have less wealth than the 5% at the top. I guess we should just resign ourselves as a poor nation and start asking for handouts as well then, right?

There is a reason why the founders structured our .gov as they did so as to not create a mob rules scenario.

You shouldn't have to act like a Christian but you should generally be tolerant of local culture. I wouldn't go to a majority Muslim nation and demand bacon with my breakfast and then be offended when I didn't get it. Likewise, I don't give half a damn if a Muslim gets offended by a card with puppy dogs on it in the US.

brxndxn

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2001
I have an issue with Muslims not using antiperspirant.. However, I put up with it in exchange for them putting up with my liking puppies.

dahunan

Lifer
Jan 10, 2002

Originally posted by: dahunan
Originally posted by: Aimster
50 bucks says they are from Saudi Arabia

I don't care where they are from.. I hope they go back and die on their soil.. Don't try to bring ANY of that SHIT here

Or maybe you would share these sentiments and tell the Christians to "go back and die on their soil".

Give me the comparison?

If I was alive when Xtians were owning slaves I hope I would have stood up and told them to go back to hell where that might be acceptable

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Originally posted by: Darwin333
-snip-
I don't give half a damn if a Muslim gets offended by a card with puppy dogs on it in the US.

Umm.. Just for the record, this story is Muslims in the UK, NOT the USA.

Fern

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001

I don't care where they are from.. I hope they go back and die on their soil.. Don't try to bring ANY of that SHIT here

Or maybe you would share these sentiments and tell the Christians to "go back and die on their soil".
Yeah!! Idiotic Fund A Mental Case bullshit no matter what religion needs to keep to themselves.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003

Let's pretend that this did occur in the USA.

I saw your pentagram idea and thought "What, can't do that because of seperation of church and state". The government can no more issue cards with crucifixes than pentagrams.

But that led me to wonder why the anti-Christian types like yourself (If I have mis-characterized you or mistaken you for someone else I apologise) cannot tolerate the govenment acceding to demands of Christian/Judeo religion(s), yet would seem to do so happily for this (Muslim) religion.

Can you explain this seeming contradiction in your position?

TIA

Fern

SAWYER

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Good point Fern, I have always wondered why the same group(usually leftist) is so fast to defend Islam yet bash Christianity, even though Islam usually is more extreme than Christianity.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
Originally posted by: Fern
Originally posted by: Darwin333
-snip-
I don't give half a damn if a Muslim gets offended by a card with puppy dogs on it in the US.

Umm.. Just for the record, this story is Muslims in the UK, NOT the USA.

Fern

My mistake. It doesn't really alter my point though.

ericlp

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
Advertising sell, these people will post these insane headlines because they know idiot americans will click on the links to read the advertisements.

1prophet

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
Originally posted by: Drift3r
Is this any different then Fundi-Christians who think Harry Potter and Halloween are evil and offensive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v...55g80Q&feature=related

Remember folks stuffed animals are the tools of the devil.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v...Z9n69s&feature=related

Funny how you'll never see FOXNEWS covering stuff that isn't Muslim related when it comes to extremist religious views.

Yes one big difference, you don't see those groups apologizing to Fundi-Christians for possibly offending them.

Proctor and Gamble pretty much told them to go pound salt when the false rumour spread that their man in the moon trademark represented Satan.

You can find it on Snopes.

ZebuluniteV

Aug 23, 2007
Originally posted by: Common Courtesy
I would think that this is not applicable to all Muslims.

Originally posted by: eskimospy
Yeah and some Christians don't like Tinky-Winky. The lesson here? Some people are idiots.

Exactly, those are key points some here seem to be forgetting.

Just as it is ridiculous for anyone to claim all Christians are fundamentalist nutjobs because, for instance, a small number of them think Harry Potter is satanism, so is it ridiculous to claim that the couple of fundamentalist nutjob Muslims being offended by a photo of a puppy are somehow representative of all Muslims.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Sawyer
Amazing there are apologists for this crap

No one's apologizing, it's not real. This is fake sensationalist media at its silliest. I personally know Muslims who own dogs as pets. ME people were the first to domesticate the dog.

DarkThinker

Platinum Member
Mar 17, 2007

Oh yeah, here comes the Aimster shocker...I'll go a step further and bet all my 2008 royalties that you are some Persian racist that can't get over the fact that his people got their asses handed to them with all the trimmings at some point in history by the Arabs....boohoohoo

Aimster...I'll have to admit, sometimes your posts are rational and sometimes they make me feel like kicking your Persian ass into some hole Leonidas style.

Getting back on topic, I don't think the Muslims in this scenario should have had any right to get pissed unless that was intentional, but even then woop the fucky doo.

I have said this a million times but still I find myself in need of repeating it, as a Muslim, I think most Muslims in the UK need a good ass beating (I would donate the batons too!) and stricter host nation laws on immigration. They (those of them who don't like it over there as is) should be deported by the thousands on a daily basis and prohibited from any re-entry to the UK of whatsoever. And this also applies to the very brethren nutcases in Holland and Denmark too. Oh and that dog turd of a Cab driver and his fellow in Minnesota who would not provide his services for a blind man with a guide dog...pathetic just pathetic

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
It's idiotic that these morons have a problem with puppies on a postcard, but what really irritates me is that authorities/groups/corporations bow to the demands of these wackos and actually apologize. There should have been no apology, rather a swift kick to the nuts of the complainers.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Originally posted by: Vic
Originally posted by: Sawyer
Amazing there are apologists for this crap

No one's apologizing, it's not real. This is fake sensationalist media at its silliest. I personally know Muslims who own dogs as pets. ME people were the first to domesticate the dog.

Come to MN and you will see it is very real. Why these people decided to hate dogs? They claim it is their religion. And they wont handle pork products even if those pork products are wrapped.

Corbett

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005
Unfortunately, in recent years, it seems immigrants around the world have forgotten about a little thing called "assimilation".

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002
I don't care what any religious group or culture hates or is offended by. If they do not like it then they just shouldn't incorporate it into their lives. That's what America is about when it comes to religious morals and beliefs. Sure, they are going to be mildly exposed to such things from time to time because of the culture that they choose to live amongst but they need to remember that they are in complete control. No one is stopping them from leaving if that mild exposure is having such a tremendous negative impact on their lives that they need to piss and moan about it publicly like this.

America loves cute puppies and they are everywhere. There are very few things in this world which I believe could change that about us. Seriously, I don't even think a mid scale war could change our love for them. :laugh: