Pulling the trigger on Trident Z RGB Ram, May God Help Me If This Does Nt Wrk. R thy even worth It?

DeadlyTitan

Oct 20, 2017
First of all sorry for long title and dopey spellings, was character limited lol.

Its been 2 weeks and i have entered my vacation and i am getting pretty impatient cause the stupid ram i want is out of stock (Corsair Vengeance RGB, since i heard it have better compatibility with msi boards).

I Decided that i do not want to waste my vacation just waiting for parts and just pull the trigger on the Trident Z RGB. May god help me if this combo does not work as i have an MSI Z370 krait gaming board, and i heard bad things about G.Skill refusing to play nice on non Asus boards. I just hope i do not end up bricking my ram.

Please note that i am only referring to controlling the RGB part, not about ram being compatible with the board since its a DDR4 ram and it is compatible, but that is not the reason am worried .. When am buying an RGB ram i would like to control its RGB too without corrupting the SPD or bricking the Ram.

All this makes me think, Is the RGB ram even worth it? or am i just better off buying an general ram. I mean i do like the flashy RGB stuff but not when they are ultra super buggy as they are right now, at least not at the risk of bricking the ram or corrupting its SPD's. So are they worth it?

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
All this makes me think, Is the RGB ram even worth it? or am i just better off buying an general ram. I mean i do like the flashy RGB stuff but not when they are ultra super buggy as they are right now, at least not at the risk of bricking the ram or corrupting its SPD's. So are they worth it?

Not to me, it isn't. All I care about RAM is:

1. Is it stable?

2. Does it work at stated speeds?

The way I always ensure that is I use the motherboard manufacturer's RAM QVL list, or the "memory finder" feature on the RAM manufacturer's website.

BTW, I've never heard that G Skill RAM doesn't "play nice on non Asus boards". G Skill RAM plays nice on any board it is certified to work on (once again, use the QVL list or the memory finder on G Skills' website).

Reactions: DeadlyTitan

DeadlyTitan

Oct 20, 2017
Not to me, it isn't. All I care about RAM is:

1. Is it stable?

2. Does it work at stated speeds?

The way I always ensure that is I use the motherboard manufacturer's RAM QVL list, or the "memory finder" feature on the RAM manufacturer's website.

BTW, I've never heard that G Skill RAM doesn't "play nice on non Asus boards". G Skill RAM plays nice on any board it is certified to work on (once again, use the QVL list or the memory finder on G Skills' website).

Yea my bad for explaining it bad, by play nice i mean its okay as long as you are okay with the static rainbow effect lights, the problem only comes when you try to control the RAM's RGB's, you cannot control the ram RGB's with board software and if you did then you risk corrupting the SPD or even bricking the ram. But in general i heard the same with Asus boards and even the software they(G.Sill and Corsair) provided it buggy to start with.

i dunno, ram used to be so simple like i just buy it and install it and all good. Adding RGB to ram seems to have messed it up and its a starting tech so basically we are beta testing this stuff. Maybe i should just go for a Non RGB ram since all the RGB rams seems to have a some sorta problem. The issue is that at this point people are having expensive memory corrupted by the RGB feature and the software that operates it. This is a serious issue caused by using the product as it was intended. I have seen a number of unwitting customers become victims of the SPD problem.

These things are really expensive where i live ($600 for 32 GB 2x16) not that non RGB rams are any cheaper which is why i am so hesitant to pull the trigger.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
i dunno, ram used to be so simple like i just buy it and install it and all good. Adding RGB to ram seems to have messed it up and its a starting tech so basically we are beta testing this stuff. Maybe i should just go for a Non RGB ram since all the RGB rams seems to have a some sorta problem. The issue is that at this point people are having expensive memory corrupted by the RGB feature and the software that operates it. This is a serious issue caused by using the product as it was intended. I have seen a number of unwitting customers become victims of the SPD problem.

These things are really expensive where i live ($600 for 32 GB 2x16) not that non RGB rams are any cheaper which is why i am so hesitant to pull the trigger.

It's easy to not be a beta tester. Instead buy some fast non-RGB RAM like G Skill, Corsair, Micron, or Kingston. You get to save money and not have to worry about any of the other concerns you stated about RGB RAM.

I am not a fan of many of the utilities the manufactures put out . It's usually buggy and keeps itself in your memory, many times crashing or causing other headaches. I mean, how many times are you going to really be interested looking at your RAM making pretty colors?

DeadlyTitan

Oct 20, 2017
It's easy to not be a beta tester. Instead buy some fast non-RGB RAM like G Skill, Corsair, Micron, or Kingston. You get to save money and not have to worry about any of the other concerns you stated about RGB RAM.

I am not a fan of many of the utilities the manufactures put out . It's usually buggy and keeps itself in your memory, many times crashing or causing other headaches. I mean, how many times are you going to really be interested looking at your RAM making pretty colors?

Lol right ... thank you. I was thinking the same like its not worth the headache. I'll just buy a standard non RGB ram and be done with it. I feel soo stupid for waiting all these days only to buy standard ram lol :tearsofjoy:.

Thank you.

Reactions: UsandThem

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
My RAM in my build. Well built, stable, and works at its stated speed when XMP is enabled in my UEFI:

20-156-139-04.jpg

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Umm not to bother you, i want to go for the same ram, but seems like its not available in pairs and only available in 1x16 GB

so can i just buy 2 of these for 32Gb.. Umm i know stupid question.

http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/z370-krait-gaming/CT10985456

There's the link.

When I use their "memory finder" tool on their website, it shows there are 18 different kits (and capacities) just for DDR4-3000.

http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatible-upgrade-for/MSI(MicroStar)/z370-krait-gaming

Also, Crucial uses different model numbers on their website, so their internal model numbers don't match the retail model numbers. To see what the retail model number is, click on a least two kits, and click compare. On that pop-up box, it will give you the part number, which is the retail model number you can use to find it for sale with other retailers.

DeadlyTitan

Oct 20, 2017
When I use their "memory finder" tool on their website, it shows there are 18 different kits (and capacities) just for DDR4-3000.

http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatible-upgrade-for/MSI(MicroStar)/z370-krait-gaming

Also, Crucial uses different model numbers on their website, so their internal model numbers don't match the retail model numbers. To see what the retail model number is, click on a least two kits, and click compare. On that pop-up box, it will give you the part number, which is the retail model number you can use to find it for sale with other retailers.

I have found mine there - Model Number - BLE16G4D30AEEA and it seems to match the exact number an it says its compatible with my board.

But the thing is its only available in 1x16GB (I was looking for 2x16GB) so i went and bought 2 of them. They will work right ? In dual channel mode ?

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
I have found mine there - Model Number - BLE16G4D30AEEA and it seems to match the exact number an it says its compatible with my board.

But the thing is its only available in 1x16GB (I was looking for 2x16GB) so i went and bought 2 of them. They will work right ? In dual channel mode ?

Using their memory finder (and filtering it by selecting 2 x 16GB under total capacity, and PC4-24000 speed), it shows they offer two different 2 x 16GB DDR4-3000 kits that are certified to work with your board:

BLE2K16G4D30AEEA and BLT2K16G4D30AETA

Outside of the styling of the heatsink, they appear to have the same timings and features.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Also, I forgot to say it appears the module you bought is similar to the kits I saw, so I would contact Crucial and ask them if two of those modules will work in your motherboard. I imagine that will, but they are the ones with all the internal testing data and specs.

DeadlyTitan

Oct 20, 2017
Also, I forgot to say it appears the module you bought is similar to the kits I saw, so I would contact Crucial and ask them if two of those modules will work in your motherboard. I imagine that will, but they are the ones with all the internal testing data and specs.

Yep BLE2K16G4D30AEEA that's one i have bought.

Well the store i bought them does not offer refund and that is the only model they had and they only had them in single sticks which is why i bought 2 of them.

At this point there is nothing much i can do other than hoping to god it works out fine.

Will start building the PC when the CPU cooler arrives thnx to my nephew for loosing the mounting kit on my previous cooler.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Did you buy two 32GB kits (64GB)? Because BLE2K16G4D30AEEA is the model number for a 2 x 16GB (32GB) kit.

DeadlyTitan

Oct 20, 2017
Did you buy two 32GB kits (64GB)? Because BLE2K16G4D30AEEA is the model number for a 2 x 16GB (32GB) kit.

http://www.crucial.com/ProductDispl...p_category=&parent_category_rn=&storeId=10151

This is the exact ram i bought. It says 16 GB 1 module so its a 1x16 GB ram. I bought 2 of them to run them in 2x16GB dual channel mode. Now i am getting very anxious over this issue although i have run different types of (ddr2 and ddr3) ram previously and they all worked in dual channel mode just fine. maybe its cause the fact that i cannot refund if it does not work is making me go crazy.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Ok. When you stated you bought two of the kit numbers I listed above, I thought you bought two 32GB kits.

So you actually bought two of BLE16G4D30AEEA and not two of
BLE2K16G4D30AEEA.

I think you just bought the single stick version of the kit, so you should be fine.

Last edited:

DeadlyTitan

Oct 20, 2017
Ok. When you stated you bought two of the kit numbers I listed above, I thought you bought two 32GB kits.

So you actually bought two of BLE16G4D30AEEA
and not two of
BLE2K16G4D30AEEA.

I think you just bought the single stick version of the kit, so you should be fine.

OMG thank you, that eases some of the anxiety. It really helps.

Yes i bought 2x BLE16G4D30AEEA modules which are 1x16 to run in 2x16 dual channel mode :)

I personally never depend on the warranty cause its a pain anyway and i cannot let my work suffer cause of hardware issues (they take soo long) i am always mentally prepared to just go buy a replacement than waiting for them to honor my warranty but i cannot do that right now, i am spent and exhausted all my available funds in setting up my office and buying this PC and this is kinda making me anxious. Thank you for helping

Reactions: UsandThem

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
I hope you are happy with those. I ran the model-code by the Newegg selection. They also offer DDR4-3000, but the timings are 15-16-16.

If price is important, those could be a decent option. But I had bought 2x 2x8GB kits of TridentZ 3200 14-14-14 @ 1.35V without the LED glitz. I wonder if they're still available . . . wait-a-minute-hold-on-here . . . . Yeah . . . . they're still out there:

TridentZ DDR4-3200 14-14-14 2x16GB = 32GB

$440 -- a hefty piece of change. I saw prices for the Ballistix single 16GB DDR4-3000 between $194 and $215 each. Therefore, the G.SKILLs would probably be the better choice.

Prices are way up since last year. If I'd made my decision to go from 16 to 32GB in my system earlier and felt like disposing of the 2x8 kit for a 2x16, I think I could've done it a year ago for maybe $350 + or -. Instead, I just bought a second pair in a GTZ 2x8GB kit for ~$180+ (this last summer). That gave me 4x8GB=32GB. But I believe running them at a CMD = 1 command-rate will either be troublesome or impossible. I've yet to try it. But they run at spec !!!

I can now see how I might want to double RAM again from 32 to 64. But the price makes it a "want" that I can defer for a long, long time . . .

DeadlyTitan

Oct 20, 2017
I hope you are happy with those. I ran the model-code by the Newegg selection. They also offer DDR4-3000, but the timings are 15-16-16.

If price is important, those could be a decent option. But I had bought 2x 2x8GB kits of TridentZ 3200 14-14-14 @ 1.35V without the LED glitz. I wonder if they're still available . . . wait-a-minute-hold-on-here . . . . Yeah . . . . they're still out there:

TridentZ DDR4-3200 14-14-14 2x16GB = 32GB

$440 -- a hefty piece of change. I saw prices for the Ballistix single 16GB DDR4-3000 between $194 and $215 each. Therefore, the G.SKILLs would probably be the better choice.

Prices are way up since last year. If I'd made my decision to go from 16 to 32GB in my system earlier and felt like disposing of the 2x8 kit for a 2x16, I think I could've done it a year ago for maybe $350 + or -. Instead, I just bought a second pair in a GTZ 2x8GB kit for ~$180+ (this last summer). That gave me 4x8GB=32GB. But I believe running them at a CMD = 1 command-rate will either be troublesome or impossible. I've yet to try it. But they run at spec !!!

I can now see how I might want to double RAM again from 32 to 64. But the price makes it a "want" that I can defer for a long, long time . . .

They are not just $440 for me :). they cost me $440 + $200 Import duty so that's around $640, and yes am very happy with my purchase, i really dont bother with minute details cause i do not run my system for benchmarking. As long as the speed is 3000+ and they have at least cas 17 and i can do my work without having stability issues or any other issues then am good. Am a simple man :)

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
:T

i am running 64gbs c15 of the ram's you want in my system... :X

but on a serious note, gskills are great rams as well.
It would definitely of been my second pick if i didn't get my corsairs set on discount.

My first pick would of probably been Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer if i could only find the sets i wanted for them...

So these corsairs were actually my third pick.

DeadlyTitan

Oct 20, 2017
:T

i am running 64gbs c15 of the ram's you want in my system... :X

but on a serious note, gskills are great rams as well.
It would definitely of been my second pick if i didn't get my corsairs set on discount.

My first pick would of probably been Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer if i could only find the sets i wanted for them...

So these corsairs were actually my third pick.

I was just going for them cause of how pretty they looked lol, i really didnt cared much about performance and stats.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Last edited:

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
Well, for me, it was never the LEDs or even the heatspreader "paint-job." I only care about the speed in Mhz and the latency timings. I mean . . . . could I have done better than 14-14-14-34? @ 3200 Mhz?

Justinus

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2005
Well, for me, it was never the LEDs or even the heatspreader "paint-job." I only care about the speed in Mhz and the latency timings. I mean . . . . could I have done better than 14-14-14-34? @ 3200 Mhz?

It's b-die, but a low bin of it. You could have paid extra for 3600CL15, 4000CL18, but its all good anyway.

The last RAM I bought was some TridentZ 3600CL15 with no LEDs. In fact, at the time they didnt make that rating in and LED or RGB version, I wonder how much the LEDs interfere with signaling?

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
It's b-die, but a low bin of it. You could have paid extra for 3600CL15, 4000CL18, but its all good anyway.

The last RAM I bought was some TridentZ 3600CL15 with no LEDs. In fact, at the time they didnt make that rating in and LED or RGB version, I wonder how much the LEDs interfere with signaling?
That, I wouldn't know. Might not be much, if they can still meet the same specs I have with my low-latency TridentZ kits.

Somebody here, not long ago, suggested I could OC my 3200 TridentZ to 3400 or 3600. For the trouble, I don't think it's worth . . . the trouble.

Justinus

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2005
That, I wouldn't know. Might not be much, if they can still meet the same specs I have with my low-latency TridentZ kits.

Somebody here, not long ago, suggested I could OC my 3200 TridentZ to 3400 or 3600. For the trouble, I don't think it's worth . . . the trouble.

Memory overclocking can take a long, long time to dial something in well. I do it on my main system as a hobby along with all sorts of other overclocking and performance tweaking, but when I threw together the other box with that CL15 3600 stuff, I was like "eh, XMP is good enough for me".