Pulling Over a Cop

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
Originally posted by: savoyboy
Originally posted by: Nebor
Originally posted by: Gamingphreek
Without having read the entire thread, the simple answer is 'Yes'.

When off-duty, the police officer (I feel that cop is somewhat degrading) has no right to speed. Obviously, if he sees something blatantly wrong, he could, theoretically, call on duty.

When on duty, theoretically YES. What people fail to remember is that "No one, not even a police officer or a judge" is above the law. If the police officer is doing something illegal on duty, they will get in trouble (Whether it is a citation or job action). Many times what people fail to remember, is that they will get the benefit of the doubt. More times than not, while on duty, if they are doing something apparently illegal (parked in a fire line), there is an underlying reason for it (Had to park in a hurry to respond to a call).

Law Enforcement Officers (including judges) are not above the law-- No one is above the law. People need to keep that in mind.

-Kevin

I had a citizen complained to my supervisor because i was not wearing seatbelt while i was patrolling her residential neighborhood. Well, i need to exit the car as soon as possible if i have to chase someone or bail out in case of an ambush.

So if you pulled me over for not wearing my seatbelt, I told you I wanted to be able to bail out in case of an ambush, you'd let me go, right?
how fast were you driving?

What if he was going the speed limit?

Ricemarine

Lifer
Sep 10, 2004

When off-duty, the police officer (I feel that cop is somewhat degrading) has no right to speed. Obviously, if he sees something blatantly wrong, he could, theoretically, call on duty.

When on duty, theoretically YES. What people fail to remember is that "No one, not even a police officer or a judge" is above the law. If the police officer is doing something illegal on duty, they will get in trouble (Whether it is a citation or job action). Many times what people fail to remember, is that they will get the benefit of the doubt. More times than not, while on duty, if they are doing something apparently illegal (parked in a fire line), there is an underlying reason for it (Had to park in a hurry to respond to a call).

Law Enforcement Officers (including judges) are not above the law-- No one is above the law. People need to keep that in mind.

-Kevin

Wait wait wait... So does this apply to the time the police officer was getting his cruiser towed because he was in a no parking zone when responding to a call at an apartment complex? :confused:

erikistired

Diamond Member
Sep 27, 2000
Originally posted by: oldsmoboat

define speed limit. speed limit on major streets, residential streets or highway?

:roll:

the speed limit is directly relational to the chance of being ambushed dude, we all know that. it's important!

ChAoTiCpInOy

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2006
Originally posted by: fisher

-Kevin

I had a citizen complained to my supervisor because i was not wearing seatbelt while i was patrolling her residential neighborhood. Well, i need to exit the car as soon as possible if i have to chase someone or bail out in case of an ambush.

wow...just wow. do you get ambushed a lot in residential neighborhoods? especially ones where people are paying enough attention to notice you aren't wearing a seatbelt?

I understand that police officers are the law, but that doesn't mean they are allowed to be above the law. Plus, seatbelts are for your safety.

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
Originally posted by: fisher
Originally posted by: oldsmoboat

define speed limit. speed limit on major streets, residential streets or highway?

:roll:

the speed limit is directly relational to the chance of being ambushed dude, we all know that. it's important!

LOL
What the fake cop said:
"I had a citizen complained to my supervisor because i was not wearing seatbelt while i was patrolling her residential neighborhood."

Most cops I have met and I work with a lot of them, are reasonably intelligent. At least intelligent enough to follow a simple conversation. After all, they have to be able to pick your story apart.
The fact that the fake cop missed the whole "residential neighborhood" thing is funny. He is the one that brought it up.