Pulling Over a Cop

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

hanoverphist

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2006
Originally posted by: RESmonkey
Can a cop pullover another cop?

yes. deputy sheriffs in maricopa do it on occasion, my ex FIL was a deputy in wickenburg for years, he told us stories of pulling over the local cops that were jack asses all the time. he also ticketed off duty cops that flashed their badges, he thought it was shitty of them to use that as a way out of following the rules. hes retired and still carries a 44mag in a hidden holster... i dont fuck with him much.

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
Didn't VA highway patrol cite a bunch of 'Jersey cops for speeding a couple years back?

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
Originally posted by: hanoverphist

yes. deputy sheriffs in maricopa do it on occasion, my ex FIL was a deputy in wickenburg for years, he told us stories of pulling over the local cops that were jack asses all the time. he also ticketed off duty cops that flashed their badges, he thought it was shitty of them to use that as a way out of following the rules. hes retired and still carries a 44mag in a hidden holster... i dont fuck with him much.

Who does he think he is, Dirty Harry? Why does he need to carry a gun?

erikistired

Diamond Member
Sep 27, 2000
Originally posted by: alkemyst
Originally posted by: thecrecarc
Originally posted by: fisher
Originally posted by: savoyboy
Originally posted by: George P Burdell
Do off-duty cops get pulled over for speeding?

what if he's on an urgent call and he has to get there quick? You don't know.

To answer your question: yes, i can get discipline if i drive too fast to non-urgent calls. The professional standard bureau in my department randomly send out unmarked police cars to catch street cops who are speeding. These unmarked police cars are equipped with mobile data terminal(computer) so they know exactly what everyone is doing.

impersonating a cop in your fake thread is one thing. doing it in random threads is a bit over the line imho.
my outfit for Halloween
Text

google images ftw?

Quick! We need a pic with "Fisher got pwned"

Check webster's, his image is with definition. I don't get the guy, he is out to prove everyone is a fraud...must have a craptastic life.

you're an idiot alky, everyone knows that savoyboy isn't a cop. just another losing battle, maybe you should stop hitting the bottle so much.

Randum

Platinum Member
Jan 28, 2004
waste of time. he's probably speeding to get somewhere in a non-emergency situation. and even if he isn't , id rather a cop pass me speeding than anyone else because they are trained for offensive driving-and traveling at high speeds.

hanoverphist

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2006
Originally posted by: Nebor

he probably had a lot of "clients" after working 20+ years as a cop

i think he just doesnt feel comfy unless hes packin. hes 6'4" and about 250, and can still take me down at 60, so im ok with not asking why. and this is az, everyone is packin the heat =P

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003

i think he just doesnt feel comfy unless hes packin. hes 6'4" and about 250, and can still take me down at 60, so im ok with not asking why. and this is az, everyone is packin the heat =P

I guess a lot of people get randomly shot in gas stations, parking lots, and traffic jams?

Rage187

Lifer
Dec 30, 2000
this happened not too long ago, 10 years maybe.

Guy flags down a cop and tries to put him under citizens arrest for speeding. Cop arrests him for interfering with law enforcement business.

hanoverphist

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2006

I guess a lot of people get randomly shot in gas stations, parking lots, and traffic jams?

nope, how polite will you be if you knew there was a very good chance there was a firearm in everyones car? az is an open carry state, and a very easy state to get ccw in.

Gamingphreek

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
Without having read the entire thread, the simple answer is 'Yes'.

When off-duty, the police officer (I feel that cop is somewhat degrading) has no right to speed. Obviously, if he sees something blatantly wrong, he could, theoretically, call on duty.

When on duty, theoretically YES. What people fail to remember is that "No one, not even a police officer or a judge" is above the law. If the police officer is doing something illegal on duty, they will get in trouble (Whether it is a citation or job action). Many times what people fail to remember, is that they will get the benefit of the doubt. More times than not, while on duty, if they are doing something apparently illegal (parked in a fire line), there is an underlying reason for it (Had to park in a hurry to respond to a call).

Law Enforcement Officers (including judges) are not above the law-- No one is above the law. People need to keep that in mind.

-Kevin

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003

nope, how polite will you be if you knew there was a very good chance there was a firearm in everyones car? az is an open carry state, and a very easy state to get ccw in.

So you live in constant fear of being shot by everyone?

hanoverphist

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2006

lol you keep trying, but youre not there yet. and no, i dont live in fear of much at all. firearms are tools, just like any other tool. use them correctly, and they make life easier. do i carry one when working out in the field? yes. i carry tons of very expensive equipment, and am alone in pretty desolate areas that are sometimes prone to "mishaps". in my day-to-day routine i rarely openly carry a firearm, and i never am paranoid or worried someone is out to get me or shoot/ stab/ poison/ maim me. but in the event it does come about, you can guarantee ill have the proper tool for the job at hand.

Demon-Xanth

Lifer
Feb 15, 2000
There was a feud between the LAPD and the LA County sheriffs office that involved cops pulling over each other to the point that they'd follow each other waiting for an opportunity. It took some intervention by higher ups to stop that. It all started when a police officer wouldn't let a sheriffs deputy's wife out of a ticket.

The story does involve a marked car pulling over another marked car.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003

lol you keep trying, but youre not there yet. and no, i dont live in fear of much at all. firearms are tools, just like any other tool. use them correctly, and they make life easier. do i carry one when working out in the field? yes. i carry tons of very expensive equipment, and am alone in pretty desolate areas that are sometimes prone to "mishaps". in my day-to-day routine i rarely openly carry a firearm, and i never am paranoid or worried someone is out to get me or shoot/ stab/ poison/ maim me. but in the event it does come about, you can guarantee ill have the proper tool for the job at hand.

Good point. Maybe I'll look into getting one of these "firearms."

jacob0401

Platinum Member
Jul 31, 2001
Originally posted by: Gamingphreek

When off-duty, the police officer (I feel that cop is somewhat degrading) has no right to speed. Obviously, if he sees something blatantly wrong, he could, theoretically, call on duty.

When on duty, theoretically YES. What people fail to remember is that "No one, not even a police officer or a judge" is above the law. If the police officer is doing something illegal on duty, they will get in trouble (Whether it is a citation or job action). Many times what people fail to remember, is that they will get the benefit of the doubt. More times than not, while on duty, if they are doing something apparently illegal (parked in a fire line), there is an underlying reason for it (Had to park in a hurry to respond to a call).

Law Enforcement Officers (including judges) are not above the law-- No one is above the law. People need to keep that in mind.

-Kevin

I had a citizen complained to my supervisor because i was not wearing seatbelt while i was patrolling her residential neighborhood. Well, i need to exit the car as soon as possible if i have to chase someone or bail out in case of an ambush.

So cops don't wear seatbelts in general?

giantpinkbunnyhead

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2005
Originally posted by: ChAoTiCpInOy
Originally posted by: giantpinkbunnyhead
I watched one cop write a ticket for another cop's cruiser, which had been parked in a red zone. It's not speeding, but it did satisfy my curiosity about whether a cop could ticket another cop.

how do you know he was writing a ticket? Just because he wrote something down doesn't mean it's a ticket.

besides, it's stupid to write a ticket to a marked police car just for that reason. My city allows emergency service vehicles to park in the red zone.

Maybe they were faking it for you so that you would think they were writing tickets. I thought the red zone is for emergency service vehicles.

This red zone was in front of a school, and parking there was impeding traffic. I saw the one cop writing in a ticket book while standing in front of the illegally parked cruiser; then 30 minutes later when I came back down that road, there was the telltale red envelope stuffed under the cruiser's windshield wiper.

Whether it REALLY was a ticket, I don't know... but it sure as hell looked to be.

BigJ

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
Good point. Maybe I'll look into getting one of these "firearms."

Throughout that whole thing, I actually had to do a doubletake at who was posting.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003

-Kevin

I had a citizen complained to my supervisor because i was not wearing seatbelt while i was patrolling her residential neighborhood. Well, i need to exit the car as soon as possible if i have to chase someone or bail out in case of an ambush.

So if you pulled me over for not wearing my seatbelt, I told you I wanted to be able to bail out in case of an ambush, you'd let me go, right?

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
Originally posted by: jacob0401

-Kevin

So cops don't wear seatbelts in general?
after seeing numerous accidents involving fatalities where the brain meets the windshield, you'd wear your seatbelt too.

Personally, I dont wear seatbelt if i drive slower than 25mph, but I will buckle up if i drive above 25mph.

Don't you use km/h in Mexico?

erikistired

Diamond Member
Sep 27, 2000

-Kevin

wow...just wow. do you get ambushed a lot in residential neighborhoods? especially ones where people are paying enough attention to notice you aren't wearing a seatbelt?

tasmanian

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2006

-Kevin

wow...just wow. do you get ambushed a lot in residential neighborhoods? especially ones where people are paying enough attention to notice you aren't wearing a seatbelt?

Dont feed the troll. He is supposedly a illegal alien, mexican gardner, and cop/cadet.