Question Pulling CPU Heatsink off rips out the cpu?

Nov 26, 2005
I'm on one leg of my transition to Vermeer and I picked up a Chromax Black for my game rig to replace the chrome one I bought a year ago. Upon pulling off the heatsink the CPU ripped right out of the motherboard along with the heatsink. The locking bar on the motherboard was still in the locked position, and now is loose. I don't see any pins ruined but my eyesight isn't as good as it was 15yrs ago. I've tried zooming in with my camera on my phone but that isn't helping.

Am I in big trouble with this?

• Wow
Reactions: DisEnchantment
Nov 26, 2005
Allways twist the heatsink a bit before pulling. Reseat CPU, and see if it works.

I must not have twisted it enough. I was trying that, then I gave a little pull and was going to go back to twisting..

At this point I'm not sure if the CPU will even be secure in the socket because of the locking bar being compromised.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Yes, I've done that 2-3 times so far, with the stock Wraith Stealth or Wraith Spire heatsinks. The thing with those is, you real CAN'T just "twist" then, because the four legs are in the posts, and you have to pull the heatsink off to get them out of that position. Combine that with the stock paste that becomes a bit like glue, and yeah... RIP, out the CPU comes! Thankfully, none of the incidents have resulted in bad pins, and I didn't notice any damage to the socket longer-term either.

chrisjames61

Dec 31, 2013
I'm on one leg of my transition to Vermeer and I picked up a Chromax Black for my game rig to replace the chrome one I bought a year ago. Upon pulling off the heatsink the CPU ripped right out of the motherboard along with the heatsink. The locking bar on the motherboard was still in the locked position, and now is loose. I don't see any pins ruined but my eyesight isn't as good as it was 15yrs ago. I've tried zooming in with my camera on my phone but that isn't helping.

Am I in big trouble with this?
I would have checked with a magnifying glass.

Reactions: BTRY B 529th FA BN
Nov 26, 2005
I can hardly see the points your guys are making.. there is absolutely no room between the cpu and heatsink. I fail to see how the paste is responsible for keeping it under 80*C when stress testing.

bononos

Diamond Member
Aug 21, 2011
I did notice tiny, what looked like, gold shavings. Only 2. I took a vacuum hose and hovered it over the socket. I'm about 20 passes on TM5 and I think it's solid. Tank like, if you will.

My rig isn't pretty but it stacks frags

You have to be more careful about moving your case about in future because of whats happened.

As an aside, heatsinks which are fastened with screws are better than spring tabs because of the risk of the heatsink 'jumping' out of the socket during disassembly and taking the cpu with it and bending a few pins.

Elfear

Diamond Member
May 30, 2004
I can hardly see the points your guys are making.. there is absolutely no room between the cpu and heatsink. I fail to see how the paste is responsible for keeping it under 80*C when stress testing.

No room you can probbaly make out with the naked eye however, both your CPU and heatsink have surface imperfections and aren't perfectly flat. The thermal paste fills in those gaps and provides heat conduction. It definitely serves a purpose.

Reactions: ryan20fun

chrisjames61

Dec 31, 2013
If you want to try it good luck finding a new cpu. Been there done that. Accidentally of course. Doing it on purpose? Well that would be akin getting into an auto accident on purpose because you think your airbag would save you.

Tup3x

Dec 31, 2016
If you don't want to use thermal paste then something like Thermal Grizzly Carbonaut is an alternative. It doesn't beat paste but it's simple to use.