PSA: Why you should avoid Motorola Phones.

IeraseU

Aug 25, 2004
Cliff Notes:
-I buy a Moto X in late 2013 directly from Motorola.com via their ‘Moto Maker’ app. My decision is influenced by positive reviews, and also by the fact that Google owns the company, which I associate with fast software updates and good customer service.

-Google sells Motorola to Lenovo in early 2014. Some alarm bells go off in the back of my mind, but I keep an open mind.

-After just over a year of ownership, the phone falls out of my hand while I am leaving the gym and the screen is cracked. The phone is still functional; it’s just a cracked screen.

-I try to initiate a repair via the Motorola website, and get an error message asking me to call customer service. I call, and after being put on hold several times, I am told that they will not repair my device. I ask to speak to a manager on the phone, and am told “Every manager in the building will tell you the same thing.”

-I contact customer service by email and formally ask to have my case reviewed by a supervisor or manager. They basically say, “Get lost. We are not going to fix your phone, but you are welcome to buy a new one from us at full price.”

Here’s the full story:
I purchased a Moto X during the shopping season of 2013. There were lots of reasons that I decided to go with the ‘underdog’ Motorola and their Moto X at the time, including a great form factor, innovative software features such as ‘Active Notifications’ , ‘always on’ voice commands, not to mention the ability to customize the appearance of your phone with ‘Moto-maker’ on the Motorola website. At the time Motorola was also owned by Google, and I have always heard that Google is consistently rated as one of the best companies to work for, and it’s also a company that is known for great customer support.

After reading positive reviews such as these….

http://www.droid-life.com/2013/12/24/top-5-android-phones-of-2013

http://www.computerworld.com/articl...es-you-can-buy-right-now--december-2013-.html

…..I purchased a 32gb Moto X and was happy with the phone right from the start. Everything seemed great for a while. I was delighted when my phone received a very timely update to the newest version of Android (KitKat, at the time), and in general I was really enjoying the phone.

In early 2014 when I read that Google had sold Motorola to Lenovo for roughly 3 billion dollars, I’ll admit that initially a few alarm bells went off in the back of my mind. In truth, one of the reasons I had purchased a Motorola phone was because of the reputation enjoyed by parent company Google, and although I had heard of the China based company Lenovo, I didn’t have any personal experience with them. For a time though, everything seemed to be going great. I even read that Motorola was offering free screen repairs to some of its customers as a perk, and with that my customer service concerns seemed to fade away as unfounded.

sources:
http://www.techtimes.com/articles/8...screen-you-can-get-a-replacement-for-free.htm

http://www.androidauthority.com/moto-screen-fix-393278/

Fast forward a year later. The 2014 shopping season tempted me with lots of shiny new smartphones, among them the 2nd generation Moto X and the Nexus 6 (also made by Motorola), but since I was still quite satisfied with my device, I decided to stick it out for another year before upgrading in order to get the best value out of my dollar. At least that was my plan. However, one day while walking out of the gym the phone slipped out of my hands and fell unto the pavement. I did have a protective case on my phone, and the fall wasn’t from that great of a height, but I guess it was just one of ‘those things’ in which the phone happened to land in a particularly vulnerable spot, on particularly hard pavement, and poof!; just like that I had a cracked screen on my hands.

No big deal I thought, I will just get it repaired. At first I tried the repair process on Motorola’s website, but it gave me an error message (100-14) and advised me to call customer service. I called, was put on hold several times, and eventually was told that they would be unable to repair my screen for any price (even though I had read articles that Motorola sometimes offered free repairs, I never asked to have my phone repaired for free). Taken by surprise, I ask to speak to a manager, and was told “I’m sorry, but every manager in the building will tell you the same thing. Our policy will not allow us to repair this phone.” At that point I asked what alternatives I had, and they offered to sell me a new phone at full price. Really??? Basically Motorola is unwilling to repair the screen on my phone. I proceeded to contact customer support via email and formally asked to have my situation reviewed by a manager or supervisor. This is the response I received:

“Dear Jose,

I regret to inform you that after further review of your case, I have determined that due to your device being out of warranty and having physical damage, We will be unable to process a replacement at this time, Our policy will not allow us too process your device, Not even for a fee. I hope this clarifies why the agent was unable to process your device. Thank you for choosing Motorola, Please have a nice day!

Mariano N
Motorola Mobility” (Incident #150106-021395)

This on a phone that is last year’s flagship model. So this would be equivalent of Apple refusing to repair an iPhone 5s screen or Samsung refusing to repair a Galaxy S4.

Could the same thing happen to you if you purchased a Moto X 2nd Gen or a Nexus 6? Remember that I purchased the flagship Motorola phone directly from the Motorola website just a year ago.

With the hindsight of my experience, I have to recommend that you consider alternatives to Motorola when buying a smartphone. Admittedly their phones do have a nice design and clever software features, but their support and service after the fact really left a bad taste in my mouth. If I had this kind of trouble with a 1 year old device, what happens if you ever decide to contact Motorola 2 or 3 years down the road?

I left the ‘incident case number’ up in case anyone here is associated with Motorola and wants to look it up and verify that my story is legitimate. Ok, you’ve been warned. Hopefully this will help some of you avoid some of the headaches that I had to go through.

So where do I go from here? Well, I’ve decided to post my story to as my tech forums and websites as I can, and will make a video showing some screen captures from my back and forth emails with Motorola. Thanks for reading.

sm625

Diamond Member
May 6, 2011
Yeah but the cost of replacing the screen exceeds the value of the phone anyway. You can literally buy a new Motox 2nd gen for the typical going rate of an iPhone screen repair. I dont have pricing on other phones but it costs $200 to replace the screen on an iphone 5s. So even if they would replace your screen, why would you want to, considering you can pay a very small additional amount and have a new phone with better specs?

I think pretty much everyone just accepts that the price of a broken screen is buying a new phone. One of the many perks of not buying top end hardware is that you dont have to worry about what to do with the phone when it breaks. Now, if you actually buy a $500+ phone then you should purchase at least an additional year of repair coverage to go with it.

gmaster456

Golden Member
Sep 7, 2011
Lol. My moto X's screen cracked so I emailed them, received a reply in 5 minutes and within the hour I had a brand new, fully customized (by me) moto x being shipped to my door no questions asked. AND they let me keep my old phone to transfer everything over. Best customer service I've ever received. Granted I was within the warranty period and I expected them to do nothing. I had nothing better to do so I thought why not.

I do think you are in the wrong however, as they had no obligation to cover damage due to an accident or negligence. Why you expected them to is beyond me.

IeraseU

Aug 25, 2004
It's not about the money for me. My goal is simply to share my experiences and perhaps if enough people do likewise, companies will get the message that support after the point of sale matters. If it was an iPhone, I could walk right into the Apple Store and get a repair, and I know Samsung has a decent, although lengthier, procedure for repairs.

Basically I just want to put the information out there. If I had read this about a prior Motorola smartphone, I know that I would have gone to another manufacturer. If they put on their website "no repairs after 1 year", again I would just have purchased something else.

IeraseU

Aug 25, 2004
I do think you are in the wrong however, as they had no obligation to cover damage due to an accident or negligence. Why you expected them to is beyond me.

I did not seek warranty coverage. I only sought to have my phone repaired for a fee.

Morbus

Apr 10, 2009
I own a first generation Moto G and it's the bomb. Beast phone I've ever had, better even than the 3310 (yeah, I know, sacrilege, but it's true!).

I love it to bits.

That's my reason for recommending Motorolla to my friends. I can understand if their costumer service isn't good, but them's the breaks. Nothing is perfect.

foghorn67

Lifer
Jan 3, 2006
Yeah, they may not have the facilities or the inventory necessary to conduct replacements.
It sucks, but that is the way it is.

I'm out of Motorola for a different reason, no Android L on the 2013 Moto X yet, no announcement of when. Just a promise from Sunit from last summer. That's all we got. Sony announced their Z3 will get it next month.
That would be sad if my Z3 wins the race.

Ramses

Platinum Member
Apr 26, 2000
These guys can't make enough Nexus 6 as it is, let alone whatever else they have in the pipe. I'm not shocked they don't want to bother repairing an old phone, for a fee or not.
Sucks but a year is ancient for a cellphone. Pursue repair with an aftermarket outfit maybe.

sweenish

Diamond Member
May 21, 2013
*fee

But it's not unheard of for an OEM to be able to repair their own products. However, if Moto wouldn't, and you're outside of your warranty anyway, I'm sure there's someone at the local mall that could have fixed it for you.

Slight bummer, to be sure. Enough to try and post a "cautionary tale?" Not even close.

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
Yeah, they may not have the facilities or the inventory necessary to conduct replacements.

My friend has a Verizon X1 that had a legit warranty problem they couldn't rectify because they ran out of the on-contract models for RMA.

He is not too worried though, its a small deal and you can buy the phone on swappa for 2 bills. In Android the lack of service is made up for by the amazing depreciation of value.

I'm out of Motorola for a different reason, no Android L on the 2013 Moto X yet, no announcement of when.

Amen. He is WAY more pissed that I got Lollipop on my M8 before he got it on his X than the RMA thing.

I was terrified when Moto was sold to Lenova that without Google's pressure they would cut back on OS updates as a priority. Looks like that is the case.

The list of vendors with a good track record is now Samsung, HTC, LG, and Nvidia.

KeithP

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2000
I am not sure I believe this has anything to do with the Lenovo acquisition. For any company that manufacturers phones, there is a difference between doing warrantee work and doing repairs for a fee.

It may not be immediately obvious but it would open a not insignificant can of worms to offer retail repair services.

I am a bit surprised that they don't have a refurbished exchange type of program where for a flat fee they take your phone and give you back a refurb phone but given the costs involved it probably wouldn't be worth it vs buying new.

Personally speaking, I don't see a situation like yours as being a significant enough reason to not buy a Motorola phone.

Hopefully you will be able to find a good local repair service.

-KeithP

IeraseU

Aug 25, 2004
Personally speaking, I don't see a situation like yours as being a significant enough reason to not buy a Motorola phone.

Hopefully you will be able to find a good local repair service.

-KeithP

Well, I appreciate the rational demeanor of your post. I'm quite sure it's not a deal breaker to everyone, and as I said, my main goal is share my experience.

Going on, I have often read that many Android manufacturers struggle with profitability. For a long time Samsung was the only one that was making a significant return, and even though they are faltering a bit as of late, in the Android world it's still pretty much Samsung, and then everyone else.

No, it's not a big deal for everyone (out of warranty repair support), but even if it's not a big deal to you, it's better to know the policy beforehand.

As for how the Lenovo acquisition would affect speedy software updates, I can only speculate, but certainly I felt better with Google as a parent company.

rcpratt

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
This is absurd. If they don't want to be in the phone repair business, they don't have to be. Just because that's how Apple runs their business (in order to fleece silly sheep) doesn't mean that's how every manufacturer has to.

It's like if you bought a car from a certain dealership and then they refused to perform repairs on that car after it was in an accident. What? That's what body shops are for. Yeah, most dealerships have service departments. But if they don't want to be in that business...

Zivic

Diamond Member
Nov 25, 2002
Lol. My moto X's screen cracked so I emailed them, received a reply in 5 minutes and within the hour I had a brand new, fully customized (by me) moto x being shipped to my door no questions asked. AND they let me keep my old phone to transfer everything over. Best customer service I've ever received. Granted I was within the warranty period and I expected them to do nothing. I had nothing better to do so I thought why not.

I had the same experience. I dropped my phone, looked up if I could pay to get the screen replaced. they sent me a code to order up a brand new phone.

Megatomic

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
I had the same experience. I dropped my phone, looked up if I could pay to get the screen replaced. they sent me a code to order up a brand new phone.
Same with my wife's Motomaker Moto X 2013. They allowed her to create a new custom phone and sent it to her without needing to put a hold on her credit card. She used Moto Migrate to transfer everything over to the new phone and returned the broken device in the prepaid shipping materials they provided to her. We are big fans of Motorola Mobility even if that is a division of Lenovo now.

wabbitslayer

Dec 2, 2012
I vowed to not get a Motorola phone ever again when they gave a great big old "F.U." to Atrix owners back when it was gingerbread to ICS upgrade time and the device had been on the market less than a year.

jacktesterson

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2001
Isnt there tons of shops around that would do this for you without the hassle of returning it?

I wouldn't even bother contacting Moto in this situation to begin with.

jacktesterson

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2001
I vowed to not get a Motorola phone ever again when they gave a great big old "F.U." to Atrix owners back when it was gingerbread to ICS upgrade time and the device had been on the market less than a year.

I think you can let this go by now. Moto wasn't even close to the only manufacturer who did this back then.

Hell I still have a LG Optimus G as a backup on 4.1.2 that will never see Kitkat let alone Lollipop where I am. It was LG's top phone like 2 yrs ago.

I think most manufacturers have realized now that people want updates, especially with flagships.

Last edited:

SAWYER

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
After owning a Moto G I will definelty have a Moto phone at the top of my list

Ravynmagi

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2007
This would have no impact on my purchasing decision.

I agree with others. After over a year, the value of the phone may not justify an expensive repair. And it is most likely that having the phone repaired by a third party would be much cheaper than the manufacture anyway (though with some risks too).