PSA -Sapphire Reserve with 100K points bonus, LAST CHANCE is Saturday 3/11 at branch...

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

GoodRevrnd

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
Just to be clear on this, when is the $300 travel credit granted? Immediately each year? I would always use that so this knocks the fee down to $150. That puts the break even point at $7150 in standard spend per year using the estimated point value or $10k at UR portal value? Seems borderline for me long-term, but I probably actually charge up more than I think. :p I don't get to rack up business travel/expenses so I think at best I could pull 25k points/year on a base/travel/dining mix. Seems borderline worth it?

Last edited:

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Just to be clear on this, when is the $300 travel credit granted? Immediately each year? I would always use that so this knocks the fee down to $150. That puts the break even point at $7150 in standard spend per year using the estimated point value or $10k at UR portal value? Seems borderline for me long-term, but I probably actually charge up more than I think. :p I don't get to rack up business travel/expenses so I think at best I could pull 25k points/year on a base/travel/dining mix. Seems borderline worth it?

Immediately as the charges post. You don't even have to wait for a statement to close. It's also credit in partials - You don't have to cross $300 to get it, you'll get individual charges reimbursed up to a total of $300/year. I had my 2017 credit in full before the end of 2016.

Viper GTS

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Yeah, in the span of 4 days, having the card for maybe 6 days, I already received a full credit for a $40 roundtrip plane ticket (I had a voucher), and $20 for purchasing value on DC Metro. Statement hasn't even posted.

I imagine you still have to pay the full $450 fee, right? I know it's the same difference in cash...but part of me wishes it would just chisel away at that fee directly, and the fee you pay is simply the difference in value from the used travel credit. I tend to keep low monthly balance on my ccs (paid in full), and that 450 on top of whatever spending for one month, every year, is a tough pill for me. :D

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
So the $300 travel credit is just automatic reimbursements? I was wondering how that works. I'm going to be renting a car in Aruba so I wonder if they will just reimburse me for that.

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
So the $300 travel credit is just automatic reimbursements? I was wondering how that works. I'm going to be renting a car in Aruba so I wonder if they will just reimburse me for that.

If the vendor uses a MCC code that matches with one of Chase's defined categories the credit is triggered. (Some vendors only have one code so everything will code the same way regardless of type while other, larger companies have many so it can depend on the store or even the register within the store.) For those with a single code it generally matches their main business model although there can be interesting side effects of this. A few years ago it was possible to buy a car from Hertz Car Rental and have the $5k they allowed for a CC purchase to code as a travel transaction. The card vendors either gave them a new MCC to use for those sales or Hertz spun the business off.

If its a major car rental place there is a pretty high probability that the credit will just instantly post

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
If the vendor uses a MCC code that matches with one of Chase's defined categories the credit is triggered. (Some vendors only have one code so everything will code the same way regardless of type while other, larger companies have many so it can depend on the store or even the register within the store.) For those with a single code it generally matches their main business model although there can be interesting side effects of this. A few years ago it was possible to buy a car from Hertz Car Rental and have the $5k they allowed for a CC purchase to code as a travel transaction. The card vendors either gave them a new MCC to use for those sales or Hertz spun the business off.

If its a major car rental place there is a pretty high probability that the credit will just instantly post
If I do rent a car it'll probably be through Travelocity or Expedia or one of those, so I'd assume that would work. Thanks though i did not know that was how easily it works.

repoman0

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2010
If I do rent a car it'll probably be through Travelocity or Expedia or one of those, so I'd assume that would work. Thanks though i did not know that was how easily it works.

I spent my travel credit already, a couple hundred of it was a rental car in Spain through Budget. Tons of random stuff qualified for me ... metro tickets, entrance tickets to a couple sites over there, etc. It does just post right away.

Elganja

Platinum Member
May 21, 2007

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
they take a long time to respond, apparently. 2 weeks now and no word on whether or not i got the card.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
cool, so maybe there is a chance after all
giphy.gif

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Chase Ultimate Rewards portal is down yet again. It was down all yesterday evening and it's still not fixed. Same thing happened last Friday and Saturday. It's pretty frustrating when you're trying to book a trip.

Also, how do people buy points from other than Chase? I would be interested in buying points from others.

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
they take a long time to respond, apparently. 2 weeks now and no word on whether or not i got the card.

It might be worth calling their reconsideration line @ 1-888-270-2127. The why it takes a while can vary - mistyped name, verify some additional information, too much outstanding credit with Chase (so you can move some credit limit around on cards to get approved). They might even do rough IP based application tracking. I forget where we were (Boston?) but my wife applied for a card and got the 'we'll let you know' webpage. She called in a few hours later and it was because they just wanted to make sure it was actually her that applied. Thats never happened before in numerous chase apps and the call was about 30 seconds and only consited of "Are you Mrs Exterous? Please verify your SS. Did you apply for this card? Ok you're approved" so thats the only thing I can think of

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
cool, so maybe there is a chance after all
It might be worth calling their reconsideration line @ 1-888-270-2127. The why it takes a while can vary - mistyped name, verify some additional information, too much outstanding credit with Chase (so you can move some credit limit around on cards to get approved). They might even do rough IP based application tracking. I forget where we were (Boston?) but my wife applied for a card and got the 'we'll let you know' webpage. She called in a few hours later and it was because they just wanted to make sure it was actually her that applied. Thats never happened before in numerous chase apps and the call was about 30 seconds and only consited of "Are you Mrs Exterous? Please verify your SS. Did you apply for this card? Ok you're approved" so thats the only thing I can think of

so, probably waiting for an original pome from manahan before they approve?

Reactions: brianmanahan

Aharami

Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
I'd call them. I applied on Wed the 11th and had my card in hand by Fri the 13th

KillerCharlie

Diamond Member
Aug 21, 2005
Mine was 15 calendar days from application to an email saying I was accepted. My preferred card was insant, but that was less than a year ago so they were probably checking for 5/24 or something.

For purchases not counting toward the $300 credit, I wouldn't be surprised if you could call them and send them receipts to prove it was travel. The customer service for the Sapphire cards are pretty good. I find myself calling them for simple things because the CS makes it easy.

AznAnarchy99

Lifer
Dec 6, 2004
I'm hoping it's as good as AMEX CS. I've been a loyal AMEX SPG user for quite a few years now and I've always loved their customer service.

It's good unless you have a dispute. They outsource their disputes to their indian or filipino call center.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Does the vacation credit post to the account as soon as the travel purchase goes from "pending" to actually posting? Just curious because I booked a place on AirBNB last night (which put me over $4k already in less than 2 weeks lol) and don't see it yet, but I just want to keep an eye out for it. I'm assuming AirBNB counts as a travel spot.

kaerflog

Golden Member
Jul 23, 2010
It will credit you right away as soon as it post. If it doesn't then it didn't recognize the purchase as travel.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Okay thanks, I'll just wait for the airbnb purchase to post in a few days and check it out.