Info PSA- Public impeachments start today- UPDATE 2/5/2020- Trump wins.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
Expected since their options for a rational defense of the president are terrible and read like things sundowning grandparents would post on Facebook.

Absolutely. This is one of the most particularly sickening parts of the whole thing for me. Trying to out and/or intimidate whisteblowers is absolutely unacceptable. That is a protection paramount to the security of a free state. Attack the veracity of the complaints, certainly, but it stops there.

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
I don't think this is going to go well for Dems. I think Repubs are better at sound bites which is all most people will have time to watch.

This is not going to lead to a sudden drastic shift in public opinion in favour of impeachment and removal. What is it at now, like 52%?

Unfortunately that's because overly simplistic emotional rants are "easier to digest." Humans, by our very nature, seek "cognitive ease" - the GOP has, for a very long time now, exploited basic human physiology with their bullshit. (Not that the left hasn't in some instances, but no where near to the degree)

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Unfortunately that's because overly simplistic emotional rants are "easier to digest." Humans, by our very nature, seek "cognitive ease" - the GOP has, for a very long time now, exploited basic human physiology with their bullshit. (Not that the left hasn't in some instances, but no where near to the degree)
You can thank Frank Luntz for this nightmare of words by the conservatives.

ewdotson

Golden Member
Oct 30, 2011
I don't think this is going to go well for Dems. I think Repubs are better at sound bites which is all most people will have time to watch.

This is not going to lead to a sudden drastic shift in public opinion in favour of impeachment and removal. What is it at now, like 52%? The GOP are too spineless and worried about their own political futures to do anything useful. Not saying the same doesn't apply to Dems, but at least they're not beholden to a massively corrupt criminal.
It's certainly plausible that this won't get well for the Dems. But they have to at least try. Just ignoring the brazen corruption isn't an acceptable option.

That said, I don't think there's any particular expectation of this leading to a Senate conviction. The real question is how these proceedings will impact turnout in the 2020 election.

Reactions: whm1974 and dank69
Jan 25, 2011
A tale of two networks.

EJQ99j-XkAAF0DR

EJQ99j9XUAA0Eg5

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
A tale of two networks.

So absurd on it's face, too. Fox's critiques are that Taylor doesn't like Trump and that he doesn't have first hand knowledge of events that the President himself admitted are true. Who cares if he's the biggest Trump hater on the planet, either what he's testifying to is true or not - it's really that simple. The 3 points made by Fox News are entirely worthless. I know you know all of this, it's just ridiculous.

Reactions: Homerboy

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
This Taylor testimony is a real motherfucker for the Republicans.

Jan 25, 2011
You act like they are going to actually acknowledge or address what he is actually saying...

Taylor is a hard one for them to impeach the credibility of. West Point grad, experienced diplomat and Pompeo had to beg him to come back and take the post after what he saw them do to Yovanovich.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
You act like they are going to actually acknowledge or address what he is actually saying...

Of course not. Attacking the substance of this is so totally doomed.

He'll be accused of being a deep state Democrat who is disloyal to the president and not interested in Trump's holy crusade against corruption in Ukraine.

fleshconsumed

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2002
Yeah, listening in the background at work, his testimony confirms everything that has been reported in the news so far. In particular, one, WH did pressure Zelinsky to issue press release, and two, Trump explicitly told him it is not "quid pro quo" meaning that Trump was aware that what he was doing was illegal and did it anyway.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Nice move, surprise smoking gun. Phone call between Sondland and Trump at restaurant.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Yeah, listening in the background at work, his testimony confirms everything that has been reported in the news so far. In particular, one, WH did pressure Zelinsky to issue press release, and two, Trump explicitly told him it is not "quid pro quo" meaning that Trump was aware that what he was doing was illegal and did it anyway.
Yea, this is definitely a Trump technique. Do illegal things while injecting in the conversation that he's what he's doing in not illegal.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
Trump is a cult, and nothing more.
We all have seen how a cult reacts when the motives of that cult leader are questioned.
Or exposed.
Nothing new to see here except how deep the cult devotion can go.

Adolf Hiller would have never allowed this process to take place, Donald Trump is working to obtain that same result.
The cult is united.

Jan 25, 2011
Well, there goes the first hand knowledge argument.

“Following that meeting, in the presence of my staff at a restaurant, Ambassador Sondland called President Trump and told him of his meetings in Kyiv. The member of my staff could hear President Trump on the phone, asking Ambassador Sondland about ‘the investigations.’ Ambassador Sondland told President Trump that the Ukrainians were ready to move forward,” Taylor recounted.

He added: “Following the call with President Trump, the member of my staff asked Ambassador Sondland what President Trump thought about Ukraine. Ambassador Sondland responded that President Trump cares more about the investigations of Biden, which Giuliani was pressing for.”

fleshconsumed

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2002
LOL I wanted to check comments on Fox News youtube live streaming channel, but you can only see it/participate if you've been pre-approved by Fox News first. Snowflakes much?

• Haha
Reactions: soundforbjt

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
This is in no small part basically a remedial course in international relations and strategy for the country put on by very extremely competent people.