Info PSA- Public impeachments start today- UPDATE 2/5/2020- Trump wins.

Page 186 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Yeah Biden isn't gonna do that. I doubt he'd support any of the stuff people have suggested (increasing the number of judges and then packing the courts).

I honestly don't think doing that will accomplish anything but hasten what seems to be the inevitable goal of right wingers: literal war. They'll view that as their only option then. You don't honestly think they'll take anything like that offered by Democrats in that manner, do you? (Do I need to cite the studies showing overwhelming support for the ACA policies until its called the ACA, or how even gun owners overwhelmingly agree there should be stricter gun regulations?) Republicans will claim its something else and so right wingers will refuse to accept it (while making up their own version which will be so batshit insane that it'll just further the rift). It'll finally be Democrats looking to literally change the Constitution (which has been perhaps the biggest boogeyman they've had throughout and is why they were so afraid of both Obama and Hilary).

There's not enough benefits in it for Democrats either so I don't see them looking to do that. I don't think they would even with a relatively radical liberal in the White House.

Only way that happens is if Americans literally stop any politics from happening at both federal and state levels and demand they do that. And I don't see that happening. Americans don't want to be involved in politics any more than posting about it on Facebook, and they damn sure aren't gonna be able to agree on Constitutional Amendments.

Biden may pick Stacey though. Biden is old, you know..... I bet she can kick some ass.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Yeah Biden isn't gonna do that. I doubt he'd support any of the stuff people have suggested (increasing the number of judges and then packing the courts).

I honestly don't think doing that will accomplish anything but hasten what seems to be the inevitable goal of right wingers: literal war. They'll view that as their only option then. You don't honestly think they'll take anything like that offered by Democrats in that manner, do you? (Do I need to cite the studies showing overwhelming support for the ACA policies until its called the ACA, or how even gun owners overwhelmingly agree there should be stricter gun regulations?) Republicans will claim its something else and so right wingers will refuse to accept it (while making up their own version which will be so batshit insane that it'll just further the rift). It'll finally be Democrats looking to literally change the Constitution (which has been perhaps the biggest boogeyman they've had throughout and is why they were so afraid of both Obama and Hilary).

There's not enough benefits in it for Democrats either so I don't see them looking to do that. I don't think they would even with a relatively radical liberal in the White House.

Only way that happens is if Americans literally stop any politics from happening at both federal and state levels and demand they do that. And I don't see that happening. Americans don't want to be involved in politics any more than posting about it on Facebook, and they damn sure aren't gonna be able to agree on Constitutional Amendments.
You may very well be right but in that case this way forward is the best anyway in my opinion. Democracy only works when both sides respect the rules and the republicans have decided they don’t anymore. That leaves the two alternatives of either continuing to pretend they do and lose slightly more slowly or actually try to win.

Reactions: DarthKyrie
Mar 11, 2004
You may very well be right but in that case this way forward is the best anyway in my opinion. Democracy only works when both sides respect the rules and the republicans have decided they don’t anymore. That leaves the two alternatives of either continuing to pretend they do and lose slightly more slowly or actually try to win.

If that's what you believe then you're no different from the Bern it Down Bros. There is no win there. Only losses.

That's my point. It won't accomplish anything because one side has resolutely decided to ignore it. They're treating the Constitution exactly like the Bible, declaring it The Word, but then demonstrably not actually following it themselves except when they want to deliberately mis-interpret it for their own personal gains.

I don't think there's any positive to come out of suggesting Constitutional Amendments right now, and I think that will do more to galvanize right wingers and radicals in general than just about anything. And it will make them adamant to Amend it themselves in the ways they want.

It would play right into the hands of people like Turmp and agitprop right wingers. And you won't win or lose slowly. You might even trigger that which you've been most fearful of.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
This should have probably gone to this thread. Trump is going to the SCOTUS to block Mueller investigation grand testimony from going to congress.

• Wow

NWRMidnight

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2001
This should have probably gone to this thread. Trump is going to the SCOTUS to block Mueller investigation grand testimony from going to congress.

He means he wants it blocked from going to the democrat controlled House, but is perfectly fine if the Republican Senate gets it. Just like all the documents he's not turning over to the House, but has no problem handing over to the Senate.

fleshconsumed

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2002
Want to bring this thread back up.

Professor Karlan warned us about this during the impeachment hearing:

Here's what Trump had to say about Nevada today:
1590000484135.png

And about Michigan
1590000443959.png

Vote the motherfucker out in November and every Republican that voted to acquit him.

Attachments

• 1590000349826.png
    1590000349826.png
    17.4 KB · Views: 9

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005

View attachment 21358

And about Michigan
View attachment 21357

Vote the motherfucker out in November and every Republican that voted to acquit him.
Trump is projecting again obviously. What shitty schemes are they cooking up already?

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
yeah, but you know what they say -- sometimes there ain`t nuttin better than a good and proper.......

Aegeon

Golden Member
Nov 2, 2004
I'll bet it's delayed again.
Actually this is extremely unlikely at this point because the publisher has committed to the date and shipped out a bunch of hardcopy versions of the book for distribution.

Even if the Trump administration managed to somehow get some court order blocking release at the very last minute, (this is close to impossible to manage with the US legal system and current case law) some copies held at bookstores at that point (they are shipped out and delivered in advance to ensure they are on the shelf for day one of the official release) would go "missing" and reporters would start quoting from them along with a pirated scanned version presumably getting wide distribution on the internet at that point...

Bolton is clearly not an impressive figure here given he waited to state these things on the record in a book rather than testify before Congress, but it still is helpful at some level to have what Bolton is stating publicly on the record in written form.

Aegeon

Golden Member
Nov 2, 2004
Trump threatening that all his conversations are highly classified.

The surprise at least to me is the White House simply waited too long for this to possibly be effective in preventing the information in the book from getting out and should have done this earlier if they were to attempt this legal long shot. Even if Trump administration gets a judge to blatantly ignore past ruling including the Supreme Court one on the Pentagon Papers, copies of the book will at a minimum already be in the mail to bookstores where as noted a few will go "missing" and a scanned version of the book will circulate the internet. Assuming they pursue this, Trump has essentially guaranteed that the information in the book will get more attention than it would have otherwise.

I have heard a couple lawyers speculate that once a pirated copy is circulating on the internet there is no longer a viable reason for the court to actually block publication (since the information is already effectively out at that point), so this stunt may solely succeed in boosting sales of the book as well and merely possible delay the start of sales a few days. I wonder if the lawyers involved know this is pointless and counterproductive (and probably at least made some effort to make this clear) but are doing this to appease Trump since he insisted.

Its worth noting that Trump perhaps unsurprisingly seriously undermined any actual effort to prosecute Bolton or the government seizing the profits from the book because Trump seems to be publicly admitting to a bad faith effort to try to abuse his classification authority as opposed to limiting it to valid national security grounds vs the public's right to know.

Last edited:

ReggieDunlap

Aug 25, 2009
Copied from a CNN article this morning...

"....There are also practical factors. Copies of "The Room Where It Happened" have already been printed and shipped to distribution sites. Reporters at ABC News have already read the book, since Martha Raddatz sat down with Bolton on Monday for an interview that will air Sunday night in a prime time special. Other reporters are likely to obtain the book in the next few days. So if the Trump admin or the Trump campaign tries to sue to block the release of the book, the suit would be rendered moot... ...."

This book is already out in the public domain. Reporters have received advanced copies and read them in prep for interviews with Bolton about the book. There is nothing to "STOP"

outriding

Diamond Member
Feb 20, 2002

View attachment 21358

And about Michigan
View attachment 21357

That dumbshit president.. i received my ballot the other day (in michigan) and it was sent from the SOS..

Just another lie