PSA: Please don't stereotype an entire group based on the actions of a few

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
People do tend to vote for those who make them promises everywhere

I saw that thread, I saw a lot of good people and a couple of people being assholes
I think it's pretty obvious Baasha just has not met a lot of the good ones, and see's a lot of bad ones on the TV youtube and even here

I enjoy hearing things from your perspective in India.
His point was that Muslims tend to vote for those who make them promises of capitulation to the Islamic faith, as opposed to other religions who tend to vote based on a variety of socioeconomic interests.

I have no idea if that is true in India, I'm just saying you're missing or misrepresenting his argument. But it's undeniable that Islam remains a complete system of religion, law and governance with a sizable population intent on forcing that system onto secular nations, unlike any other major religion.

Orignal Earl

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2005
His point was that Muslims tend to vote for those who make them promises of capitulation to the Islamic faith, as opposed to other religions who tend to vote based on a variety of socioeconomic interests.

I have no idea if that is true in India, I'm just saying you're missing or misrepresenting his argument. But it's undeniable that Islam remains a complete system of religion, law and governance with a sizable population intent on forcing that system onto secular nations, unlike any other major religion.

Was that his point?
That wouldn't surprise me, but I didn't get that from his post

Muslims around here wouldn't vote to go back under a system like that, most of them escaped that crap once already

These double standards for Muslims and secularism have caused a growing resentment among the majority Hindu community of india. The feeling of being persecuted in their own country has started to result in backlash.

inf!nity seems to be arguing against secularism here?

radhak

Aug 10, 2011
Why do you think indian politicians go to such extreme lengths to get Muslim vote? do you think anybody would've done this for Hindu/Sikh/Christian vote?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/indiahom...es-claims-rape-NOT-attract-death-penalty.html

http://www.ndtv.com/elections/artic...dia-azam-khan-s-comment-under-scrutiny-506323

So you are saying nobody has said such stupid stuff from the 'hindu' camp?

It is common knowledge in India that muslim organisations work to defeat BJP everytime, under the name of secularism.

So you are saying secularism is a bad thing? Come on, say it out aloud!

The only reason they failed this time was that people were angry with Congress and the popular vote consolidated behind Narendra Modi.

ftfy

Last edited:

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Was that his point?
That wouldn't surprise me, but I didn't get that from his post

Muslims around here wouldn't vote to go back under a system like that, most of them escaped that crap once already

inf!nity seems to be arguing against secularism here?
I don't want to put words in his mouth, but what I took from his tirade was not at all an argument against secularism, but rather against its misuse by and for Muslims. Change your traditional Hindu-based laws in the name of secularism, and adopt our Islamic traditions in the name of, um, secularism. Ergo the double standard, where keeping your Hindu traditions is not secular because they are Hindu and adopting our Islamic traditions is secular because they aren't Hindu.

Again, I don't have enough knowledge to fairly evaluate the situation, but the argument seemed well-presented and clear.

norseamd

Lifer
Dec 13, 2013

christianity?

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003

Californias do it when they move to Colorado, but Muslims won't do it (even though they have) when they move to other areas? :biggrin:

inf1nity

Golden Member
Mar 12, 2013

Yes that was my point. I'm not saying that Hindus don't vote on religious issues ever; its just that Muslims tend to do so more frequently, everytime to be precise. Whereas Hindus don't vote based on religion unless there has been a riot recently and they are scared. This is why every there happens cut-throat competition between every political party to show themselves as "saviours" of Muslims, so that they can get their votes en masse.

inf1nity

Golden Member
Mar 12, 2013
So you are saying nobody has said such stupid stuff from the 'hindu' camp?

I can't recall any. Care to enlighten me?

So you are saying secularism is a bad thing? Come on, say it out aloud!
No secularism isn't a bad thing. However being pro-muslim and then calling yourself secular is a bad thing.
Ask yourself this, why haven't the secular parties implemented a Uniform Civil Code in India till now?

Agreed, my bad.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
The problem is that most secularists are gutless appeasers who are going to bend to the will of the most powerful religion that comes their way. If we had some powerful, militant secularists in power around the world, we could make some real progress in dismantling worldwide religion. It's been a thousand years since the Kaaba has been destroyed, I bet a Tomahawk would make short work of it. "Remember those ancient buddhist statues you destroyed in Afghanistan? Karmic payback time."

MooseNSquirrel

Platinum Member
Feb 26, 2009
What?
Actions of a few? Try a million. Muslims always vote for those who pander to them. There are some exceptions, but they are few.

Your post sounds reasonable, but behind it lies seems to be an attempt to put Indian Muslims in negative light.

Are we seriously supposed to believe that only Muslims vote for politicians making promises?

inf1nity

Golden Member
Mar 12, 2013
Your post sounds reasonable, but behind it lies seems to be an attempt to put Indian Muslims in negative light.

Are we seriously supposed to believe that only Muslims vote for politicians making promises?

First of all, the purpose of this thread was not to bash anyone, i was just telling people to not base their opinions on Hindus by reading Baasha's posts.

Second, no. All groups vote for politicians making promises. However I am not talking about making promises. I am talking about misuse of secularism and being lenient on terrorists and Islamic extremists, and at the same time bashing any appeal by Hindus to be fair as bigotry.
Did you read the links i posted in the OP? In case you didn't, let me post them again.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mohd._Ahmed_Khan_v._Shah_Bano_Begum

Is it wrong for a woman to demand money from her husband if he kicks her and her kids out at the age of 62?

http://www.thehindu.com/news/nation...ses-against-muslim-leaders/article5541685.ece

Is it okay to withdraw cases against people giving hate speech, just because they happen to be Muslim?

http://indiatoday.intoday.in/story/...ngladeshis-says-mamata-banerjee/1/359371.html

is it okay to support illegal immigration, just because the immigrants happen to be Muslim?

cabri

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 2012
http://news.yahoo.com/indian-teen-girls-gang-raped-hanged-tree-police-130442304.html

NEW DELHI (Thomson Reuters Foundation) - Indian police have arrested one man and are looking for four other suspects after two teenage girls were gang-raped and then hanged from a tree in a village in the northern state of Uttar Pradesh, police said on Thursday

It was only after angry villagers found the hanging corpses and took the bodies to a nearby highway and blocked it in protest, say the families, that police registered a case of rape and murder.

A case of conspiracy has also been registered against two constables, said Chouhan, adding that they had also been suspended.

Sex crimes against young girls and women are widespread in India, say activists, adding that females from poor, marginalized, low-caste communities are often the victims.

Women's rights experts and lawyers say rape victims also have to endure harsh treatment from an archaic, poorly funded and insensitive criminal justice system.

Police often try to dissuade victims from complaining and suggest a "compromise" between the victim and the perpetrator, largely because of their insensitivity to sex crimes, but also because police officials are rarely held accountable.

There seems to be a serious attitude adjustment required from the top down before India can be considered making progress

inf1nity

Golden Member
Mar 12, 2013
^ why the hell are you posting this news in this thread? Make a thread for it.