PSA - Comcast users - Data Cap

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DarthKyrie

Golden Member
Jul 11, 2016
I'm glad I was able to dump Comcast 4 years ago when TDS built their Fiber network here in NH. I'm happy paying them $35 plus taxes and fees a month for 300 Mbps a month.

I don't know if FIOS is available in my Eastern MA area, but at least I have a choice for cable internet. RCN >>> Comcast

I had RCN when I lived in Framingham back in 2007 and they were pretty good then.

zzyzxroad

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2017
I'm glad I was able to dump Comcast 4 years ago when TDS built their Fiber network here in NH. I'm happy paying them $35 plus taxes and fees a month for 300 Mbps a month.

I had RCN when I lived in Framingham back in 2007 and they were pretty good then.

That is a great price. I pay over $100 for a slightly slower speed through Charter/Spectrum. My only other option here is Frontier which have tried and hated.

DarthKyrie

Golden Member
Jul 11, 2016
That is a great price. I pay over $100 for a slightly slower speed through Charter/Spectrum. My only other option here is Frontier which have tried and hated.

I thought so too, it saved me $15 a month compared to Comcrap.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
Frontier is essentially the least ethical company ever in an industry full of them. Their requirement to pay for a modem from them even if you provided your own was just nuts. Then the prolonged how long they could do it by blaming Covid for preventing them from updating their billing system to end the fee.

zzyzxroad

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2017
Frontier is essentially the least ethical company ever in an industry full of them. Their requirement to pay for a modem from them even if you provided your own was just nuts. Then the prolonged how long they could do it by blaming Covid for preventing them from updating their billing system to end the fee.
Frontier is the absolute worst. I am happy with Spectrum but out of curiosity I just checked and the plan I am on now is 400Mbps and they now has a 940Mbps. Of course once I am logged in they make it impossible to see that I have to check as if I were moving into my address. I chatted with a sale person and the increase per month is modest and I expense my internet anyway. The kicker is they want $199.99 one time fee to switch me to the new package.

Overall though Spectrum has been a good experience.

• Wow
Reactions: DarthKyrie

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Where I live, it went from Frontier, to Charter, to Wave. Still no competition out in the sticks except useless Hughs sat crap, pathetic high speed DSL, and 4G. Cable TV also has Dish, Direct, and Odyssey as competition, but I live in a Root TV baseball monopoly BS area. Don't understand why there are no non cell based wireless options.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
Ugh, I'm so jealous. (TDS?) Verizon stopped just short of Manchester - literally, all southern border towns have fiber. Comcast was $85 for 100Mb last I checked. We plan on cutting the cable this winter - I just hope I can get 200Mb for $85, so it's not a total ripoff.

Data caps are okay for just the wife and I, we're about 40% of max most months. Must be a drag for a family of 5.

DarthKyrie

Golden Member
Jul 11, 2016
Ugh, I'm so jealous. (TDS?) Verizon stopped just short of Manchester - literally, all southern border towns have fiber. Comcast was $85 for 100Mb last I checked. We plan on cutting the cable this winter - I just hope I can get 200Mb for $85, so it's not a total ripoff.

Data caps are okay for just the wife and I, we're about 40% of max most months. Must be a drag for a family of 5.

TDS Telecom is based out of Milwaukee, they provide copper wire telephone and fiber services. They provide the services for the old Contoocook Valley Telephone towns.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
First of all, fuck Comcast. Second, I just found out today that you can sign up for their stupid Xfi Complete package for unlimited monthly data. That package is $25 if you use their shitty modem/router combo that allows people to mooch your wifi. It's $30/month if you use your own hardware.

I just confirmed with them that you can sign up for the $25/month unlimited plan and just keep the equipment in a box in the basement. That way, you can have the wifi experience you want and unlimited data for $25/month.

Fuck them again.

Use their shitty modem, but put it in a Faraday cage.

Feb 4, 2009
oh I understand it sucks, but if you don't have a choice, there are means to fight back :p

I am on 300/20 unlimited shrug.

I’m torn on those public WiFi hotspot things from Comcast. The idea is great, I don’t trust Comcast not to fuck it up & I would like some benefit to me for operating the equipment $5 per month off the rate is the absolute minimum I’d consider.
I’d probably take it and put it in the basement under a metal bucket then install a proper WiFi point somewhere normal.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
I was suspecting parts of America was undeveloped... *shrugs* 1G up/down unlimited for ~60 us monies/month... something like that. (fiber).
What about starlink? Is it gonna be an option?

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
ATT does. Even worse than Comcast.

A key factor in buying our next house will be what providers are available. We currently use 3-4TB per month.

ATT has caps for 100 and 300 but does not for 1gb. I have had unlimited 1gb for six years now.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I'm fortunately enough to have quite a bit of choice in my area overall. In most areas, you'll likely have access to Comcast and WOW!... maybe even AT&T Fiber if you're lucky. We also have Google Fiber now, which is what I'm using. I had previously switched from Comcast to WOW!, which wasn't bad. However, WOW! is kind of expensive ($110 for 500/50) even though they have no caps. Now, I pay $70 for 1000/1000 (actual about 920/950), and Google Fiber has no data caps.

Although, if we take a look at the new consoles, we can see how bad things could get. The new Call of Duty is 130GB, which is over 10% of the cap, and it's an even larger download on PC. (It got so bad that Activision now allows you to get the game in a piecemeal fashion.)

Reactions: ch33zw1z

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
Although, if we take a look at the new consoles, we can see how bad things could get. The new Call of Duty is 130GB, which is over 10% of the cap, and it's an even larger download on PC. (It got so bad that Activision now allows you to get the game in a piecemeal fashion.)

Not to mention 4k game steaming. Adds up quickly.

zzyzxroad

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2017
It's a gateway, so wants to be the router as well. It's just bullshit
Faraday cage + Ubiquiti Wireless Access Point? I have never used a Ubiquiti product but I have heard good things. At some point need to do something to get better reception in the back yard and garage.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
I was suspecting parts of America was undeveloped... *shrugs* 1G up/down unlimited for ~60 us monies/month... something like that. (fiber).
Well, we had this great idea...

You want to install cables for TV? Okay, whatever, you can attach them to telephone poles, but you pay to install them and you own them and must maintain them.
Cable operators heard "WE own them FOREVER!". Later on..."Hmm, we can use Internet fees to SUBSIDIZE our TV packages! Win!"

The appropriate monies changed hands at the local/state/federal level and all is well :rolleyes:.

DarthKyrie

Golden Member
Jul 11, 2016

In a lot of ways, the infrastructure of the United States is 3rd world standards of bad and continuing to become outdated and further run down due to continued use without thoughts of replacement.

When it comes to fiber availability there are communities that are trying to provide it to their people and are being fought tooth and nail in the courts by the cable companies to block it. It's fucked up that we allow companies to sue our cities and towns when those cities and towns are trying to provide a service that the supposedly "free" market isn't providing.

Reactions: Ajay

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
We have two choices, Comcast or Frontier fios. The fios sucks, and the connection would drop all the time. With two people working from home, two kids doing school, and streaming we were blowing past the 1.2 cap. So I had to get unlimited which was $25 more, so now I'm paying $118 for 600 mbps with comcrap.

Can't wait for my city's gigabit for $50/mo to rollout. I'll kick them to the curb so goddamn fast.

zzyzxroad

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2017
We have two choices, Comcast or Frontier fios. The fios sucks, and the connection would drop all the time. With two people working from home, two kids doing school, and streaming we were blowing past the 1.2 cap. So I had to get unlimited which was $25 more, so now I'm paying $118 for 600 mbps with comcrap.

Can't wait for my city's gigabit for $50/mo to rollout. I'll kick them to the curb so goddamn fast.
I initially had Verizon FIOS and it worked really well. Then Verizon pulled out of my market and left me with Frontier my connection became horrid. Frontier is the worst ISP I have ever worked with. Some how they were worse than Atlantic Broadband.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
In a lot of ways, the infrastructure of the United States is 3rd world standards of bad and continuing to become outdated and further run down due to continued use without thoughts of replacement.

When it comes to fiber availability there are communities that are trying to provide it to their people and are being fought tooth and nail in the courts by the cable companies to block it. It's fucked up that we allow companies to sue our cities and towns when those cities and towns are trying to provide a service that the supposedly "free" market isn't providing.
Of course. Cable is how Fox is crammed down peoples throats right? May it be that this situation is as much about controlling the "news" as it is "business" ?

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
For the best prices you have to churn your account. We swap off, one your or two it is in my name for billing then I cancel on the day my wife has her new install.
As I said cable companies too all the shitty practices of late 90s wireless carriers. Play their stupid shitty games an teach them a lesson.
I am fine with the minimal inconvenience of cancelling then reactivating in a new billing name every year or two to save $10 per month plus get a gift card or free Disney plus for a year. New subscriber bonuses are typically a couple hundred dollars. Fuck you fios, play stupid games win stupid prizes.

It's what I do. Although coming up on time again and I got DVR content to finish up on...