PSA: Bear Grylls is harder than Les Stroud

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
Originally posted by: dainthomas
Originally posted by: Ns1
Originally posted by: Anubis
Originally posted by: Throckmorton
Bear fakes his show...

and les has a fing "safty team" that is always near by, bear has a film crew.... same fruit different variety

What was his "safety team" doing while he was being stalked by that jaguar? Those guys are miles away. They also don't run to the store to get food for him or help him build rafts and shelters.

building a raft or shelter =/= hard ;)

I mean do you seriously think that Bear can't build a shelter? After the x-teenth shelter WTF is the point. I'd rather see the man do something stupid. Like jump into quicksand. Or zero degree water.

You enjoy it because it's entertaining. If I want to watch someone doing something stupid I'll watch Fear Factor or Jackass. If I want to see how NOT to be stupid in the wilderness, I'll watch Survivorman.

I somewhat disagree with your details, but if you're referring to straight survival then yes, Les is a better guide.

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
i saw that show on TV
he was scared, you could tell he wasn't sure it was a good idea to try it

not to take anything away from the feat

umbrella39

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
Bear fakes his show...

and les has a fing "safty team" that is always near by, bear has a film crew.... same fruit different variety

What was his "safety team" doing while he was being stalked by that jaguar? Those guys are miles away. They also don't run to the store to get food for him or help him build rafts and shelters.

I mean do you seriously think that Bear can't build a shelter? After the x-teenth shelter WTF is the point. I'd rather see the man do something stupid. Like jump into quicksand. Or zero degree water.

You enjoy it because it's entertaining. If I want to watch someone doing something stupid I'll watch Fear Factor or Jackass. If I want to see how NOT to be stupid in the wilderness, I'll watch Survivorman.

Indeed. Let's not forget that Les has to film every freaking shot you see on the show. So when you see him going down a river in a canoe from the shoreline, it is because he stopped, got the gear out, set it up, rolled filmed, walked back up stream, floated past to get the shot, stops, goes back to get cameras, and continues. Let's see Mr. G do that and worry about his next meal, fire, and shelter for the night. There is no comparing the two shows imo. One is pure entertainment and the other is reality. One guy carries all his stuff on his back, the other has a crew doing it and filming it for him. It's like comparing the UFC to the WWE. I am not saying that Bear couldn't do all those things, I am sure he could. But the fact remains he isn't doing those things on his show and until he does, Les is imo the harder of the two.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
Originally posted by: umbrella39
Bear fakes his show...

Indeed. Let's not forget that Les has to film every freaking shot you see on the show. So when you see him going down a river in a canoe from the shoreline, it is because he stopped, got the gear out, set it up, rolled filmed, walked back up stream, floated past to get the shot, stops, goes back to get cameras, and continues. Let's see Mr. G do that and worry about his next meal, fire, and shelter for the night. There is no comparing the two shows imo. One is pure entertainment and the other is reality. One guy carries all his stuff on his back, the other has a crew doing it and filming it for him. It's like comparing the UFC to the WWE. I am not saying that Bear couldn't do all those things, I am sure he could. But the fact remains he isn't doing those things on his show and until he does, Les is imo the harder of the two.

eh. The alternative argument is taht since bear DOES have all those things, he has the time to do all the ridiculous shit that he does. I mean when you factor in that Les DOES have to come back to pick up all his shit, that cuts out like half the day.

Besides, taking OUT the show, bear flew up 30k feet, with a freaking parachute thing and a giant motor/propeller strapped to his back. -

bear > les ;)

BeauJangles

Lifer
Aug 26, 2001
I don't understand why people insist on comparing these two guys. One of them is a survivalist. The other is a guy who just finds ridiculously dangerous / cool things to do and films himself doing them.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
Originally posted by: BlinderBomber
I don't understand why people insist on comparing these two guys. One of them is a survivalist. The other is a guy who just finds ridiculously dangerous / cool things to do and films himself doing them.

Because it's more fun to debate vs "will the plane fly?"

Aug 23, 2000
Bear fakes his show...

When I see survivor man squeeze water out of elephant shit, or scoop out the contents of a dead camels stomach and drink it then I'll say he is harder than Bear.

zig3695

Golden Member
Feb 15, 2007
les stroud is a boarderline pussy. bear grylls RULES! british special forces! muhahaha

zig3695

Golden Member
Feb 15, 2007

exactly my point. les is an idiot, the show would be 10x better if he could just do the show without complainin about the stupid cameras the whole time

and les is reality until he fails every other show and has to call for help early.

Nov 3, 2004
Bear fakes his show...

well that's just stupid. The production is just annoying and bad and it's a waste of time for Les Stroud if only to prove a point that he's alone. I honestly couldn't give a shit.

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
meh. If he was hard he would have landed/dropped on the top and walked back down.

Farang

Lifer
Jul 7, 2003
He also did Foreign Legion bootcamp and it didn't seem to phase him at all, he had to motivate all of these other ex-Marine guys to not quit. His show isn't as good though because it is fake, with planted snakes and insects and whatnot.

randay

Lifer
May 30, 2006
fake? theres nothing fake about squeezing water out of elephant poop. if i were ever stuck on a deserted island with bear, theres no doubt in my mind that he would kill me, gut me, fill his cantina with my blood, and then swim back to civilization.