PSA: Bear Grylls is harder than Les Stroud

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
Text

I watched this yesterday and could not believe he would actually try this shit.

A British Everest summiteer has become the first man to fly higher than the top of the world in a powered paraglider.

Bear Grylls, who at the age of 23 became the youngest British climber to scale Mount Everest in 1998, achieved a feat that had been deemed impossible by many critics prior to the mission.

On 14 May 2007, Grylls and his fellow pilot and inventor of the parajet engine, Giles Cardozo, took off from the small Himalayan village of Pheriche, which lies at an altitude of 4,400m (14,435ft) about 20 miles (32km) south of Mount Everest in eastern Nepal.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
Originally posted by: Anubis
thats pretty god damn crazy

WTB video

They played it last night on Discovery, not sure if it's on regular rotation? F'n ridiculous.

Does that mean we somewhat agree on two things? It must be a sign of the apocalypse

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
He should have landed on the summit and proceeded to mock all the suckers who spent weeks climbing it. THAT would be hard!

That said, Les Stroud is much more badass.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
Originally posted by: dainthomas
He should have landed on the summit and proceeded to mock all the suckers who spent weeks climbing it. THAT would be hard!

Les Stroud has not done anything badass. Ever. But yet I still watch his show...

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
Originally posted by: Ns1

WTB video

They played it last night on Discovery, not sure if it's on regular rotation? F'n ridiculous.

Does that mean we somewhat agree on two things? It must be a sign of the apocalypse

we allready agree that NY > Chitown in Pizza style

did you forget that allready? it was like 2 days ago, looks like that tie is cutting off the bloodflow to your head :p

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001

WTB video

we allready agree that NY > Chitown in Pizza style

did you forget that allready? it was like 2 days ago, looks like that tie is cutting off the bloodflow to your head :p

That's 1, this must be two =P

zoiks

Lifer
Jan 13, 2000
I saw that on Discovery a few months back. I have to hand it to him, he does have guts.

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004

Les Stroud has not done anything badass. Ever. But yet I still watch his show...

As a survivalist he is definitely more badass. There is no evidence that Bear could survive ten minutes without flunkies to buy rabbits for him.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
He served, part-time, for 3 years in 21 SAS, a reserve regiment of the Territorial Army referred to as the "SAS(R)" or "Artists Rifles". During his time with the regiment, Grylls served in North Africa twice. His military career ended abruptly, however, in 1996, when a routine parachute exercise in southern Africa went wrong. His canopy ripped and caused him to spiral towards earth from 1,600 feet (500 m), leaving him with three broken vertebrae (t8, t10 and t12) and left him struggling to feel his legs.[1] Grylls spent the next 12 months in rehabilitation and, with his military career over, directed his efforts into trying to get well enough to fulfill his childhood dream of climbing Everest.

Or...

fter graduating from Mimico High School in 1980,[3] Stroud went on to complete the Music Industry Arts program at Fanshawe College in London, Ontario.[4] Stroud worked for several years at the Toronto-based music video channel MuchMusic, and as a songwriter for his band New Regime before a Temagami canoe trip sparked a career change.[1] In 1987 Stroud became a guide for Black Feather Wilderness Adventures leading canoe excursions into the northern Ontario wilds. It was during this time on a survival course he met his wife, photographer Sue Jamison.[2] They married in 1994 and together left for a year-long honeymoon in the remote Wabakimi area of Ontario which was to become the basis of the documentary Snowshoes and Solitude. Afterwards, the couple moved to Yellowknife in the North West Territories where Stroud was employed as an outdoor instructor to special needs individuals of aboriginal descent.

Les Stroud might be a survivalist, but Bear Grylls would eat that mother fucker alive.

tfcmasta97

Platinum Member
Feb 7, 2004
If he was the one who drank his own piss, and drank water from squeezing out elephant shit into his mouth, then i agree

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
Originally posted by: Throckmorton
Bear fakes his show...

You can't fake Text

Seriously though, I see your point about Les Stroud being a better "survivor", but Les Stroud doesn't do SHIT on his show. I don't give a fuck if Bear sleeps in a hotel room at night, cuz during the day that guy is a crazy mofo.

Aug 23, 2000
Bear fakes his show...

The show in no way tries to insinuate that he is on his own. The camera man walks with him and he gets into situations to show you how to get out of them.

Lets not forget, Survivorman has a rescue team waiting on him.

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
Bear fakes his show...

and les has a fing "safty team" that is always near by, bear has a film crew.... same fruit different variety

What was his "safety team" doing while he was being stalked by that jaguar? Those guys are miles away. They also don't run to the store to get food for him or help him build rafts and shelters.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
Bear fakes his show...

and les has a fing "safty team" that is always near by, bear has a film crew.... same fruit different variety

What was his "safety team" doing while he was being stalked by that jaguar? Those guys are miles away. They also don't run to the store to get food for him or help him build rafts and shelters.

building a raft or shelter =/= hard ;)

I mean do you seriously think that Bear can't build a shelter? After the x-teenth shelter WTF is the point. I'd rather see the man do something stupid. Like jump into quicksand. Or zero degree water.

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
Bear fakes his show...

building a raft or shelter =/= hard ;)

I mean do you seriously think that Bear can't build a shelter? After the x-teenth shelter WTF is the point. I'd rather see the man do something stupid. Like jump into quicksand. Or zero degree water.

You enjoy it because it's entertaining. If I want to watch someone doing something stupid I'll watch Fear Factor or Jackass. If I want to see how NOT to be stupid in the wilderness, I'll watch Survivorman.