PS3 kicks off most successful home console launch in UK.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

andylawcc

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
Originally posted by: 50cent1228
MCV confirms the news that will send many a fanboy into a sequence of uncontrollable convulsions: The Playstation 3 has officially become the fastest-selling home console in the UK over its launch weekend. A reported 165,000 PS3 units were snatched from shelves, besting the Wii's 105,000 launch units and the Xbox 360's 70,000. The PSP still holds the top speed record (185,000 units) as a handheld, but we doubt that's the sort of caveat that will bother the folks at Sony.

With plenty of consoles left in the 220,000 strong initial shipment, it would appear that a strong supply is the key to launch victory. Will sales remain brisk in the foreseeable future? We'll find out soon enough, but until then, expect some elaborately spun responses from Sony's competitors. Perhaps UK journalists ought to return those stacks of beer to Microsoft -- then again, alcohol already seems a likely explanation for steering the Xboat to the wrong continent....from joystiq

i sense propaganda.

AUMM

Diamond Member
Mar 13, 2001
i heard on the radio today that lot of people that waited in line recieved a free sony hd tv as well?

KarmaPolice

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
i'll believe it when i see the official numbers from a very credible source...

I want sony to succeed...we dont ever want it to end up just xbox vs nintendo.

yowolabi

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2001
MCV confirms the news that will send many a fanboy into a sequence of uncontrollable convulsions: The Playstation 3 has officially become the fastest-selling home console in the UK over its launch weekend. A reported 165,000 PS3 units were snatched from shelves, besting the Wii's 105,000 launch units and the Xbox 360's 70,000. The PSP still holds the top speed record (185,000 units) as a handheld, but we doubt that's the sort of caveat that will bother the folks at Sony.

With plenty of consoles left in the 220,000 strong initial shipment, it would appear that a strong supply is the key to launch victory. Will sales remain brisk in the foreseeable future? We'll find out soon enough, but until then, expect some elaborately spun responses from Sony's competitors. Perhaps UK journalists ought to return those stacks of beer to Microsoft -- then again, alcohol already seems a likely explanation for steering the Xboat to the wrong continent....from joystiq

This is a pretty crappy comparison. The 360 and wii had worldwide launches and sold out over the opening weekend. The PS3 is launching later in Europe, so there's a lot more stock. They sell more systems but they don't sell out.

I don't know how anyone can call that a ps3 victory. You have to assume that if the 360 and wii had more stock they would have sold more too.

BigJ

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
Originally posted by: yowolabi

This is a pretty crappy comparison. The 360 and wii had worldwide launches and sold out over the opening weekend. The PS3 is launching later in Europe, so there's a lot more stock. They sell more systems but they don't sell out.

I don't know how anyone can call that a ps3 victory. You have to assume that if the 360 and wii had more stock they would have sold more too.

A few things:

The 360 and Wii launches were staggered.

For the 360:
United States November 22, 2005
European Union December 2, 2005
Japan December 10, 2005

For the Wii:
North America November 19, 2006
Japan December 2, 2006
Europe December 8, 2006

As far as the 360 goes, they could've had 10 million consoles available for their launch in Japan. It still would've sold like crap.

It's a victory in the sense that honestly, the PS3 sales have been abysmal. Couple that with it being even more expensive in the UK than here or in Japan, and I would've thought that sales would be more like they were elsewhere in Europe (where it looks like sales were terrible).

DivideBYZero

Lifer
May 18, 2001
Er, what ARE they on about? I heard from an employee of a store just around the corner from me that has MUCHOS PS3's that they sold 4, yes FOUR, outside the pre-order units over the first weekend.

The Wii sold less mostly due to supply constraint, not because there were no people wanting to buy it.

<--UK based gamer.

FOUR.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: KarmaPolice
i'll believe it when i see the official numbers from a very credible source...

I want sony to succeed...we dont ever want it to end up just xbox vs nintendo.

Why? Looking back through the history of video games, there have always been just two dominant players each generation. 3 competitors means 3 systems you have to buy if you want to play all of the best games.

Originally posted by: BigJ

By 2 weeks, not 6 months. :laugh:

BigJ

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
Originally posted by: mugs

Considering I provided the launch dates, I thought it would be fairly obvious in the difference between the three console launches.

DivideBYZero

Lifer
May 18, 2001
I was out in Oslo tonight and a guy was buying a PS3 over the counter in an EB games store. Now considering this is second day of the first full week and you can just buy one over the counter, in NORWAY, I'm guessing they are not exactly flying off the shelves.

BD2003

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: KillyKillall
I like how when you post a PS3 sucks thread or should I get a PS3 thread there are like 200 replies about how it sucks.

When you post this..you get 11 replies in 24 hours.

Because this is spin and propaganda. 360 and Wii sold every unit available, PS3 didnt quite do so. 360 and Wii also came out at essentially the same time worldwide, PS3 is dropping several months later, so it shouldnt be surprising that they could supply more units. A more fitting title would be "Sony supplied most consoles ever in a non-worldwide launch".

Which is commendable and all, but it's really not indicative of the PS3s popularity, since it can't really be compared to other launches apples to apples.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003

Considering I provided the launch dates, I thought it would be fairly obvious in the difference between the three console launches.

You'd also think it'd be obvious that the fact that they were staggered does nothing to detract from yowolabi's point - that is that the Wii and 360 could have sold more if there were more units available for purchase, and there weren't more units available for purchase because the 360 and Wii launched worldwide in a short period of time. Since that seemed to be what you were trying to refute with the response about staggered launches, I felt it necessary to point out the obvious. If you were going somewhere else with that comment, feel free to enlighten me. :)

Now, I don't know if it is true that the 360 sold out in Europe. Seems like a fair bet that the Wii did considering that its popularity.

BigJ

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
Originally posted by: DivideBYZero
I was out in Oslo tonight and a guy was buying a PS3 over the counter in an EB games store. Now considering this is second day of the first full week and you can just buy one over the counter, in NORWAY, I'm guessing they are not exactly flying off the shelves.

I believe the launch was absolutely terrible outside of the UK, and while the UK launch isn't outstanding, it's at least getting the system off the ground.

I doubt sales are going to pick up until the console is more than just a glorified Blu-Ray player. The game line-up is terrible with mediocre online play compared to the 360, and the Wii is a fun system to play but also temporarily suffering from a relatively poor game library (compared to the 360).

Once Home comes out and some exclusives start hitting the streets, and if Microsoft actually releases the Elite at $480 (which I personally think is an absolutely terrible business move and will send sales towards the PS3), then maybe we'll see the PS3 as competitive in terms of #s.

BigJ

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001

You'd also think it'd be obvious that the fact that they were staggered does nothing to detract from yowolabi's point - that is that the Wii and 360 could have sold more if there were more units available for purchase, and there weren't more units available for purchase because the 360 and Wii launched worldwide in a short period of time. Since that seemed to be what you were trying to refute with the response about staggered launches, I felt it necessary to point out the obvious. If you were going somewhere else with that comment, feel free to enlighten me. :)

Now, I don't know if it is true that the 360 sold out in Europe. Seems like a fair bet that the Wii did considering that its popularity.

All I was saying with the comment is it wasn't a true simultaneous release. That's it.

If we want to get into it, we can say that based on XBox (first generation) sales in the past, Microsoft knew the console was going to bomb in Japan and ramp up production for their EU and and US markets.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
600,000 sold in Europe so far according to the BBC, a bit more credible than a site devoted to PS3-bashing.

The reason why there are piles of them everywhere is that they shipped 1 million to Europe, so there are 400,00 unsold.

(ArsTechnica provided the BBC link)

The 360 fanboys will seize on the 400,000 unsold number of course, and try not to think about the 600,000 sold.

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
Pffft, the only reason why people are xbox 360 fanboys are because they bought that console first so they are invested in it. I bet it pisses them off when they hear about all the failure problems of the xbox while the ps3 runs cooler and quieter and doesn't need to be replaced every 6 months. Morons.

BD2003

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Phokus
Pffft, the only reason why people are xbox 360 fanboys are because they bought that console first so they are invested in it. I bet it pisses them off when they hear about all the failure problems of the xbox while the ps3 runs cooler and quieter and doesn't need to be replaced every 6 months. Morons.

The ps3 hasnt even been out for 6 months, although it is looking quite a bit better than the trash that MS has been manufacturing, but I wouldnt draw any conclusions just yet.

I personally think the 360 has the crappiest software library in the history of any system, besides from the PS3, which is even worse at the moment.

People are 360 fanboys because theres a lot to like about it right now, even if I dont see it. Theres a lot of potential in the PS3, but until it delivers on games, the best entertainment to come from the PS3 is to read the executive doubletalk, spin, and outright bullshit, and just have a general good time ragging on it.