Protests in Spain about refugees

Nov 25, 2013
better shot than the one in the linked article

barcelona.jpg

HamburgerBoy

Lifer
Apr 12, 2004
Yeah what heartless bastards the rest of those Spaniards, how do they not see that increasing unemployment to maybe 25% is exactly what the country needs?

Worthless nation, more or less always has been.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
Yeah what heartless bastards the rest of those Spaniards, how do they not see that increasing unemployment to maybe 25% is exactly what the country needs?

Worthless nation, more or less always has been.

I'm morbidly curious to know what justification you have for any of those statements.

HamburgerBoy

Lifer
Apr 12, 2004
I'm morbidly curious to know what justification you have for any of those statements.

That 25% figure was not literal, but the point is that those refugees will almost certainly be unemployed. In countries with half the unemployment of Spain, refugees have a majority unemployment rate for their first five years.

Spain discovered the New World and that's about it. One-hit wonder. They were made Islam's bitch for a good while, had a brief golden age the highlight of which was raping and killing indigenous people (largely with disease), then proceeded bleed land from the Netherlands, France, their own colonies, and finally the USA over a few hundred years. Their colonies were poorly governed and they weren't capable of holding onto them nearly as well as other nations, though today they're increasingly approaching overtaking daddy if they ever get their shit in order. Franco was one of the most low-energy fascists in existence and only survived because we propped him up, just sad. Perpetual economic decline ever since they've tried and failed at stable democracy. Eastern Europe will soon overtake them as well. Compared to nearly any other significant European nation, they've had a pathetic record in science and engineering. While viewed as a romantic nation, even in the arts they pale relative to France, Italy, and Germany. Likely a very low IQ population. The ancient Iberians were in some respects more interesting than post-Islamic Spanish (and in all likelihood still relied on the Greeks). As an Englishman I'm sure you enjoy taking holiday there, however, so don't take anything I say too personally. They do have a wonderful climate and attractive people, apparently. If there's one nation in existence that deserves to have its population displaced, m and its land used by people more deserving, it's Spain.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
I was more interested in how protesting and unemployment and heartlessness might be linked (though your idea of what makes a nation of people 'worthless' was relevant). I do wonder whether many Americans have this idea that only jobless layabouts (possibly with a penchant for violence) bother to protest. If true, it makes you a lot easier to control.

HamburgerBoy

Lifer
Apr 12, 2004
Where did I make that claim? I mean, it sounds reasonable enough on the face of things, but that wasn't my original point at all. I'm just saying that the idea of a destitute failing nation begging for even more unemployed, social service draining bodies is hilarious. And I never said anything about violence, as far as I can tell these are nice, happy, albeit useless, Spanish protestors.

HamburgerBoy

Lifer
Apr 12, 2004
I'm saying they're increasing unemployment by bringing in more people to their countries that are destined to also be largely unemployed, which should have been really obvious in the first sentence of my second post.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
I'm saying they're increasing unemployment by bringing in more people to their countries that are destined to also be largely unemployed, which should have been really obvious in the first sentence of my second post.

Stats have regularly shown that immigrants are more likely to end up in employment than natives. If anything it's likely to apply even more to refugees since they weren't fleeing for just work: We're talking about people who likely were already gainfully employed and now no longer have any of the usual restrictions that reduce employment prospects (e.g. "my family is rooted to a particular place, I can't uproot many miles away because our kids go to such-and-such school").

Unfortunately in some places (Lebanon IIRC), the state has decreed that refugees aren't allowed to work, which is mind-boggling.

flexy

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2001
I live in Spain for 8 years now and TBH am VERY happy doing so, a lot of stereotypes we "Northerners" had about Spain I simply cannot confirm, at all.

Among those ideas we had about Spain is things how unreliable everything is, mail etc, how lazy they are, you cannot drink the water etc. Cannot confirm any of this at least in the area we live in.

HOWEVER, I sort-of want to agree with that "some things" in Spain are just weird...don't get me started with the stupid Siesta which happens EVERY DAY ALL YEAR LONG...something which is supposed to be sort-of a rest in the heat of the day....I could understand it in Summer, but not every day including winter. It simply doesn't make sense to literally shut down everything from 2pm to 5:30pm every day..and then complain about the economy. It's absurd.

Right now, just for entertainment...and I mean *right now* literally, this very minute, there is some "sporting event" going on outside. And as is the case with any type of holiday, fiesta, etc....they're firing off firecrackers...AND church bells ringing ad nauseam. (We're living right behind a church). The logic why churchbells have to ring full-blast for a fucking sports (!!) event, bike-race kind of thing...eludes me :)

Last edited:
Reactions: FelixDeCat

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
I live in Spain for 8 years now and TBH am VERY happy doing so, a lot of stereotypes we "Northerners" had about Spain I simply cannot confirm, at all.

Among those ideas we had about Spain is things how unreliable everything is, mail etc, how lazy they are, you cannot drink the water etc. Cannot confirm any of this at least in the area we live in.

Having spent some time in Spain recently I agree with the above. It's high on my list of places to retire. Seriously considering a home in the south and possibly citizenship .

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000

HOWEVER, I sort-of want to agree with that "some things" in Spain are just weird...don't get me started with the stupid Siesta which happens EVERY DAY ALL YEAR LONG...something which is supposed to be sort-of a rest in the heat of the day....I could understand it in Summer, but not every day including winter. It simply doesn't make sense to literally shut down everything from 2pm to 5:30pm every day..and then complain about the economy. It's absurd.

Right now, just for entertainment...and I mean *right now* literally, this very minute, there is some "sporting event" going on outside. And as is the case with any type of holiday, fiesta, etc....they're firing off firecrackers...AND church bells ringing ad nauseam. (We're living right behind a church). The logic why churchbells have to ring full-blast for a fucking sports (!!) event, bike-race kind of thing...eludes me :)

I like first hand accounts like this. Thanks for posting! I know I could use a siesta here in the USA!

Oric

Oct 11, 1999
Spanish protest for more immigrants..

Who has a problem with immigrants ? --> USA
Which country sends the majority of immigrants to USA --> Mexico

Is there a connection of Mexicans with the Spanish ? YES !

Mystery solved

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
That 25% figure was not literal, but the point is that those refugees will almost certainly be unemployed. In countries with half the unemployment of Spain, refugees have a majority unemployment rate for their first five years.

Spain discovered the New World and that's about it. One-hit wonder. They were made Islam's bitch for a good while, had a brief golden age the highlight of which was raping and killing indigenous people (largely with disease), then proceeded bleed land from the Netherlands, France, their own colonies, and finally the USA over a few hundred years. Their colonies were poorly governed and they weren't capable of holding onto them nearly as well as other nations, though today they're increasingly approaching overtaking daddy if they ever get their shit in order. Franco was one of the most low-energy fascists in existence and only survived because we propped him up, just sad. Perpetual economic decline ever since they've tried and failed at stable democracy. Eastern Europe will soon overtake them as well. Compared to nearly any other significant European nation, they've had a pathetic record in science and engineering. While viewed as a romantic nation, even in the arts they pale relative to France, Italy, and Germany. Likely a very low IQ population. The ancient Iberians were in some respects more interesting than post-Islamic Spanish (and in all likelihood still relied on the Greeks). As an Englishman I'm sure you enjoy taking holiday there, however, so don't take anything I say too personally. They do have a wonderful climate and attractive people, apparently. If there's one nation in existence that deserves to have its population displaced, m and its land used by people more deserving, it's Spain.

Yeah, but that seafood.

Can't blame the Catalons, can we? I'm still giggling over that sub they tried make awhile back, the S-80 I think? 75 tons too heavy to work right, hahaha

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999

Thank you. I was feeling a bit down and inferior as an American what with a President named Trump, but you have really cheered me up. Now I can wonder off drooling under my breath that I'm at least better than those stupid Spaniards and their filthy syphilis.

HamburgerBoy

Lifer
Apr 12, 2004
Stats have regularly shown that immigrants are more likely to end up in employment than natives. If anything it's likely to apply even more to refugees since they weren't fleeing for just work: We're talking about people who likely were already gainfully employed and now no longer have any of the usual restrictions that reduce employment prospects (e.g. "my family is rooted to a particular place, I can't uproot many miles away because our kids go to such-and-such school").

Unfortunately in some places (Lebanon IIRC), the state has decreed that refugees aren't allowed to work, which is mind-boggling.

You're probably talking about legal immigrants to countries that often have work requirements for new immigrants. Stats have shown that most Muslim refugees in Europe are unemployed for at least the first few years of their stay, and that their employment rate never surpasses the natives of their country.

https://www.oecd.org/berlin/publika...luechtlingen-EK-OECD-Arbeitspapier-092106.pdf

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
Pretty much rampant left wing stupidity running rampant as usual. Hey, what could possibly be better for a country with a 22% unemployment rate (much higher for younger people)? Bring in a bunch of uneducated refugees that will refuse to assimilate into Spanish culture, adding another big group of unemployed people who believe in violence against anyone who disagrees with their ideas. Yep, what could possibly go wrong?

Just goes to show you left wingers are idiots everywhere, not just here.

flexy

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2001
There is indeed "lots" (whatever that means) Muslims here, due to the vicinity of Spain to Morocco, Algeria etc. and of course immigrants and refugees tying to get to Spain as entry into Europe. But subjectively, it's not more or less Muslims than, say, in Berlin or some other places.
I don't see people blowing themselves up left and right, and I don't see the Muslims engaging in "violence against anyone who disagrees with their ideas", as you imply. If this was the case there would be chaos everywhere...it sure ain't :) Believe it or not, those are actually "normal" people who do normal stuff like watching soccer, having kids, going shopping etc. like anyone else. Picking out one extremist and then making a general assumption is just stupid. It's like saying I am a NAZI because I am German or something :)

Reactions: mikeymikec

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
You're probably talking about legal immigrants to countries that often have work requirements for new immigrants. Stats have shown that most Muslim refugees in Europe are unemployed for at least the first few years of their stay, and that their employment rate never surpasses the natives of their country.

https://www.oecd.org/berlin/publika...luechtlingen-EK-OECD-Arbeitspapier-092106.pdf

I concede that point. However, the main reason to take in refugees is to help those in need. As has been demonstrated in Europe lately, those refugees are often able to choose where to take refuge.

The fact that Spain has considerably higher unemployment than many developed countries and yet still its people are humanitarian enough to protest on the behalf of others in far greater need than they are should put people in other countries to shame. I am ashamed that the UK originally pledged to help only ~3,000 refugees and doubly ashamed that it has since decided to close its doors after apparently letting in only about 300.

Furthermore, a society that perhaps isn't as prosperous yet seeks to help those in need is one that I would place in far higher regard than a more prosperous country that acts like refugees are lepers. Sadly, many societies are engaging in what I call "me politics", where most people only think selfishly and only to the end of their own noses, rather than thinking about that their selfish actions only help to fuel terrorism by serving up perfectly true propaganda material to the likes of ISIS, let alone the fact that some countries that are shirking their humanitarian responsibilities are the ones that caused enough chaos to allow ISIS to flourish in the first place.

Last edited:
Reactions: ivwshane