Proper Network's cable installation

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

MonKENy

Platinum Member
Nov 1, 2007
whats a decent but cheap tool to test wire runs? We have the office wired but they were disconnected at the switch so how to I tell where they go.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
Do you guys think the crimped cables in my studio apartment cause any issues? They seem to work at gigabit speed. I can't recall ever running into a functional problem with one of my own cables. I had a lot of practice terminating them when I used to install Internet service a decade ago.

Now, after looking at the OP and some of the posts here, I'm concerned. Maybe my cables are causing problems and I've been blissfully ignorant...?

imagoon

Diamond Member
Feb 19, 2003
Do you guys think the crimped cables in my studio apartment cause any issues? They seem to work at gigabit speed. I can't recall ever running into a functional problem with one of my own cables. I had a lot of practice terminating them when I used to install Internet service a decade ago.

Now, after looking at the OP and some of the posts here, I'm concerned. Maybe my cables are causing problems and I've been blissfully ignorant...?

Ill just quote myself: "Crimping cables is the number 1 physical layer problem I see."

It might work, It might not. You would need to validate the cable with a tester.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
Ill just quote myself: "Crimping cables is the number 1 physical layer problem I see."

It might work, It might not. You would need to validate the cable with a tester.

I can say the same thing. 10 years ago, I had to install cable Internet service for hundreds of new homes in new local subdivisions, each with an OnQ brand panel (usually installed in the garage, basement, or master bedroom closet). The panel was supposed to make things simple. Homes would have network lines in every room, and network equipment would go in the panel.

In practice, the OnQ panel was always a nightmare.

• Throughout the homes, the builders used identical plates and sockets for network and phone lines (I guess they could take both size connector sizes).
  • Nothing was ever labeled at the plates or in the panel.
  • They weren't consistent with the colors they used to differentiate phone and network lines.
  • Often, there were no network lines at all. Re-purposing cat5 phone lines was trial-and-error because the radio signal from the toner would go through all the lines. I'd have to disconnect each one until I found the right one, then punch them all down again.
  • Often, the network lines weren't terminated at all.
  • Often, the terminations were bad and needed to be re-done. My tester should light each pair in sequence, but you'd almost always see that some pairs wouldn't light up or they would light up out-of-sequence because it was wired incorrectly on one end or the other. If it wasn't right after I re-terminated one end, it was almost always correct after I re-terminated both ends.
  • Quite frequently, the terminations were bad on both ends (in the room at the wall plate and in the panel).
  • Sometimes, there was no power outlet in the panel.
  • Sometimes, there was no power outlet anywhere near the panel.
  • Frequently, the place to mount the modem was missing (bracket with a velcro strap and a coax splitter).
  • Only one time ever did I find any sort of hardware for sharing an Internet connection from a modem: A basic switch. By itself, that's not adequate. There's just no room in the panel for a modem, a router, and a switch.

I'm partially colorblind, so I have to be extra careful with the arrangement of the pairs. I still have no idea how anyone could screw up terminating lines as badly as these home builders. I guess they really didn't care about the network wiring one bit and had no way to test or know that they were doing such a horrible job. Home owners were told that the homes were pre-wired "smart homes," but the wiring was always a complete non-functioning mess. There was simply no way they could just go to the panel, plug things in, and expect it to work.

lazybedone

Apr 15, 2015
I ahd my network be done by a knowledgeable person who knows those kind of things so I don't have to worry about it. I am now using VPN to make me safe over the web and secure me from any harmful malwares and worms.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
I can say the same thing. 10 years ago, I had to install cable Internet service for hundreds of new homes in new local subdivisions, each with an OnQ brand panel (usually installed in the garage, basement, or master bedroom closet). The panel was supposed to make things simple. Homes would have network lines in every room, and network equipment would go in the panel.

In practice, the OnQ panel was always a nightmare.

• Throughout the homes, the builders used identical plates and sockets for network and phone lines (I guess they could take both size connector sizes).
  • Nothing was ever labeled at the plates or in the panel.
  • They weren't consistent with the colors they used to differentiate phone and network lines.
  • Often, there were no network lines at all. Re-purposing cat5 phone lines was trial-and-error because the radio signal from the toner would go through all the lines. I'd have to disconnect each one until I found the right one, then punch them all down again.
  • Often, the network lines weren't terminated at all.
  • Often, the terminations were bad and needed to be re-done. My tester should light each pair in sequence, but you'd almost always see that some pairs wouldn't light up or they would light up out-of-sequence because it was wired incorrectly on one end or the other. If it wasn't right after I re-terminated one end, it was almost always correct after I re-terminated both ends.
  • Quite frequently, the terminations were bad on both ends (in the room at the wall plate and in the panel).
  • Sometimes, there was no power outlet in the panel.
  • Sometimes, there was no power outlet anywhere near the panel.
  • Frequently, the place to mount the modem was missing (bracket with a velcro strap and a coax splitter).
  • Only one time ever did I find any sort of hardware for sharing an Internet connection from a modem: A basic switch. By itself, that's not adequate. There's just no room in the panel for a modem, a router, and a switch.

I'm partially colorblind, so I have to be extra careful with the arrangement of the pairs. I still have no idea how anyone could screw up terminating lines as badly as these home builders. I guess they really didn't care about the network wiring one bit and had no way to test or know that they were doing such a horrible job. Home owners were told that the homes were pre-wired "smart homes," but the wiring was always a complete non-functioning mess. There was simply no way they could just go to the panel, plug things in, and expect it to work.

...and with that experience, none of my problems ever needed a fancy meter / tester to resolve. I used the most basic tester possible.

Imagoon: What were the symptoms of these problems that you have encountered? Were they just "no link" or some kind of performance issue? Intermittent or constant?

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
I ahd my network be done by a knowledgeable person who knows those kind of things so I don't have to worry about it. I am now using VPN to make me safe over the web and secure me from any harmful malwares and worms.

While VPN can help you obfuscate your identity (only if the VPN provider is secure/trustworthy *and* you take other precautions), VPN doesn't protect you from malware and worms. Saying it keeps you safe in any way is really a stretch.

Last edited:

imagoon

Diamond Member
Feb 19, 2003
...and with that experience, none of my problems ever needed a fancy meter / tester to resolve. I used the most basic tester possible.

Imagoon: What were the symptoms of these problems that you have encountered? Were they just "no link" or some kind of performance issue? Intermittent or constant?

"all of the above"

Ethernet frame CRC, Runts, IP frame CRC errors are the most common assuming the link came up.

SFCable

Mar 17, 2017
www.sfcable.com
Its a great help to new installer. Ethernet cables come in different lengths and colors. They are RoHS compliant, flexible. Most importantly, they are of high quality so installer confuse about how to install but after read it they won't.

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
the only crimping I will do is for POE cameras at the end of long runs. There is no practical way to do it otherwise, and I accept the fact that I may get to do it again. Most of the time they are out in the weather.

bruceb

Diamond Member
Aug 20, 2004
They now make pass through type CAT 6 RJ45 Connector Plugs ... makes it very easy to be sure all the wires are in the correct layout and fully inserted to where they get crimped.
https://www.platinumtools.com/products/connectors/ez-rj45-cat6-connectors-100010c/

1316717959100010%28top%29.jpg

techmanc

Golden Member
Aug 20, 2006
I need detailed info on how to use the lan testers most of time its easy to fix simple problems but for me the lan tester has not been able to tell me.

1. if my cable which I suspect has a broken wire.
2. I am seeing I dont know how to tell which end of a cable is bad or good from the 2 testers I been using and wondering if this might be a better tester for me to use https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004CI9NRM/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A2L77EE7U53NWQ&psc=1
I using this tester I just bought not sure if its working right https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01FFIA268/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
2 I got this for crimping cables https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000AZK4G/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1history/ref=nav_youraccount_orders to use with and
I got incoming in a couple days for passthrough not tested yet https://www.walmart.com/ip/425608231 great price compared to others $50-$75 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01B6SM2L4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

anyway I have all this new equipment but I have 2 cables that I cant get working ends on well the one I got were 1 port these would helped more https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01B6SM2L4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited:

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
are you crimping on ends, or punching into a keystone jack or a patch panel?

techmanc

Golden Member
Aug 20, 2006
are you crimping on ends, or punching into a keystone jack or a patch panel?

I tried using normal ends, passthrough ends, and 2 of keystone boxes and none work plus when doing the lan tests I cant even figure out which end of my cables is at fault!
Funny thing is I made like a 10' cable to from my leftover roll and it works perfectly with the trendnet crimper and the pass through rj45 connectors but no luck with 1 cable that was working and it shows 8 pins flashing with the when connected to either side so that cable should be good.

Both cable where run long ago 7-10 yrs and work fine running to my 2 gigabyte switches until I moved my router and modem to be more central.

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
I recommend never crimping unless the situation really demands it. Terminate in new keystone jacks, test with premade patch cables. Test each patch cable first for peace of mind.