Prop 8

Page 22 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Carmen813

Diamond Member
May 18, 2007
Prop 8 passing sucks, but as I see it, this issue will go away when the current generation of 18-35 year old voters become the majority. A lot of younger people simply do not care.

thirtythree

Diamond Member
Aug 7, 2001
Originally posted by: Syringer
http://www.independent.co.uk/n...-backlash-1001083.html

Daniel Ginnes carried a banner declaring: "No More Mr Nice Gay." Brian Lindsey held up a sign billing Joseph Smith, founder of the Church of the Latter Day Saints, as a "prophet, polygamist, paedophile." Hundreds of others simply chanted: "Mormon scum."

Okay, as a rabid anti-prop 8 voter, I have to ask here--what's the point of this? Calling those who disagree with you names and protesting in their front lawns are going to do NOTHING to help change their minds and your cause. You're simply adding fuel to their fire and creating more separation between you and the other side.

If it were the other way around and had prop 8 failed to pass, and then the Mormons were congregating in the streets in the gay areas, calling them sinners and saying that they'll go to hell, that would be completely self defeating of their cause as well.

Can someone explain this?

It's hard to say, but I wouldn't be surprised if the LDS church is more hesitant to get into politics in the future given the backlash from both non-members and members. There was a protest here in Salt Lake City last night as well.

EDIT: Video... nearly 2000 people apparently.

EDIT2: But you're right, the name calling and such is uncalled for...

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Nothing the Gay people do will ever convice the LDS Church members to accept Gay Marriage. Marriage in the LDS church is a lot different than even Civil Marriage. Marriage is a union between a man and a woman for all time and eternity in the LDS Church.

?Behold, I will send you Elijah the prophet before the coming of the great and dreadful day of the Lord: ?And he shall turn the heart of the fathers to the children, and the heart of the children to their fathers, lest I come and smite the earth with a curse.

Mormons stand up for what they believe and they are willing to die for their beliefs.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Originally posted by: piasabird

Mormons stand up for what they believe and they are willing to die for their beliefs.

So are Al Queda.

Funny thing is, Mormon divorce rates are the same as the national average.

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: brandonbull

If gay "Unions" get the same legal rights as straight "Marriages", why do people feel the need to keep pushing for gay "Marriage"?

If your understanding is that a "civil union" confers the same legal rights as a "marriage," why do you find it necessary to hang a different label on it for a selected group of citizens? By definition, doing so creates an artificial distinction between straight and gay unions that differs ONLY in the name.

The Supreme Court long ago established that "separate but equal" is NOT equal.

Originally posted by: winnar111

Society has no desire or interest in acknowledging behavior it considers sordid, deviant, and unbecoming to the betterment of life.

"Sordid, deviant, and unbecoming to the betterment of life" according to FUCKING BIGOTS like you. Are you so insecure in your own sexual identity that you feel compelled to discriminate against what others do in the privacy of their own bedrooms? :Q

If you call this hate or discrimination, then hate or discrimination is clearly what the people want. Enjoy.

Thanks for proving that you are one of the BIGOTS. :thumbsdown: :|

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Nothing the Gay people do will ever convice the LDS Church members to accept Gay Marriage. Marriage in the LDS church is a lot different than even Civil Marriage. Marriage is a union between a man and a woman for all time and eternity in the LDS Church.

?Behold, I will send you Elijah the prophet before the coming of the great and dreadful day of the Lord: ?And he shall turn the heart of the fathers to the children, and the heart of the children to their fathers, lest I come and smite the earth with a curse.

I guess in California they do not believe in the Constitution.

I guess poor TallBill is doomed.

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001

Mormons, like most other religious people, seem far better at making OTHER people live by what they believe in than doing so themselves. Not only are they NOT willing to die for their beliefs, they're not even willing to follow them when it's the least bit difficult to do so. SOME Mormons have a low divorce rate (those who go through the more demanding Temple ceremony), but most are just as bad as the national average. Christians are actually WORSE than non-Christians when it comes to divorce. But both groups are very ready to protect the institution of marriage from the gay menace sashaying their way :roll:

This is probably my biggest problem with the people who vote for things like prop 8 to "protect the traditional definition of marriage". They're doing far more damage to marriage than the small population of gays ever could, yet rather than try to improve their own behavior, they are hypocritically blaming other people for the problems modern families face. I'm pretty sure Jesus said something about that kind of behavior...

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
Originally posted by: Syringer
http://www.independent.co.uk/n...-backlash-1001083.html

Daniel Ginnes carried a banner declaring: "No More Mr Nice Gay." Brian Lindsey held up a sign billing Joseph Smith, founder of the Church of the Latter Day Saints, as a "prophet, polygamist, paedophile." Hundreds of others simply chanted: "Mormon scum."

Okay, as a rabid anti-prop 8 voter, I have to ask here--what's the point of this? Calling those who disagree with you names and protesting in their front lawns are going to do NOTHING to help change their minds and your cause. You're simply adding fuel to their fire and creating more separation between you and the other side.

If it were the other way around and had prop 8 failed to pass, and then the Mormons were congregating in the streets in the gay areas, calling them sinners and saying that they'll go to hell, that would be completely self defeating of their cause as well.

Can someone explain this?

People are pissed off? It's not that hard to understand. Opposition to gay marriage hasn't been exactly friendly and reasonable either, and it sure as hell hasn't been based on an approach of "changing the minds" of people who support gay marriage. There is plenty of separation and plenty of fuel on the fire already, much of it thrown on by the anti-gay marriage folks. Sure, it would be great if everyone who supported gay marriage could turn the other cheek and make a reasonable and dispassionate argument, but that's hard to do when the other side is acting the way they are. Supporting prop 8 is a pretty nasty thing to do, it's just calling people names behind their back instead of to their face.

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005

Wasn't it like just a few decades ago that god finally told the Mormon's that blacks weren't demons or something?

WHAMPOM

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2006
Originally posted by: dbk
How could the blacks vote 9 to 1 for Obama, yet vote 7 to 3 against gay marriage? They couldn't make that connection? Didn't some of them live through this country when interracial marriages were against the law?

The big monkey beats up the small monkey, then the small monkey beats on a smaller monkey worse. Zoo drama that gave Martian MVS a clue to human motivation.

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007
Originally posted by: Harvey
Originally posted by: brandonbull

If gay "Unions" get the same legal rights as straight "Marriages", why do people feel the need to keep pushing for gay "Marriage"?

If your understanding is that a "civil union" confers the same legal rights as a "marriage," why do you find it necessary to hang a different label on it for a selected group of citizens? By definition, doing so creates an artificial distinction between straight and gay unions that differs ONLY in the name.

The Supreme Court long ago established that "separate but equal" is NOT equal.

Society has no desire or interest in acknowledging behavior it considers sordid, deviant, and unbecoming to the betterment of life.

"Sordid, deviant, and unbecoming to the betterment of life" according to FUCKING BIGOTS like you. Are you so insecure in your own sexual identity that you feel compelled to discriminate against what others do in the privacy of their own bedrooms? :Q

If you call this hate or discrimination, then hate or discrimination is clearly what the people want. Enjoy.

Thanks for proving that you are one of the BIGOTS. :thumbsdown: :|

Bigoted against bigotry are we?

OrByte

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
"Never put passion before principle. Even if win, you lose." - Mr. Miyagi

hmmmmmmmmm.....

interesting in light of the current Prop 8 issue.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
lmao @ mormons
Wasn't it like just a few decades ago that god finally told the Mormon's that blacks weren't demons or something?

From the end of the nineteenth century until 1978, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints did not allow black men of African descent to be ordained to the priesthood or allow black men or women of African descent to participate in temple ordinances such as the Endowment and sealing that the church teaches are necessary for the highest degree of salvation. In the early church, at least two black people were ordained during Joseph Smith's lifetime, but they were not permitted by later presidents of the church to participate in temple ordinances.

In 1978, church leaders ceased the racial restriction policy after declaring that they had received a revelation instructing them to do so.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAH THAT'S THE BIGGEST FUCKING CROCK I'VE HEARD SINCE....well since prop 8 passed

The first statement by Young about a priesthood ban in the LDS Church was made on February 13, 1849. The statement ? which refers to the Curse of Cain as the reason for the policy ? was given in response to the question, "What chance is there for the redemption of the Negro?" Young responded, "The Lord had cursed Cain's seed with blackness and prohibited them the Priesthood."[10]

Young never cited Joseph Smith for the source of pronouncements but stated them in his own authority as a prophet. In 1852, while addressing the Utah Territorial Legislature, Young stated, "Any man having one drop of the seed of [Cain] ... in him cannot hold the Priesthood and if no other Prophet ever spoke it before I will say it now in the name of Jesus Christ I know it is true and others know it."[10]

woooooo

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B...t_of_Latter-day_Saints

seriously, replace black with gay