Proof Fear And Lies Are Effective

uclaLabrat

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2007
That is the worst article I've seen in a while. The polls are completely consistent with a steady biden 8-point lead, showing one error of +2 (10-point lead) and -2 (6-point lead). The 538 aggregate shows biden having one of his highest leads of the race as of thurs, and its contracted by half a point as of this morning.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Seems to me it's gonna be mostly about TV ads now and the Demos have 10x the arsenal that the GOP has. GOP has to spin a case, the Demos have a surfeit of tough evidence that the T administration is a disaster with no chance of redeeming itself.

Reactions: JEDIYoda

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Trump depends on the selling dreams of human greed and self glorification is what everybody wants forgetting that it is only what the sickest part of us wants and the sickest among us will seek. Trump can't overcome the fact that people are born good and it's violence and fear that make them evil. What the ego wants can never bring the joy of what the soul yearns for. Egotism can't cure suffering and it is freedom from suffering that the soul seeks. Our great religious traditions and our greatest teachers and wise men will attest the the fact that if you truly seek you will truly find. Trump will be lost in the sands of time. Love will last forever.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
Fear and lies have worked worked since there has been language. We call it politics now.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
Biden has it in the bag. No need for debates or ads.

We should go ahead and have the election next week.

/s

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Fear and lies have worked worked since there has been language. We call it politics now.
That is called cunning manipulation and it is evil. Fear can be evoked by words because of unpleasant associations with words in childhood, words that destroy self image

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
Has any politician had an honest debate with anyone?

No they have not. All of them lie and stretch the truth.
Ok to save time arguing and doing google searches, take out "honest" from my question and then answer again.
And don't call the "debates" with Hillary as proof. They were debates in name only.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
That is called cunning manipulation and it is evil. Fear can be evoked by words because of unpleasant associations with words in childhood, words that destroy self image
Fear can also be invoked by spiders, snakes, and rona. It's a survival instinct. We weren't apex predators until we developed weapons, though we did alright as pack hunters. Fear of the unknown or different is built right into us, add just a little brain into the mix (very little) and you have politics.

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
Fear can also be invoked by spiders, snakes, and rona. It's a survival instinct. We weren't apex predators until we developed weapons, though we did alright as pack hunters. Fear of the unknown or different is built right into us, add just a little brain into the mix (very little) and you have tribal politics.

FTFY.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Fear can also be invoked by spiders, snakes, and rona. It's a survival instinct. We weren't apex predators until we developed weapons, though we did alright as pack hunters. Fear of the unknown or different is built right into us, add just a little brain into the mix (very little) and you have politics.
All true and it makes my point. We have a built in mechanism that produces a gag response and vomiting when a poisonous or noxious substance is ingested. All you have to do to make a child hate himself is to identify him as the source of disgust. In this way we learn to be disgusted and project it on the other. Fear is the anticipation of disgust. It can be evoked by association with things that are disgusting where the feeling one is revolting gets safely managed by projection. Snakes and spiders etc can give people the heebie-jeebies.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999

This is irrelevant and a defense mechanism seems to me to avoid dealing straight on with the fact that nobody in politics has ever lied like Trump. His lies are criminal and have cause thousands to die unnecessarily jusat because of his shit for brains ego. No larger piece of excrement has ever before hit the American political stage. Why do you think you have a need to do this both sides thing? Trump is garbage; not every conservative is. Some Democrats are garbage too. It's just not the point.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
Ok to save time arguing and doing google searches, take out "honest" from my question and then answer again.
And don't call the "debates" with Hillary as proof. They were debates in name only.

Trust me I'm not going to argue with you over some semantics.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
Quick question:
Is there rainbows and gumdrops in your fantasy land?
or just white people and guns and your version of "the Bible"?

Do you disagree with my statement?

What does white people and guns and your version of "the Bible" have to do with debates?

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Do you disagree with my statement?

What does white people and guns and your version of "the Bible" have to do with debates?
No offense but you dont know a fucking thing about debate so I cannot debate you.
You also dont know shit about reality so discussing reality with you is pointless.
Your side does this all the time and it works really well on dumb ignorant masses. You put up a horrible argument loaded with false data and logical fallacies then scream "DEBATE ME!" like angry children. The fact America is loaded with morons right now really helped to get a moron elected and since I cant sink to your level I'm just gonna let you "win" another argument.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
I've seen your posting history before and you tell me I don't know sh!t about reality.

That is funny and very sad.

ondma

Platinum Member
Mar 18, 2018
Fear and lies are certainly effective. Even more so when mixed with a dash of racism.
Anyone who wants proof? Just go back and look at the lead Dukakis had over Bush (hint 16 points), which evaporated when Bush went to negative attack ads with the Willie Horton attack.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
From the Michael Douglas movie, "The American President."
(word changes in bold are mine)

We have serious problems to solve, and we need serious people to solve them. And whatever your particular problem is, I promise you Donald Trump is not the least bit interested in solving it. He is interested in two things, and two things only: making you afraid of it, and telling you who's to blame for it. That, ladies and gentlemen, is how you win elections. You gather a group of middle age, middle class, middle income voters who remember with longing an easier time, and you talk to them about family, and American values, shows film clips of minority Americans protesting mistreatment by the police, and he calls them criminals and communists, all the while, his lackeys are sending in rabble-rousers to further inflame racial unrest and hatred.

Fear and lies are right off of page 1 in the Republican playbook.

Reactions: Muse and Meghan54

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002

Still doing that honest response comparing someone going 5mph over the speed limit to someone going 80 over. There is a good reason police handle those scenarios differently. But...but everybody speeds.

Every President plays golf
Every President plays lies
Every President advocates for violence. Oops that one might not be true

Kinda like saying racism is #bothsides