Project C.A.R.S

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

LeviathanPT

Aug 19, 2012
It is still being worked on, the new tire model will improve the physics to a higher levelm there have been big changes recently in terms of FFB reaction and feeling which improved considerably.
If this was a final product i would be worried, but it is a pre-alpha :)

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I bought into this a month ago. It's moving pretty fast. Although I'm waiting for them to improve the sound.

Also at 5760x1080 it's kicking my computer's butt even in DX9.

Yikes ...

My crossfired 6870s are only a year or so old .... I'm not ready to upgrade yet ... :(

LeviathanPT

Aug 19, 2012
Guys prepare your graphic cards, ready up your CPU's, if Project CARS was tempting before.. now it will blow up your mind ...and make you wet!

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/51646791/PCars Screenshots/Makes Me Wet/00b.JPG
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/51646791/PCars Screenshots/Makes Me Wet/00c.JPG
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/51646791/PCars Screenshots/Makes Me Wet/00d.JPG
00e.JPG

01c.JPG

09.JPG

12.JPG

14.JPG

16.JPG

17.JPG

18.JPG

19.JPG

20.JPG

All the screenshots above were taking ingame by the developers with the improved weather system will come soon to pCARS. From realistic windscreen water effects to the beautiful reflections arounds the tracks to immerse you into the racing even more!

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
Wish they would release some in-car screenies instead of all this 3rd person stuff. SlightlyMad does the best job of creating a believable 1st person cockpit view.

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
Thanks.....starting to get very stoked about this game. I loved Shift2, and this game visually reminds me a lot of that. I hope they do a good job with the physics and handling mechanics. Shift2 was pretty sketchy without mods. With mods = great.

Feb 6, 2007
It's already one of the best looking games of all time. But all that graphical brilliance will be worthless if the physics model isn't up to snuff. If they can give it a physics model comparable to Gran Turismo 5 or Forza 4, I'm all in.

LeviathanPT

Aug 19, 2012
It aint finished yet in that department, we are waiting for a new tire physics model that they are working on but the whole concept isnt to be comparable to any of those two, its to beat them :p

Check the video link above and hear the comments from InsideSimRacing :)

Skurge

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2009
Do you know if there is any way to turn off the DoF? I find it annoying in it's current implantation.

fabiencolombo

Jun 14, 2012
I do realize that this is a pre alpha, but I wish that the background in game would be on par with the amazing details on cars. Don't flame me, I actually quite enjoy the game, but a few things are ticking me off.

First of all, am I doing something wrong with my graphical settings?

1348914302-pcars-2012-09-29-17-57-27-03.jpg

Then if you guys would look at this:

The texture of the road is atrocious.
1348914555-pcars-2012-09-29-17-52-59-37.jpg

Look at the black car it looks like the textures are not applied.Kind of remind me of the difference between premium and non premium in GT5:
1348914550-pcars-2012-09-29-17-53-19-49.jpg

What is that damn ugly green thing?
1348914763-pcars-2012-09-29-18-13-21-88.jpg

Look at my gorgeous bumpers and look at that fugly blue car:
1348914744-pcars-2012-09-29-17-59-38-40.jpg

Look at that ugly lens flare...WTF?! triangles in the middle of my screen:
1348914723-pcars-2012-09-29-18-04-34-60.jpg

Here the screen is pretty good, but the thing that it doesn't show is that the AI is damn dumb. Try to stop in the middle of the road after a start, and you will see cars voluntarly destroying themselves afainst the walls...

1348914714-pcars-2012-09-29-18-08-45-11.jpg

I believe I can fly :whiste: No seriously? cars go that high?
1348915148-pcars-2012-09-29-18-17-08-07.jpg

Everytime I bump against the wall or the ground I have this ugly 2D looking thing (the grey texture) appearing trying to simulate, I suppose, the impact, is that normal?
1348915172-pcars-2012-09-29-18-17-41-91.jpg

I do hope they bump the quality of the environment quite a bit. Some cars do look incredible, but the environment looks damn dull in my opinion...so far.

I Have to admit that the starting block with 60 cars at once looks damn good. But the physics seems strange. I'm not a pro sim driver, so it me be me who just doesn't understands how the physics are supposed to works.

Another thing that troubles me is the sound design so far. Maybe it's cause I'm a noob, but it seems that cars are making the same sound as a jet fighter...

So in conclusion, after all this, do you think something wrong with my GPU? or is the pre-alpha status is to blame for all of that?
And what about the sound, the AI and physics?
Thanks for taking the time to read and answering me.

LeviathanPT

Aug 19, 2012
I do realize that this is a pre alpha, but I wish that the background in game would be on par with the amazing details on cars. Don't flame me, I actually quite enjoy the game, but a few things are ticking me off.

First of all, am I doing something wrong with my graphical settings?
Then if you guys would look at this:
The texture of the road is atrocious.
Look at the black car it looks like the textures are not applied.Kind of remind me of the difference between premium and non premium in GT5:
What is that damn ugly green thing?
Look at my gorgeous bumpers and look at that fugly blue car:
Look at that ugly lens flare...WTF?! triangles in the middle of my screen:
Here the screen is pretty good, but the thing that it doesn't show is that the AI is damn dumb. Try to stop in the middle of the road after a start, and you will see cars voluntarly destroying themselves afainst the walls...
I believe I can fly :whiste: No seriously? cars go that high?
Everytime I bump against the wall or the ground I have this ugly 2D looking thing (the grey texture) appearing trying to simulate, I suppose, the impact, is that normal?
I do hope they bump the quality of the environment quite a bit. Some cars do look incredible, but the environment looks damn dull in my opinion...so far.
I Have to admit that the starting block with 60 cars at once looks damn good. But the physics seems strange. I'm not a pro sim driver, so it me be me who just doesn't understands how the physics are supposed to works.
Another thing that troubles me is the sound design so far. Maybe it's cause I'm a noob, but it seems that cars are making the same sound as a jet fighter...
So in conclusion, after all this, do you think something wrong with my GPU? or is the pre-alpha status is to blame for all of that?
And what about the sound, the AI and physics?
Thanks for taking the time to read and answering me.

Graphic settings seem ok to me.

That texture looks like it is oversharpened and with really high gamma levels, do you use some custom GPU settings?

The bumper on those cars do really look off somehow, are you running in dx9 or 11 ?

Lens flare are still a work in progress (like most of the game) but they usually have weird shapes in it even in real life if you take a look like in a lens perspective :p
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d9/High-quality_lens_flare_rendering.png

AI is a work in progress, they are thinking on implementing a system similar to the one in Shift 2 where the AI can adapt to the driving of the player and other AI's around.

Yes it is possible to fly, try the nascar race tracks at max speed and bump against the wall :p
Still a WIP.

Impact decals are kinda nice even tho sometimes they dont show up properly due to the nature of the surface they impact on.

Cant agree with you on the sound part, they sound pretty good and they are going to get an overhaul improvement.
This friday some of them were implemented with punchier sounds just to see how they work ingame but they intend to go above the quality you see for example in RRE.

I wouldnt say theres something wrong with the GPU but maybe with some screen settings like gamma that seem to be very bright on some parts.
The physics are a wip, none of them are final theres still a missing element that will be the STM tire model that is being developed which will completly change how the game feels :)

Like you said it is a pre-alpha most of the stuff ingame does not represent a final quality standard but the game is already pretty good compared with some other recently released games :)

Hope i didnt miss anything, if you need help just say so :D

fabiencolombo

Jun 14, 2012
LeviathanPT

Thanks a lot to have taken the time to answer my questions.

I use the directX 11 version and I haven't messed around with the settings in my Nvida control panel yet. I'm able to get 60-70 fps on average but I do go down to 35 fps at the starting blocks with 60 cars on my actual settings so I'm not sure it would be a good idea to crank up the graphics even more through the gpu. Maybe if dial down the aa a bit, but since I'm on a very big screen TV it's important for me to get a good aa :p

For the lens flare, I have to say that your IRL screen is amazing. And I suppose I got used to get a more "roundish" kind of effect from all the games I've played so far. Never saw the triangles shape before in a game, that's why it looked weird for me I suppose.
Thoguh the effect in game could use a bit more "transparency" in my opinion.

For the sound part, I will admit that I love playing race games, but I'm not keen on actually watching races on TV and since I do not own a race car:'( I will humbly admit that I haven't a clue how race cars are supposed to sound... even if in game they do sound like a jet fighter to me :rolleyes:

I'll post a screen of my color/gamma/contrast setting in my Nvidia control panel:
1348922857-untitled.jpg

Do you see something wrong here? Despise all that I'm still having a lot of fun with the game so far.
Thanks for your time.

LeviathanPT

Aug 19, 2012
The settings actually look OK

Can you give it a go with the game in DX9 to see if its even more bright or less ?

EDIT:
Oh i noticed that you are a Junior right ? So you are still @ build 296 if im not wrong, that could be the reason. But give it a go anyways on DX9 to see if you notice any difference.

Last edited:

fabiencolombo

Jun 14, 2012
Yes, I'm a junior. I will try with the directX9 settings and post a screen of the road at night and the bumpers like my precedent post.

Thanks.

LeviathanPT

Aug 19, 2012
Ok tell me the location and settings like weather and time so i can test it with a newer build! :D To compare differences

fabiencolombo

Jun 14, 2012
here is the track:
1348924544-pcars-2012-09-29-21-14-37-97.jpg

here are the settings:
1348924546-pcars-2012-09-29-21-15-06-14.jpg

It does look pretty much the same in directX9 to me except that
the road texture is still kinda "poping out" in a weird way.
And my bumpers kinda look different...maybe less reflection? Not sure if it's from the

1348924139-pcars-2012-09-29-21-07-20-15.jpg

Last edited:

LeviathanPT

Aug 19, 2012
Ok using the settings you have this is how it looks in the current 311 build for me in dx11/9

Screenshot3057.jpg

Screenshot3596.jpg

What graphic card do you have?

fabiencolombo

Jun 14, 2012
I'm using a SLI of MSI N580GTX lightning twin frozrz III oc version 1.5GB

Can you try to take a screen with some cars in your back? In order to get the lights from the cars on the road.
Place yourself in the middle of the pack . I get the same rendering as you do if I don't have lighting on my back. But as soon as the road is lit by many cars it gets like my screen.

But the backgrounds indeed look better on your screenm especially the lightning on the tribunes