Project C.A.R.S

Final8ty

Golden Member
Jun 13, 2007
Don't watch in less than 720p, 1080p preferable.

http://vimeo.com/41210575

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JB13KZFf9c

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAev5eg-few

C.A.R.S. Frequently Asked Questions

What is C.A.R.S.?

C.A.R.S. = Community Assisted Race Sim. The game will be funded by and developed in close cooperation with the (sim) racing / gaming community. People can invest an amount of money up-front, entitling them to receiving profit and taking part in testing of weekly game builds. Depending on the magnitude of his/her investment, an investor has a bigger or smaller voice in what content will get into the game. The game starts as a base game with a few cars and tracks, and will be expanded from there depending on what the community decides.
The game will be free-to-play, with paid extra content (microtransactions).

How can I invest?

Everything will be explained soon on the website www.wmdportal.com

What platform will it be developed on?
The game will be developed on PC, DX11, and back-ported to DX9 and consoles.

Will it be a hardcore sim or arcade?
In the end that will be decided by the community/investors, but the initial aim will be a full/hardcore sim with aids and adjustments to cater for the casual player as well.

Will the game have surround sound?

The game will use a 3D Sound system is using fmod so 5.1 and 7.1 are supported.

What will the graphics engine look like?
The graphics are DX11 including FXAA, depth of field, screen space ambient occlusion, motion-blur and shadows will be improved in DX11 initially, with appropriate back-ports to DX9 and consoles. The engine will use deferred rendering like in Shift 2.

Are those screenshots really in-game graphics?

Yes they are, they show the actual game rendering engine at work with the car in the pit/garage.

What cars will be in the game?
The game will provide a base car from each of the main types (single seater, endurance, historic etc, asphalt racing only) so the investors can feedback on input, handling FFB etc. After that, additional content will be decided on by the investors.
As for the car brands that will be featured, this will also be depending on licensing (=money).

What tracks will be in the game?

TBA

Damn it there was another thread already and i even have a post in it :/ .

Last edited:

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
I just really, really, really hope the bastards ultimately financing this the most will allow a truly FULL SIM approach to at least exist. Preferably, during any online competition, full sim offers the only method to truly attain top lap times/speeds, with aids allowing very close (say, two seconds on a 2 minute lap) performance matching but in effect limited. If that proves true or not, I do at least hope every aid and whatnot can be disabled to allow as much of a hardcore sim as the physics engine will support.

I, however, do not want to see how ugly this game will look once enabled at triple-screen resolution on my current hardware. I can make iRacing look quite good but new engines will be severely limited on my rig.

LeviathanPT

Aug 19, 2012
The community is financing the game and theres no EA or other of those damned distributors/companies behind them.
Currently they have gathered around 2.9Million euros (1.5M is money from SMS themselves and the remaining is from the community).
They have acquired a few licences since the op posted this info, they have Ford, BMW, Giulletas and more to come.
They also introduced Nordschleife and currently is available to play on, added cloud based system with constant and evolving clouds and rain effects.

As for the triple screen i dont know what system you have but theres plenty of people in the forums playing with triple screens and plenty of videos aswell showing up the game.

If you think about it, for just 10€ you can play a AAA+ game with great physics, visuals and a development team that gives you constant daily updates about the game development. With constant builds being release in a weekly (25€)/monthly (€10) base this is a bargain and you can keep on playing it as long as you want.

Ill leave you guys with some recent build screenshots and videos (all ingame without any post treatment)

Screenshot68403.png

Screenshot66354.png

pCARS2012-08-1913-11-52-68.png

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

http://vimeo.com/46406757
http://vimeo.com/45038618

Homepage: http://www.wmdportal.com/projects/cars/

Skurge

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2009
I bought into this a month ago. It's moving pretty fast. Although I'm waiting for them to improve the sound.

Also at 5760x1080 it's kicking my computer's butt even in DX9.

@nthony

Oct 16, 2011
This is the first I'm hearing of it, thanks for posting. I need to believe after the horrible horrible F1 2010 ridiculously casual console series masquerading as a sim there was light at the end of the tunnel.
The last good F1 simulator I played was F1 2002, everything since then has been ultra casual (I remember the game even had a separate program for analyzing telemetry! and good setups were king.)
I'll definitely be watching this, even though I don't even own a wheel, I want to support the return of real hardcore racing sims.

Ooops, I spoke too soon:
PROJECT CARS is due for release on the following platforms... Wii U PC PlayStation 3 Xbox 360

Last edited:

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
The game looks great, and I like the idea of a full blown racing sim, but the problem I have with it, is the same problem I have with 90% of all racing games: I don't enjoy driving race-specific cars (F1 cars, those silly wedge looking things, etc). I'll stick with GT5. I like racing road cars.

LeviathanPT

Aug 19, 2012
This is the first I'm hearing of it, thanks for posting. I need to believe after the horrible horrible F1 2010 ridiculously casual console series masquerading as a sim there was light at the end of the tunnel.
The last good F1 simulator I played was F1 2002, everything since then has been ultra casual (I remember the game even had a separate program for analyzing telemetry! and good setups were king.)
I'll definitely be watching this, even though I don't even own a wheel, I want to support the return of real hardcore racing sims.

Ooops, I spoke too soon:

You can play now if you support Project Cars, donating them will give you some perks like discounts when the game comes out or even a free copy depending on how much you want to help them with.
The only thing with the F1 cars ingame atm is the sound that may not be perfect but its still a pre-alpha so you cant say its a final work.

The game looks great, and I like the idea of a full blown racing sim, but the problem I have with it, is the same problem I have with 90% of all racing games: I don't enjoy driving race-specific cars (F1 cars, those silly wedge looking things, etc). I'll stick with GT5. I like racing road cars.

They are adding the BMW 1M soon and they got some Fords in line to be made aswell, there will be some "normal" road cars and they even ask the community to tell them what they want using polls systems, then based on the top cars they will try to get licences and make them :)

Arkadrel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2010
Usually dont like raceing games, but saw some videos of this on youtube and... Im impressed.

zebrax2

Nov 18, 2007
Man that looks good.

Is it just me or is the lighting in the night part not as impressive as the those with sunlight?

LeviathanPT

Aug 19, 2012
Well it depends on alot of variants:

*The Sun rises and sets according to the real time date
*Cloud influentiate the lighting exposure
*Tracks are created in a realistic way where the altitude of the real place is inserted ingame and so the sun light comes in diferent angles at diferent times of the day.

The night part may not be as impressive only due to the settings used but we had some pretty amazing screenshots taken at night were you could see the stars reflection on the hood of the car :)

LeviathanPT

Aug 19, 2012
Hey everyone got some new updates about the project!

It is getting along pretty nicely with daily updates by the developers. They have been teasing us with the progress on the BMW M1 Procar the BMW Z4 that will be soon in-game and available to play (there’s more @ the forums but I can’t show them).

BMW_27.jpg

BMW_38.jpg

bmwm1_wip42.jpg

bmwm1ingametease.jpg

Amazing the amount of detail these guys place into a car with even the tiniest bolt being carefully placed on the right spot !

They also have shown us some updates on the tracks, in particular Nordschleife, Bathurst, Spa francorchamps, Laguna Seca but some of the shots are so early that I cant publish in here:
b06a.jpg

SS114225.jpg

SS114429.jpg

Theres some awesome panoramic/interactive shots from some of the tracks by Sagedavid the founder of the Facebook Project Cars Fan Group check it out below:
http://www.parispherique.com/panos/divers/pCARS/pCARS_indianapolis.html
http://www.parispherique.com/panos/divers/pCARS/pCARS_memphis.html
http://www.parispherique.com/panos/divers/pCARS/pCARS_suzuka_timelapse.html

Here’s some screenshots made by the community!
Screenshot14386.jpg

Screenshot30590.jpg

Screenshot59357.jpg

More screenshots in the official gallery http://www.wmdportal.com/projectnews/project-cars-community-gallery-31/#more-1988

thejunglegod

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2012
Wow. I didn't know about this. The only racing game i ever enjoyed was DIRT2 and I couldn't even pull myself to finish that. All those F1 games came with horrible tutorials. I'll be keeping an eye on this. Thanks.

LeviathanPT

Aug 19, 2012
Jesus Christ man dont say that word else you may curse us all ! :p
It wont have GFWL :) 400% sure, it may have a Steam version tho.

-Slacker-

Golden Member
Feb 24, 2010
I'm asking because that's what I saw at the end of one of the videos when the compatible platforms were shown.

LeviathanPT

Aug 19, 2012
Really ? :eek:
Well i can assure it is wrong, there was even a thread @ the main forums and everyone was just going panic mode saying no :p

-Slacker-

Golden Member
Feb 24, 2010
Doesn't "games for windows" refer to "games for windows live"? 1:15 in your video. (honestly confused here, not trying to be confrontational or anything).

LeviathanPT

Aug 19, 2012
Nah that only represents that it is a game for Windows (theres no Mac or Linux support), usually when its a GFWL game it has something like this.
Gfwlive-new.jpg

I know you arent, just saying that GFWL is something that we asked the devs to not be part with and they agreed with us. :)

LeviathanPT

Aug 19, 2012
7 September - THE BMWS ARE HERE !

They are still in a very early stage of development but the Devs couldnt resist the pressure made by the community and released our beloved BMWs!

7947688930_006517b4aa_b.jpg

7947664672_671fd9c19d_b.jpg

7948181092_4e81388ec7_b.jpg

7948164660_9e4b812035_b.jpg

note: Theres still more BMW's in the assembly line like the BMW 1M!

They also included alot of fixes/improvements to some of our favorite tracks and changes to the Force Feedback with new settings that hopefully will give a better feeling, the devs are requesting feedback from the community in the forums in order to get them even better.

Ps: Im not trying to bump the thread, just posting an update.

Skurge

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2009
LeviathanPT what system are you running on? Cause I'm not sure if I'm still CPU bottle-necked at 5760x1080