Progress: Typical NERD to something more

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

repoman0

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2010
Before I started cutting, I was about 188@22-24% bodyfat with a 1015lbs total (365/230/415 squat; bench; deadlift). As it stands, I am 153.8lbs@7-8% bodyfat. I have no idea where my total is as I haven't lifted heavy in forever but about 2 weeks ago (~154.5lbs), I squatted 225x3x10 then 225x1x13 afterwards and deadlifted 275x1, 315x1, and then 365x1 for easy singles after deadlifting 245x4x10. I have lost some strength for sure but keep in mind that between my 1015 total and now, I took a year off from lifting to try out other things in college (rowing, martial arts, etc.) where I did not lift at all.

Sounds like you maintained a lot of strength for how much weight you lost. Any pics at 188?

lawlz

Sep 12, 2007
Here's me at a fat 188 (22-24% bf). Sure, the bulk netted me a lot of strength but I gained a lot of fat in the process, not worth it.

DSC_0277.jpg

DSC_0270.jpg

Here's me at 155 (8-9%):

IMG_1196.jpeg

snapshot3.jpg

Saint Nick

Lifer
Jan 21, 2005
??? Because then when I was 24, I would probably be pulling four plate dead lifts, and pushing three plate squats, and benching 225.

Not to mention I think testosterone is at it's peak around age 19. Not sure if that is broscience or not.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Test does peak somewhere around 16-20 for most guys and slowly decreases throughout the rest of their life.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001

There are simple solutions to this problem now and like women that need hormones at around 50, men are finding sometimes by mid-30 they are really below optimum levels. The problem is a bit multi-faceted though. Many doctors believe it's totally normal for an adult male to have a test. level below 300. Most insurance companies will only cover the testosterone when you really need something like HCG to prevent testicular atrophy as well as an anti-estrogen. Sadly insurance doesn't care about no-nuts and bitch-tits.

The last is the treatment becomes lifelong.

The bloodtest is usually covered 100% by insurance though, you want to get the full hormone panel done that shows free test, estrogen, HGH, etc.

Turbonium

Platinum Member
Mar 15, 2003
??? Because then when I was 24, I would probably be pulling four plate dead lifts, and pushing three plate squats, and benching 225.

Not to mention I think testosterone is at it's peak around age 19. Not sure if that is broscience or not.
Lol, so lifting more is automatically good? It seems a bit arbitrary. Personally, I just want to be healthy (and I'm doing a poor job of it so far).

repoman0

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2010
Lol, so lifting more is automatically good? It seems a bit arbitrary. Personally, I just want to be healthy (and I'm doing a poor job of it so far).

Being better at something you enjoy is always good. I'm perfectly healthy deadlifting 3 plates but I'm gonna keep working to hit 4+ just because - and I'm sure Nick is the same way

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
Heh, bigger/stronger is better to people that lift.

Don't worry St Nick, at 48, I can still gain muscle as long as the rest of my body cooperates.....joints/tendons. I've gone several months with little/no tendonitis issues so I've increased weight. Now the left wrist and right elbow ache. Not to mention the fubar-ed knee. Can't win and I expect it's downhill from here. :(

Turbonium

Platinum Member
Mar 15, 2003
I want to lift, but I can't so far. It kinda sucks. Only so much you can do with diet alone.

tedrodai

Golden Member
Jan 18, 2006
I want to lift, but I can't so far. It kinda sucks. Only so much you can do with diet alone.

Because of injury? Anywho, diet alone only does "so much", true (depending on your goals), but it's a very important "so much".

Turbonium

Platinum Member
Mar 15, 2003
I'm currently about 15 lbs overweight. I can trim it back down to my ideal weight with a good few weeks of eating right (2000-2100 calories/day or so with proper macros) and at least some light exercise daily at the very least. I've done it before. Problem is, once I reach my ideal weight, I want to lift, but can't, due to some rather complicated health reasons. It's kind of frustrating.

Anyway, I don't mean to hijack this thread, so whatever.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
I'm currently about 15 lbs overweight. I can trim it back down to my ideal weight with a good few weeks of eating right (2000-2100 calories/day or so with proper macros) and at least some light exercise daily at the very least. I've done it before. Problem is, once I reach my ideal weight, I want to lift, but can't, due to some rather complicated health reasons. It's kind of frustrating.

Anyway, I don't mean to hijack this thread, so whatever.
So what about body weight exercises, core, yoga....yeah, I'm no expert.

Heh, do some planks. Front and both sides. Love/hate with my PT. 2 min front, 1 min both sides, 40 crunches, 1 min front, 45 sec both sides, 30 crunches. Under my fat, rock solid.;)

Actually, I would like some advice in this area. May start a thread for the old people/joint challenged here.

Saint Nick

Lifer
Jan 21, 2005
There are simple solutions to this problem now and like women that need hormones at around 50, men are finding sometimes by mid-30 they are really below optimum levels. The problem is a bit multi-faceted though. Many doctors believe it's totally normal for an adult male to have a test. level below 300. Most insurance companies will only cover the testosterone when you really need something like HCG to prevent testicular atrophy as well as an anti-estrogen. Sadly insurance doesn't care about no-nuts and bitch-tits.

The last is the treatment becomes lifelong.

The bloodtest is usually covered 100% by insurance though, you want to get the full hormone panel done that shows free test, estrogen, HGH, etc.
Thanks for the info alky. I was thinking of having this full hormone panel done when I go in for a check up at the doc. Would it make sense to have this panel performed by two doctors to see if there is any sort of discrepancy, or are they pretty solid in how they measure this stuff. Just wondering.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Thanks for the info alky. I was thinking of having this full hormone panel done when I go in for a check up at the doc. Would it make sense to have this panel performed by two doctors to see if there is any sort of discrepancy, or are they pretty solid in how they measure this stuff. Just wondering.

Two doctors isn't really necessary, but no one set of results should be trusted. You may have to wait 8 weeks for insurance to approve the followup.

The problem will be if your doctor believes in HRT should you test low twice. (also do your test early morning as levels are highest then). Some docs don't believe in it yet. Many cardiologists are buying into it as they are noticing corelations between low test. in their patients and the onset of various age-related illnesses (heart disease, stroke, high blood pressure, etc).

Dee67

Golden Member
Dec 14, 2000
You look great man.. Total respect. Every pat on the back, second look, compliment you get - you well deserve. To know you accomplished that and had trial/error mistakes makes it more possible to people with the evidence that it doesn't have to be perfectly laid out and executed 100% of the time. Great stuff.

lawlz

Sep 12, 2007
A small update. I hit a bit of a wall this past month but have revamped my diet plan and am making a final push to 5-6% bf.

IMG_20130228_131617_zps237e3a7d-1_zps91853bf1.jpg

hans007

Lifer
Feb 1, 2000
Damn mad props man.

I was a chubby nerd in college too and wish I had learned how to eat and lift back then. 10 years later I finally really figured it out but I more or less just try to maintain a 10-11% body fat body. 5-6% I've heard is really tough just diet wise. I party and eat with friends too much haha