Problems With Dynamite Data?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Numenorean

Diamond Member
Oct 26, 2008
What ISP do you have and what speed is your connection? I have verizon FIOS and i have 25Mb/s upload and download and notice few or no delays when clicking on a DD link. And any delay i do experience is no ore then 10 seconds.

I have AOL and I connect with my awesome 9600 baud modem.

It's freaking 12Mb/s Comcast and I don't have problems loading sites.

DynamiteMatt

Jun 9, 2010
http://www.tkqlhce.com/click-333216...com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233107

Link just died 3 times when clicking on a link in FS/FT. Had nothing to do with the link I was trying to goto.:(

Hi Motorheader,

Thanks you for reporting the issue. Are you still having trouble with the above link?

At this point, the link has actually already gone through the affiliation process and is past our own servers. If you are still having troubles, it could indicate a conflict with some other software on your computer. PeerGuardian and similar connection blocking software seems to have this effect.

NOTE TO ALL: If the quoted link above is not working properly for you, it could indicate a conflict with ad blocking software on your computer. Try disabling PeerGuardian or similar connection blocking software and see if the issue still persists.

Thanks,

Matt
Dynamite Data

Motorheader

Diamond Member
Sep 3, 2000
I just checked it and it finally worked. I checked it at times for over an hour after my post and it "bombed" every time. It didn't matter - opera, firefox, ie. No proxy or ad blocking software used or enabled on my end.

QuantumPion

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2005
My company blocks dynamite data so all links to vendor referrals are broken to me. Would be nice if there was some way to manually get link URL's back.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
My company blocks dynamite data so all links to vendor referrals are broken to me. Would be nice if there was some way to manually get link URL's back.

It would be fine for me too. In Chrome I can just highlight the whole string of text and right click to go to it automatically. But if its an actual link then highlighting is a chore.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
Hi Anubis,

The redirector is necessary to financially support Anandtech. It also deters spammers from posting links, since the technology removes their tags.

We believe we have corrected most of the speed and stability issues, but please let us know if you have any current problems.

Thanks,

Matt
Dynamite Data

i donated to AT way back in the day when they allowed it and would again. but link redirects are almost as annoying as flash adds. and i run addons scripts to remove both.
actually im pretty sure most redirects are blacklisted in my hosts file as well

alfa147x

Lifer
Jul 14, 2005
When i click on the link in this post:
Link

It takes me to newegg page with a bunch of Win7 listings but if I c&p the link it works

DynamiteMatt

Jun 9, 2010
Link

It takes me to newegg page with a bunch of Win7 listings but if I c&p the link it works

Hi alfa147x,

Thank you for the report. It looks like there is two spaces in the url, which may be breaking encoding. I am looking into this.

Thanks,

Matt
Dynamite Data

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
I'm noticing that DynamiteData is using multiple redirectors now. How do I know? Because some links are taking me to redirectors that are blocked by my company, and some aren't. For example, I can no longer access redirected sites pointing to Newegg because they're being redirected through dw.com.com, which is filtered by my company.

(mangled the transit method on purpose so vB doesn't make a link out of it)

h*t*t*p://dw.com.com/redir?pg=1&mfgId=275227&merId=243708&part=lmcd-cnet&ttag=cnet& siteId=9&astid=2&stype=mplevel_desc&pId=34001726&sorder=0&lop=u00000626&prc=$1, 049.99&channelid=3000&tag=lst&edId=1541&ltype=mlst&ontId=6482&desturl=http://ww w.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16889102344&nm_mc=OTC-C173T&cm_mmc=O TC-C173T-_-LCD+TV-_-SAMSUNG-_-89102344

Meanwhile, other vendors redirect through other sites (such as tkqlhce.com, etc) and work.

While I don't have a problem with my work filtering potentially bad sites, my point is the fact that DynamiteData IS USING multiple redirectors, and in fact occasionally multiple NESTED redirectors, which doesn't sit pretty with me given I have zero control over what information they're taking on each pass from my system.

It seems as if I'm going to have to go back to using scripts to filter out the redirection, which sucks given I try to support AT as much as possible. (I've already had to recently reenable ABP because of other advertising issues on AT unfortunately)

DynamiteMatt

Jun 9, 2010
Link

Hi alfa147x,

This was an issue with the forum encoding, but I was able to implement a fix on our side. It should be working correctly now.

Thanks,

Matt
Dynamite Data

DynamiteMatt

Jun 9, 2010
I'm noticing that DynamiteData is using multiple redirectors now. How do I know? Because some links are taking me to redirectors that are blocked by my company, and some aren't. For example, I can no longer access redirected sites pointing to Newegg because they're being redirected through dw.com.com, which is filtered by my company.

(mangled the transit method on purpose so vB doesn't make a link out of it)

Meanwhile, other vendors redirect through other sites (such as tkqlhce.com, etc) and work.

While I don't have a problem with my work filtering potentially bad sites, my point is the fact that DynamiteData IS USING multiple redirectors, and in fact occasionally multiple NESTED redirectors, which doesn't sit pretty with me given I have zero control over what information they're taking on each pass from my system.

It seems as if I'm going to have to go back to using scripts to filter out the redirection, which sucks given I try to support AT as much as possible. (I've already had to recently reenable ABP because of other advertising issues on AT unfortunately)

Hi SunnyD,

This behavior is not new, as we have been using multiple routes for some time now. It may be that your work has only recently started blocking the dw.com.com domain.

It's unfortunate that this is causing issues for you, but unshaped traffic should not be experiencing any problems getting to the correct destination.

Thanks,

Matt
Dynamite Data

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
Hi SunnyD,

This behavior is not new, as we have been using multiple routes for some time now. It may be that your work has only recently started blocking the dw.com.com domain.

It's unfortunate that this is causing issues for you, but unshaped traffic should not be experiencing any problems getting to the correct destination.

Thanks,

Matt
Dynamite Data

If you'd be so kind as to disclose exactly which passthru's you guys use, it'd go a long way to me potentially not blacklisting your service.

SkyBum

Oct 16, 2004
I'm using the latest version of Firefox on XP SP3.

The Anandtech main page is pretty much a daily stop for me but about a week and a half ago, clicking ANY of the Latest Posts from the feed on the homepage results in a firefox hang for me.

In most cases I only see a 'loading detonator.dynamitedata' at the bottom left corner of a white screen (if I got that slightly wrong, its cause i cant check it right now without crashing this post). Anyhow the page never loads and from that point firefox and any open tabs are hung. Using the back button or trying to load a new page will appear to load indefinitely.

If I try just restarting Firefox from a hang state , it loads my homepage indefinitely. If I close firefox and then kill the firefox process that stays running in task manager it usually tries to reload the anandtech link I previously attempted to visit and induces a new hang. Occasionally the browser decides to load my homepage instead of the previous anandtech link which leaves me with a working browser. At any rate clicking a link on the main page is like playing russian roulette, or walking through a minefield. Neither seem to have much appeal to me...

I have not experienced this problem on any other site and as far as I can tell, it is only happening when clicking on an Anandtech article (dailytech links seem to be working fine). The only other common denominator I see is the Detonator.dynamitedata.

Quite frustrating, especially in light of not being able to enter any of the recent drawings.

As near as I can tell, dynamitedata can suck me.

Last edited:

DynamiteMatt

Jun 9, 2010
I'm using the latest version of Firefox on XP SP3.

The Anandtech main page is pretty much a daily stop for me but about a week and a half ago, clicking ANY of the Latest Posts from the feed on the homepage results in a firefox hang for me.

In most cases I only see a 'loading detonator.dynamitedata' at the bottom left corner of a white screen (if I got that slightly wrong, its cause i cant check it right now without crashing this post). Anyhow the page never loads and from that point firefox and any open tabs are hung. Using the back button or trying to load a new page will appear to load indefinitely.

If I try just restarting Firefox from a hang state , it loads my homepage indefinitely. If I close firefox and then kill the firefox process that stays running in task manager it usually tries to reload the anandtech link I previously attempted to visit and induces a new hang. Occasionally the browser decides to load my homepage instead of the previous anandtech link which leaves me with a working browser. At any rate clicking a link on the main page is like playing russian roulette, or walking through a minefield. Neither seem to have much appeal to me...

I have not experienced this problem on any other site and as far as I can tell, it is only happening when clicking on an Anandtech article (dailytech links seem to be working fine). The only other common denominator I see is the Detonator.dynamitedata.

Quite frustrating, especially in light of not being able to enter any of the recent drawings.

As near as I can tell, dynamitedata can suck me.

Hi SkyBum,

I would seriously question that it is our servers causing this behavior. The only thing that is loaded from us on an Anandtech article is potentially 3 small merchant logos as shown in an example here:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4295/intel-cedar-trail-platform

I run the exact same configuration Browser/OS configuration, and have never had an issue. I can't even fathom how we would be capable of crashing a browser with the loading of these 3 small images. You can try adding "127.0.0.1 detonator.dynamitedata.com" to your hosts file to isolate our server out of the equation. There must be something else on your system that is causing a conflict.

Thanks,

Matt
Dynamite Data

SkyBum

Oct 16, 2004
It seems you are absolutely correct Matt. I owe you an apology. On further inspection I had been infected by a nasty batch of viruses (long story there), mostly java related. Having cleaned up the system, the site is no longer hanging Firefox.

I really should have been above pointing fingers so harshly, especially based on nothing more than supposition and I regret having said what I said. I'll take this as a lesson going into the future...

M.

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
A link I posted in Hot Deals is being redirected to shopper.com instead of properly to the newegg item.

Thread Link in the op APPEARS correct.

Actual link:
h**p://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152185

(replace the *'s with t's, duh)