Problems With Dynamite Data?

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Any time I link to Amazon, Newegg, or IMDB. It hiccups whenever I click on the link to check it. Sometimes the page never comes up. Ditto other peoples links. Never happens with youtube, but I dont know when you guys use Dynamite or not. I never see the refer link in the lower left corner, but it could be going so fast I cant see it.

I dont know if it matters but I'm using Chrome 9 with adblock and Java block. However I do not have ads or Java blocked on this site or any of the above sites.

Skurge

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2009
Yeah, when linking to newegg, It takes me to a completely different section from the one I linked. Its only on rare occasions though.

DynamiteMatt

Jun 9, 2010
Any time I link to Amazon, Newegg, or IMDB. It hiccups whenever I click on the link to check it. Sometimes the page never comes up. Ditto other peoples links. Never happens with youtube, but I dont know when you guys use Dynamite or not. I never see the refer link in the lower left corner, but it could be going so fast I cant see it.

I dont know if it matters but I'm using Chrome 9 with adblock and Java block. However I do not have ads or Java blocked on this site or any of the above sites.

Hi shortylickens,

We have been working hard to improve the speed and stability of our redirector. Because of the affiliate process, a user may be passed through multiple servers beyond our own before reaching the intended product page. There is little we can do to speed this process up. Even so, the time it takes should be minimal (under a few seconds).

Newegg will probably generally have a longer affiliation time. Amazon should be one of the fastest. IMDB links should not be passing through our servers at all, and any delay you are experiencing is purely the result of their website.

Please let us know if you are able to find any specific cases of problems where the page never loads and we will look into it immediately.

Thanks,

Matt
Dynamite Data

DynamiteMatt

Jun 9, 2010
Yeah, when linking to newegg, It takes me to a completely different section from the one I linked. Its only on rare occasions though.

Hi Skurge,

That behavior should definitely not be happening. If you run into any specific examples again, please post or message me and I can look into it immediately.

Thanks,

Matt
Dynamite Data

Numenorean

Diamond Member
Oct 26, 2008
1: It sucks.

2: It often takes 2 minutes just to bring up a link, if not longer, if it ever does bring up a link at all. So I used URL shorteners to prevent this issue. But since you've been blocking URL shorteners so that people have to use this dynamite data crap I've just been posting product ID's that people can paste into NewEgg, etc. so they don't have to bother with this crap.

3: Basically I frown upon anything that distorts a link I post into something else. It's like I'm spamming the forums when that happens, and nobody likes spammers.

Skurge

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2009
It doesn't seem to be happening anymore, usually when I would link to a search result it would take me to a different section. Like if would link to the hardware section and the link would take people to the Windows 7 section for example.

I'll post it here if its happens again.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
the prob with it is that we use it at all, just flat out remove it and we wont have anymore issues

Thats fine but can you guarantee everyone here will stop using adblock, cuz anandtech needs money one way or another.

Soundmanred

Lifer
Oct 26, 2006
I can't count the times this crap doesn't work right, or work at all.
Now I just read the post and then go to whatever website is linked and look for the item (or whatever) instead of clicking the link.
At least that way I know where I'm going.
There have to be better options.
I do agree with a quote from their website - "Our technology is revolutionary and disruptive."
Sadly, I agree with the latter.

Last edited:

Mike Gayner

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2007
DD links work maybe 25% of the time for me. Most of the time they redirect to a completely unrelated page from a completely unrelated vendor.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
Thats fine but can you guarantee everyone here will stop using adblock, cuz anandtech needs money one way or another.

TBH i think most people would not have issues with adds is they were simply text adds. however big flashy flash graphic adds piss people off so they get blocked

DynamiteMatt

Jun 9, 2010
1: It sucks.

2: It often takes 2 minutes just to bring up a link, if not longer, if it ever does bring up a link at all. So I used URL shorteners to prevent this issue. But since you've been blocking URL shorteners so that people have to use this dynamite data crap I've just been posting product ID's that people can paste into NewEgg, etc. so they don't have to bother with this crap.

3: Basically I frown upon anything that distorts a link I post into something else. It's like I'm spamming the forums when that happens, and nobody likes spammers.

Hi Numenorean,

There was a time at which the redirector was very slow, but we have made significant architectural and code level improvements over the last few weeks, and it should no longer be exhibiting issues.

The redirector is necessary to financially support Anandtech. Many other forums use similar technology. The technology is only applied to merchant urls. The best we can do is address any specific redirect problems you may be having with it.

If you could cite any current cases where the redirect takes an abnormally high length of time, I would be happy to look into it.

Thanks,

Matt
Dynamite Data

DynamiteMatt

Jun 9, 2010
It doesn't seem to be happening anymore, usually when I would link to a search result it would take me to a different section. Like if would link to the hardware section and the link would take people to the Windows 7 section for example.

I'll post it here if its happens again.

Hi Skurge,

Thanks, we appreciate any time spent to detail an issue.

Matt
Dynamite Data

DynamiteMatt

Jun 9, 2010
the prob with it is that we use it at all, just flat out remove it and we wont have anymore issues

Hi Anubis,

The redirector is necessary to financially support Anandtech. It also deters spammers from posting links, since the technology removes their tags.

We believe we have corrected most of the speed and stability issues, but please let us know if you have any current problems.

Thanks,

Matt
Dynamite Data

DynamiteMatt

Jun 9, 2010
I can't count the times this crap doesn't work right, or work at all.
Now I just read the post and then go to whatever website is linked and look for the item (or whatever) instead of clicking the link.
At least that way I know where I'm going.
There have to be better options.
I do agree with a quote from their website - "Our technology is revolutionary and disruptive."
Sadly, I agree with the latter.

Hi Soundmanred,

We'd like you to give us another chance. There were some speed and stability issues in the past, but we believe we have corrected most if not all of them.

Ultimately, the redirector is necessary to support AnandTech. Any time spent reporting a specific issue would be immensely appreciated, and I would look into it right away.

Thanks,

Matt
Dynamite Data

DynamiteMatt

Jun 9, 2010
DD links work maybe 25% of the time for me. Most of the time they redirect to a completely unrelated page from a completely unrelated vendor.

Hi Mike Gayner,

We manually check the links in the Hot Deals forum daily. I have not been able to reproduce this behavior. You may want to check that you do not have anything else installed that may be disrupting your browsing.

If you could provide a specific example of this happening, I would be happy to look into it.

Thanks,

Matt
Dynamite Data

Numenorean

Diamond Member
Oct 26, 2008
Hi Numenorean,

There was a time at which the redirector was very slow, but we have made significant architectural and code level improvements over the last few weeks, and it should no longer be exhibiting issues.

The redirector is necessary to financially support Anandtech. Many other forums use similar technology. The technology is only applied to merchant urls. The best we can do is address any specific redirect problems you may be having with it.

If you could cite any current cases where the redirect takes an abnormally high length of time, I would be happy to look into it.

Thanks,

Matt
Dynamite Data

Pretty much any time that I have actually clicked on it it takes forever.

I have stopped clicking on redirect links and if I need to follow it I use the ID of the product in the link.

If the only way to survive financially is by surreptitiously replacing links in posts to some other company, then you need to rethink what you're doing.

Numenorean

Diamond Member
Oct 26, 2008
Hi Mike Gayner,

We manually check the links in the Hot Deals forum daily. I have not been able to reproduce this behavior. You may want to check that you do not have anything else installed that may be disrupting your browsing.

If you could provide a specific example of this happening, I would be happy to look into it.

Thanks,

Matt
Dynamite Data

You're just checking one forum?

Linking to NewEgg and other sites is very common in the General Hardware and Computer Help forums where help is provided in recommendations to others for computer upgrades and such. That's where I have run into the problems with a link saying NewEgg and going to CNet's Shopper.com or whatever their crappy site is.

I posted about it, but by the time someone else looked at it it was "fixed" somehow.

Anyway, I will continue not using the redirect to point out products since I prefer for my links to go where I link to and not somewhere else.

Soundmanred

Lifer
Oct 26, 2006
Hi Soundmanred,

We'd like you to give us another chance. There were some speed and stability issues in the past, but we believe we have corrected most if not all of them.

Ultimately, the redirector is necessary to support AnandTech. Any time spent reporting a specific issue would be immensely appreciated, and I would look into it right away.

Thanks,

Matt
Dynamite Data

I'll be honest and say that while I support the forums, I'd rather pay a subscription fee than beta test your software. It doesn't matter to me why it doesn't work, only that it doesn't work.
As far as I can tell, it's still slow and still doesn't connect to where it's supposed to (or at all) half the time and that's unacceptable.
I would love nothing more than the software to work, but it's obvious to me and many other members that it simply isn't the case.

mnewsham

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
You're just checking one forum?

Linking to NewEgg and other sites is very common in the General Hardware and Computer Help forums where help is provided in recommendations to others for computer upgrades and such. That's where I have run into the problems with a link saying NewEgg and going to CNet's Shopper.com or whatever their crappy site is.

I posted about it, but by the time someone else looked at it it was "fixed" somehow.

Anyway, I will continue not using the redirect to point out products since I prefer for my links to go where I link to and not somewhere else.

What ISP do you have and what speed is your connection? I have verizon FIOS and i have 25Mb/s upload and download and notice few or no delays when clicking on a DD link. And any delay i do experience is no ore then 10 seconds.