Problem with Catalyst 6.6 + ATI Tool overclocking

deadseasquirrel

Golden Member
Nov 20, 2001
Well, I guess I can't say it's a for-sure problem with the drivers or with ATI Tool. Here's what's happening:

I install the plain 6.6, keep ATI Tool running, and movies (avi, mpg, etc) play fine.

Install the 6.6. chuck patch, keep ATI Tool running, movies hard-crash the system.

If I exit out of ATI Tool, with the 6.6 Chuck, movies play fine.

So, it's definitely something with the 6.6 Chuck + ATI Tool together, cuz it didn't happen with the 6.3 Chucks (skipped the others).

Any ideas? And is anyone else noticing the same issue?

deadseasquirrel

Golden Member
Nov 20, 2001
Unfortunately, there is no Chuck patch for the 6.7s. Granted, I haven't been playing Oblivion *near* as much as I was before, but I'd still like to keep HDR+AA for that. As I said, the stock 6.6 works fine. It's the Chuck patch + ATI Tool that kills videos.

WaTaGuMp

Lifer
May 10, 2001
Originally posted by: Dr J
Ok, I give,

what's a "Chuck patch?"

John

Its the Ati patch to make HDR and AA work toegther in Oblivion. Its pretty much display drivers and fixes for the game.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Originally posted by: WaTaGuMp
Ok, I give,

what's a "Chuck patch?"

John

Its the Ati patch to make HDR and AA work toegther in Oblivion. Its pretty much display drivers and fixes for the game.

I'd wait for ATI to release this as part of the driver before using it.

LittleNemoNES

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
Works perfectly for me -- are you sure you're not doing something else wrong?
BTW you can try downloading the chuck drivers and using Catalyst control center 6.7. That's what I'm doing 6.6 chuck + 6.7 catalyst control center + WDM -- wait that's probably the problem. Download the WDM drivers too!

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="https://support.ati.com/ics/support/default.asp?deptID=894&task=knowledge&questionID=640">https://support.ati.com/ics/support/......=894&task=knowledge&questionID=640</a>

WaTaGuMp

Lifer
May 10, 2001
Originally posted by: cmdrdredd
Ok, I give,

what's a "Chuck patch?"

John

Huh what do you mean cause I used the 6.6 cats/chuckpatch to install and test HDR on my new comp.

WaTaGuMp

Lifer
May 10, 2001
Originally posted by: gersson
Works perfectly for me -- are you sure you're not doing something else wrong?
BTW you can try downloading the chuck drivers and using Catalyst control center 6.7. That's what I'm doing 6.6 chuck + 6.7 catalyst control center + WDM -- wait that's probably the problem. Download the WDM drivers too!

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="https://support.ati.com/ics/support/def...ptID=894&task=knowledge&questionID=640"><a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="https://support.ati.com/ics/support/default.asp?deptID=894&task=knowledge&questionID=640">https://support.ati.com/ics/suppo.........&task=knowledge&questionID=640</a></a>

Thsi is exactly what I am using also.

deadseasquirrel

Golden Member
Nov 20, 2001

That's probably my problem. Will give it a try when I get home from the office and report back!

edit: though I am confused as to why videos play fine when I quit ATI Tool, then crash my machine with ATI Tool running. That's keeping the drivers the same. :confused:

deadseasquirrel

Golden Member
Nov 20, 2001
Well, I tried that, and it didn't work. I even tried the 6.7s with WDM, etc. If I have ATI Tool running (even without the chuck patch), videos crash. If I close down ATI Tool, with *any* driver, videos play fine. I have to revert back to 6.3 Cats in order to use ATI Tool + chuck patch + playing videos.

Is there anyone using any of the recent Catalyst drivers *with* ATI Tool for overclocking/fan/voltage and has no problems with video playback?

WaTaGuMp

Lifer
May 10, 2001
Originally posted by: deadseasquirrel
Well, I tried that, and it didn't work. I even tried the 6.7s with WDM, etc. If I have ATI Tool running (even without the chuck patch), videos crash. If I close down ATI Tool, with *any* driver, videos play fine. I have to revert back to 6.3 Cats in order to use ATI Tool + chuck patch + playing videos.

Is there anyone using any of the recent Catalyst drivers *with* ATI Tool for overclocking/fan/voltage and has no problems with video playback?

Are you overclocking, Cause when I had mine clocked to 702/774 plqaying videos would lock my comp up and this was using Ati Tools. I am no longer overclocking and everything works fine.

Elfear

Diamond Member
May 30, 2004
If you're overclocking with ATI Tool have you disabled the two ATI services? I'm using Chuck Patch, Cat 6.6, and ATI Tool just fine although I haven't tried to play any movies yet.

deadseasquirrel

Golden Member
Nov 20, 2001
Are you overclocking, Cause when I had mine clocked to 702/774 plqaying videos would lock my comp up and this was using Ati Tools. I am no longer overclocking and everything works fine.

Yep, I'm using ATI Tool for overclocking, adjusting voltages, and auto-adjusting fan speed based on temps. If I exit out of ATI Tool, videos play fine. I haven't tried keeping ATI Tool running and not overclocking (that wouldn't be an ideal solution).

Originally posted by: Elfear
If you're overclocking with ATI Tool have you disabled the two ATI services? I'm using Chuck Patch, Cat 6.6, and ATI Tool just fine although I haven't tried to play any movies yet.

I disabled those 2 services the first time I installed ATI Tool and ATI Tray Tools Beta 6 or so months ago. I doubt that they've re-enabled, but I can check when I get home. Try playing some WMV or AVIs if you can (with any proggie... all of crashed on mine-- WMP, Divx, DVD players, Vlan, etc).

It's odd, but it all goes away if I revert back to 6.3 Cats.

WaTaGuMp

Lifer
May 10, 2001

Yep, I'm using ATI Tool for overclocking, adjusting voltages, and auto-adjusting fan speed based on temps. If I exit out of ATI Tool, videos play fine. I haven't tried keeping ATI Tool running and not overclocking (that wouldn't be an ideal solution).

Originally posted by: Elfear

I disabled those 2 services the first time I installed ATI Tool and ATI Tray Tools Beta 6 or so months ago. I doubt that they've re-enabled, but I can check when I get home. Try playing some WMV or AVIs if you can (with any proggie... all of crashed on mine-- WMP, Divx, DVD players, Vlan, etc).

It's odd, but it all goes away if I revert back to 6.3 Cats.

Try this then instead of exiting it load the dafault profile (aka stock settings) and play a video see if it crashes, sounds to me like your overclock is causing the crashes just like mine did. I could use default settings with Ati Tool still running and not have issues. The whole swithcing profiles thing is one reason I just said screw the overclocking.

TheRyuu

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2005
Yes there is a chuck patch for 6.7
At least in theory there is.
Text

Those are the Xtreme-G Warcats 6.7 from tweaksrus. In the description (which isn't there) it said that they think they got the chuck patch working right with them.

Worth a shot right?

deadseasquirrel

Golden Member
Nov 20, 2001
Try this then instead of exiting it load the dafault profile (aka stock settings) and play a video see if it crashes, sounds to me like your overclock is causing the crashes just like mine did. I could use default settings with Ati Tool still running and not have issues. The whole swithcing profiles thing is one reason I just said screw the overclocking.

Just tried that and you're spot-on. Didn't crash. So, something in the profile I have created (core setting, mem setting, fan override, or voltage control) isn't jiving with Cats later than 6.3. I've never had a crash playing any game with those overclocked settings. The only issue is the videos. And I *just* found that out since I've been using Cat 6.3 until now.

These are the 2 configs that work for me:
Catalyst 6.3 + ATI Tool using overclocking + playing videos
Catalyst 6.5/6/7 + ATI Tool *using default profile with NO overclocking* + playing videos

Well, at least that narrows it down. I'm gonna drill down into my settings in ATI Tool and change each one back to default one at a time to see if I can isolate which one is causing the issue.

At this point, I'm fine with using 6.6 Chuck + ATI Tool and only loading the overclocking profile when playing a game, then loading back default when not (so kids/wife/myself can play vids without a problem). I just wanna see if I can find out the exact setting causing the problem if I can.

WaTaGuMp

Lifer
May 10, 2001

Just tried that and you're spot-on. Didn't crash. So, something in the profile I have created (core setting, mem setting, fan override, or voltage control) isn't jiving with Cats later than 6.3. I've never had a crash playing any game with those overclocked settings. The only issue is the videos. And I *just* found that out since I've been using Cat 6.3 until now.

These are the 2 configs that work for me:
Catalyst 6.3 + ATI Tool using overclocking + playing videos
Catalyst 6.5/6/7 + ATI Tool *using default profile with NO overclocking* + playing videos

Well, at least that narrows it down. I'm gonna drill down into my settings in ATI Tool and change each one back to default one at a time to see if I can isolate which one is causing the issue.

At this point, I'm fine with using 6.6 Chuck + ATI Tool and only loading the overclocking profile when playing a game, then loading back default when not (so kids/wife/myself can play vids without a problem). I just wanna see if I can find out the exact setting causing the problem if I can.

I wasnt sure either if it was cause of profiles or cause of overclocking all I know is the same thing was going on for me, games benchmarks all worked temps ran 55-57 under load but when I tried to watch a video BOOM. If you find some thing out let me know but for now I will just run stock its not like my X1900XT is slow. The other thing I saw was if I lowered my core and memory settings then instead of crashing Ati Tools would devert back to default on its own and then sometimes the video would play. These kinds of things are why I hate overclocking I wanna click and have things work without spending time tweaking or changing profiles etc etc, plug and play sorta deal. :)

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Originally posted by: cmdrdredd
Ok, I give,

what's a "Chuck patch?"

John

Huh what do you mean cause I used the 6.6 cats/chuckpatch to install and test HDR on my new comp.

there's probably a reason it's not integrated right into the driver

Mar 19, 2003
I haven't had any success with ATI Tool overclocking since Cat 6.3 (though I haven't tried it on 6.7 yet). Always resets to 2D clocks in certain situations, like playing videos or starting certain games (FEAR comes to mind). Some things work fine, but not all, which makes the overclocking kinda useless. So for now I just use CCC Overdrive for overclocking and ATI Tool for fan control (IMO the stock settings in the driver ramp up the fan way too slowly, I realize the fan is kinda loud at 100% but I'd rather have 70°C and loud than 90°C+ and not as loud).

WaTaGuMp

Lifer
May 10, 2001
Originally posted by: SynthDude2001
I haven't had any success with ATI Tool overclocking since Cat 6.3 (though I haven't tried it on 6.7 yet). Always resets to 2D clocks in certain situations, like playing videos or starting certain games (FEAR comes to mind). Some things work fine, but not all, which makes the overclocking kinda useless. So for now I just use CCC Overdrive for overclocking and ATI Tool for fan control (IMO the stock settings in the driver ramp up the fan way too slowly, I realize the fan is kinda loud at 100% but I'd rather have 70°C and loud than 90°C+ and not as loud).

How does CCC and overdrive allow overclocking manually all I have seen is the tool that sets it for you.

the Chase

Golden Member
Sep 22, 2005
The problem is ATI Tool does not work right with any drivers later than 6.3. Certain movie files cause crashes with ATI Tool running. Bf2 would crash on me with the opening intro "movie". If I got past the intro and alt tabbed out of game I could start up ATI Tool and alt tab back in no problem. No known cure for this. Wish ATI Tool creator or ATI driver team would fix this....I just gave up on ATI Tool and don't use it anymore.

WaTaGuMp

Lifer
May 10, 2001
Originally posted by: the Chase
The problem is ATI Tool does not work right with any drivers later than 6.3. Certain movie files cause crashes with ATI Tool running. Bf2 would crash on me with the opening intro "movie". If I got past the intro and alt tabbed out of game I could start up ATI Tool and alt tab back in no problem. No known cure for this. Wish ATI Tool creator or ATI driver team would fix this....I just gave up on ATI Tool and don't use it anymore.

Hmm what else can overclock the Ati cards then with 6.6 cats since its an issue with Ati Tools i wouldnt mind trying something else.