Problem with a neighbor

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SVT Cobra

Lifer
Mar 29, 2005
KICK ASS DUDE!!!

I hope you have a garage for your vehicles though, don't want their asshole son doing something.

Number1

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2006
Now that you made your point consider the following:

Your neighbours are getting old, probably a little senile. It's not their fault.

They have always been nice to you up to this point.

They care VERY much (old lady was in tears according to one of your post) about the look of the fence.

They might be stuck to look at your ugly fence color for the rest of their life.

You have nothing to gain by having the neighbour mad at you.

Why don't you be the nice guy, ask them to buy some paint of the color of their choice and paint their side of the fence for them.

That way everybody is happy and you have the moral high ground.

Bryophyte

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
If they don't like the look of the fence, they should build their own fence in front of it, on their own property. :)

bctbct

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2005
I give it 2 more days and the feeble old man will burn that fcuker to the ground :D

wyvrn

Lifer
Feb 15, 2000
Originally posted by: Number1

Your neighbours are getting old, probably a little senile. It's not their fault.

They care VERY much (old lady was in tears according to one of your post) about the look of the fence.

They might be stuck to look at your ugly fence color for the rest of their life.

Why don't you be the nice guy, ask them to buy some paint of the color of their choice and paint their side of the fence for them.

The way they were nice and hired a contractor and tried to make me pay for it? The way they were nice and threatened and bullied me? If I caved now they wouldn't have any respect for me. ALL they care about is getting what they want. If they were decent people, they would have apologized for being jerks. But they aren't going to, and therefore, they have the option of building their own fence.

bigdog1218

Golden Member
Mar 7, 2001
Originally posted by: wyvrn
<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Number1

</end quote></div>

The way they were nice and hired a contractor and tried to make me pay for it? The way they were nice and threatened and bullied me? If I caved now they wouldn't have any respect for me. ALL they care about is getting what they want. If they were decent people, they would have apologized for being jerks. But they aren't going to, and therefore, they have the option of building their own fence.

All you had to do was say no I'm not going to pay for a fence built on your property, but instead you wanted to tell them how a fence on their property should look like. Sounds to me like your the jerk and the bully. And why the hell did you secretly rip out the poles? Or throw the waste in their yard? As far as her kids treating you like crap, congratulations on not taking the high road and acting just like them. I hope I never have to deal with a neighbor like you.

wyvrn

Lifer
Feb 15, 2000
<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: bigdog1218
<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: wyvrn
<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Number1

</end quote></div>

The way they were nice and hired a contractor and tried to make me pay for it? The way they were nice and threatened and bullied me? If I caved now they wouldn't have any respect for me. ALL they care about is getting what they want. If they were decent people, they would have apologized for being jerks. But they aren't going to, and therefore, they have the option of building their own fence.</end quote></div>

All you had to do was say no I'm not going to pay for a fence built on your property, but instead you wanted to tell them how a fence on their property should look like. Sounds to me like your the jerk and the bully. And why the hell did you secretly rip out the poles? Or throw the waste in their yard? As far as her kids treating you like crap, congratulations on not taking the high road and acting just like them. I hope I never have to deal with a neighbor like you.</end quote></div>

I didn't say no to building the fence because it bordered both our yards, and was the nice thing to do. We were both going to get the benefit of it, so why not chip in? I have always either offered to pay half or do the work. Yes I could have said no, but then I would have been a jerk and it didn't solve the problem of the old fence falling down in my yard. I was trying to be the nice guy and help the old couple out. I also wanted the fence for privacy reasons, so this seemed like a way for both of us to get what we wanted.

I didn't tell them how the fence should look like. We agreed on terms on the type of wood, size, length, general cost parameters, etc.. Did you even read the OP at all? We had a conversation in which we agreed in principle on everything imaginable. I didn't bully them, I simply offered an alternative to a contractor job that was going to yield a shoddy product, and THEY AGREED. The problems didn't start until the neighbors' son berated and threatened me on the phone after they hold told me everything was fine.

Lastly, I didn't secretly do anything. I am in full view of their property. Once they rescinded their agreement, I simply moved the poles, in broad daylight, to my property. After all, I had paid for them. Should I have just given them $150 worth of fence poles and the concrete to boot to build their own fence with after they broke their end of the agreement, twice?

I understand you trying to see both sides, but you really need to be able to organize the events chronilogically in your head. You seem not to comprehend what came first and who started the disagreements. Would you not hold them responsible for their behavior if they had treated you this way?

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: HomeBrewerDude
Two wrongs don't make a right. You and your neighbors have successfully acted impulsively.

Nice fence though.

you are right. two wrongs don't make a right.

they shouldnt have talked to a contracter and try to make him pay for half without talking ot him. the son shouldnt have come and threatened him and coplain about stupid stuff.

you do that kind of stuff you piss off people who are trying to work with you and give you a cheaper way for waht they want.

StartingLine

Banned
Jun 25, 2007
OMG LMAO!!! i cant believe you actually had the guts to go through with painting their side all those crazy colors, well, all I can say is you tried to give them every chance you could but they just wouldnt quit, I am sure everyone learned some lesson here.

MrDudeMan

Lifer
Jan 15, 2001
Originally posted by: HomeBrewerDude
Two wrongs don't make a right. You and your neighbors have successfully acted impulsively.

Nice fence though.

I love holier than thou people. OP did something somewhat childish, but I would have done the exact same thing.

He was trying to be a nice guy and was physically threatened at least once. That is absolutely uncalled for and I can't believe most of you ***** idiots can't see that. It really annoys me when people are that stupid (1 post up and a few posts above that for example).

Dec 27, 2001
Um, why did you put the decorative side of the panels facing them? My neighbor weaseled out of responsibility for a fence between us that fell down in a storm and I put the panels up with the rails and poles on their side.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: MrDudeMan
<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: HomeBrewerDude

Nice fence though.</end quote></div>

I love holier than thou people. OP did something somewhat childish, but I would have done the exact same thing.

He was trying to be a nice guy and was physically threatened at least once. That is absolutely uncalled for and I can't believe most of you ***** idiots can't see that. It really annoys me when people are that stupid (1 post up and a few posts above that for example).

and what post is that? mine?

StartingLine

Banned
Jun 25, 2007
Originally posted by: PricklyPete
Awesome. My neighbors on either side have been great so far (crosses fingers), but you never know when one will turn on you. When I first moved in, one of the neighbors behind us complained about our dog who was barking a lot (only the first day or so as she was adjusting to the new property). I subsequently learned that the neighbor has complained about every single dog on the block at some point or another. I just ignored and the problem went away on its own (dog stopped barking once she settled in).

What really gets me is how infantile the sons were being. Older people can be expected to start getting infantile with age...but their kids should be keeping them in check.

ah I dont really agree, I have a brother and my mom is pretty teary eyed gets all wound up for no reason. I am sure she called the son crying and saying that the neighbor was trying to ruin the fence for no reason and made up all these assumptions about what the OP was trying to do. You know moms, thats just how they are! I am sure the sons were trying to protect their mom but they should have known their mom was a drama queen by now, oh well whats done is done! Maybe next summer you can repaint their fence after they learned a lesson.

middlehead

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2004
Originally posted by: HeroOfPellinor
Um, why did you put the decorative side of the panels facing them? My neighbor weaseled out of responsibility for a fence between us that fell down in a storm and I put the panels up with the rails and poles on their side.
Might be city regulations that the 'utility' side of a fence has to face toward the owner's yard.

Felisity

Sep 1, 2002
<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: ballmode
poison their cat if they got one</end quote></div>

Uhm... this thread is about a FENCE, not about killing animals who have nothing to do with the disagreement. I hope that's a joke, if not you're a sad, sad, person.

Back to the topic....
:thumbsup:I would've done the same thing the OP did.... those people were extremists. They deserve to stare at a lavender and green striped fence. They are lucky the OP's left-over paints didn't include colors like "neon orange" - "lime green" - or - "hot pink"

Turin39789

Lifer
Nov 21, 2000
Originally posted by: middlehead
<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: HeroOfPellinor
Um, why did you put the decorative side of the panels facing them? My neighbor weaseled out of responsibility for a fence between us that fell down in a storm and I put the panels up with the rails and poles on their side.</end quote></div>
Might be city regulations that the 'utility' side of a fence has to face toward the owner's yard.

I've always understood that the side with the posts is the house that the fence belongs to.

"The normal rule with garden fences, such as palisade fencing, is that the fence belongs to the side on which the fence posts stand. This is because the more attractive side, that has the fence posts hidden, usually faces outwards from the property it encloses. "

But in reality it's probably more of an issue of whose property it is on

DaShen

Lifer
Dec 1, 2000
Originally posted by: StartingLine
<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: PricklyPete
Awesome. My neighbors on either side have been great so far (crosses fingers), but you never know when one will turn on you. When I first moved in, one of the neighbors behind us complained about our dog who was barking a lot (only the first day or so as she was adjusting to the new property). I subsequently learned that the neighbor has complained about every single dog on the block at some point or another. I just ignored and the problem went away on its own (dog stopped barking once she settled in).

What really gets me is how infantile the sons were being. Older people can be expected to start getting infantile with age...but their kids should be keeping them in check.</end quote></div>

ah I dont really agree, I have a brother and my mom is pretty teary eyed gets all wound up for no reason. I am sure she called the son crying and saying that the neighbor was trying to ruin the fence for no reason and made up all these assumptions about what the OP was trying to do. You know moms, thats just how they are! I am sure the sons were trying to protect their mom but they should have known their mom was a drama queen by now, oh well whats done is done! Maybe next summer you can repaint their fence after they learned a lesson.

Yup, but even still the sons sound like they are just as much of a drama queen as the mother. The neighbors were definitely wrong for not being civil about it, but escalating it by doing that may only make her sons really try to hurt you, and will only make things worse. I would have just taken it to court or not agreed to do anything after they decided to back off of the agreement twice. The lady can gripe and moan all she wants. Shoot I would just take the material and store it, and wait for things to settle. If they realize that they were being stupid, then we would talk, but otherwise why bother? Doing the paint thing only made things worse.

CrackRabbit

Lifer
Mar 30, 2001
I hereby nominate this thread for ownage of the year.
Your neighbors deserved everything they got. :)