Printing my own checks-> Do i need special paper, or will plain printer paper work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
I usually reorder my checks from those online check printing places.

I'm just curious if i print the checks myself, do i need any special paper and ink?

or can i just use my printer with regular 8x11 paper? then just trim the check?

Since this question was asked 9 yrs ago, I doubt the OP still has any interest in an answer.
admin allisolm

Last edited by a moderator:

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
you can use normal paper

many businesses use MICR toner (magnetic) so that the banks can use check readers on them, but you don't have to

DingDingDao

Diamond Member
Jun 9, 2004
Printing on regular paper seems like a huge security risk to me. Then again, I haven't used paper checks in years, so maybe the technology has gotten better...

EyeMWing

Banned
Jun 13, 2003
Technically speaking, there's nothing wrong with it. But n00bs wouldn't know how to deal with it, and banks would have to process them manually. You should at least get security paper and MICR toner for your laser printer.

Legendary

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2002
I can tell you for a fact that many banks will not take a check that does not have MICR (magnetic) encoding on it. If you have a MICR encoder, feel free to print your checks, otherwise just reorder them.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Originally posted by: EyeMWing
Technically speaking, there's nothing wrong with it. But n00bs wouldn't know how to deal with it, and banks would have to process them manually. You should at least get security paper and MICR toner for your laser printer.

i was thinking my HP inkjet :Q

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
i don't think they make MICR ink for inkjets, we had a project at work where we needed a super cheap/low power printer that could do MICR and didn't find one

EyeMWing

Banned
Jun 13, 2003
Originally posted by: FoBoT
i don't think they make MICR ink for inkjets, we had a project at work where we needed a super cheap/low power printer that could do MICR and didn't find one

Laserjet 1012

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: smack Down
I don't think anyone would accept a check printed on plain paper

They should providing nothing is on the front or back of them indicating there should be microprint and/or a watermark.

It's not that hard though to create checks that equal or rival those you'd have printed professionally anymore.

Injury

Lifer
Jul 19, 2004
Is $10-20 for checks REALLY worth the complications and security risk of printing your own checks?

I'd think less about someone thinking they are fraudulent and more about what if someone got ahold of the file you print them from.

mcvickj

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2001
After looking at that page with the paper and toner cartridge I would just buy the checks.

smack Down

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2005
Originally posted by: Injury
Is $10-20 for checks REALLY worth the complications and security risk of printing your own checks?

I'd think less about someone thinking they are fraudulent and more about what if someone got ahold of the file you print them from.

There is no security risks. The only risks is people taking one look at the check on plain paper and assuming it is fake and refusing to take it. Every check you use has all the information on it to make a copy.

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
if you are looking for the cheapest way to write a small number of checks, then get a hot deal from rossman/gottadeal for normal checks

i get mine from walmart.com

printing your own in small numbers will not be the cheapest solution

TankGuys

Golden Member
Jun 3, 2005
*technically* speaking, the only thing that is needed to make a 'valid' check is the routing number, account number, payee, signature, and amount. You could write it in grape juice on the back of a walmart receipt, and for legal purposes, it's a legal check.

That does not, of course, mean everyone will accept it!

Injury

Lifer
Jul 19, 2004

There is no security risks. The only risks is people taking one look at the check on plain paper and assuming it is fake and refusing to take it. Every check you use has all the information on it to make a copy.

Exactly the point I was making. Say, for some odd reason, he gets l337 h4x0red and they get the file that he prints the checks from... all someone has to do is fire up their inkjet and suddenly they can spend like him. All they have to do is change the name on the check to match their ID and that's that.

smack Down

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2005

Exactly the point I was making. Say, for some odd reason, he gets l337 h4x0red and they get the file that he prints the checks from... all someone has to do is fire up their inkjet and suddenly they can spend like him. All they have to do is change the name on the check to match their ID and that's that.

You don't need to hax0r the computer just get a job a wal-mart and you can get 100s of numbers.

Injury

Lifer
Jul 19, 2004

You don't need to hax0r the computer just get a job a wal-mart and you can get 100s of numbers.

If you're working at Walmart you're probably too stupid to figure out those are numbers. But just because you can do that doesn't mean that a file couldn't get stolen.

Status
Not open for further replies.